Windows 10: Icons used to be on taskbar?

Discus and support Icons used to be on taskbar? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; HP Envy desktop came with Windows 10 Home already loaded. Set it up with my program shorcut icons in the taskbar. Everything working just fine for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by flycaster, Dec 23, 2015.

1. flycaster Win User

Icons used to be on taskbar?

HP Envy desktop came with Windows 10 Home already loaded. Set it up with my program shorcut icons in the taskbar. Everything working just fine for days, and then all of a sudden (well maybe not as I had just installed updates from MS) the taskbar no longer shows those icons and the Windows Start/Search/taskview icons on the left and the HP Support/Notification icons on the right show but all are inactive. Looked t some of the responses on this forum, but didn't try any of them (except starting explorer which made no difference) as they may not be pertinent to my problem. Help certainly appreciated.

:)

flycaster, Dec 23, 2015

2. Windows Scan App Doesn't Find Scanner

I connect to an HP 4650 MFC on an office wireless network, and an HP 5540 MFC on my
    home wireless network.

I am at home trying to use the Windows Scan app. It will only attempt to connect to the 4650 - the
    office scanner, even though I am at home.

The drop-down box does not drop to another option.

I have "Let Windows manage my default printer" checked.

I have run the troubleshooter and rebooted.

When I go to Printers and Scanners=>HP 5540=>Manage, I get a drop-down under "This device has a few different functions." If I drop it down and select "Scanner: HPB9EA7F (HP Envy 5540 Series", there is a button labeled "Open Scanner". When I click
    on that, it re-opens the Windows Scan app, which only shows the (office) 4650.

The little blue "I'm thinking/I'm looking" circle spins endlessly.

I Used to Be RJB, Dec 23, 2015
  3. Embedded Windows 7 to be used on Tablet

How can an Embedded windows 7 operating system program on Intermec be converted to work on a windows tablet

purplehead, Dec 23, 2015
  4. davidhk Win User

There can be a few possible solutions.
    Let's start with a more "standard, traditional" solution............
    Do a system restore. Pick a date when you did NOT have this problem as your restore point.
    System Restore Windows 10

If that works, case close.
    If not, we'll try next possible solution.

davidhk, Dec 23, 2015
  5. flycaster Win User
    I may try your suggestion when I have time tomorrow and will be able to better handle the ensuing aggravation. However, there is another wrinkle to report on this problem. I now note that when I pass the cursor through the blackened taskbar, I will see the light outline of boxes and holding the cursor over these boxes will bring up...nothing showing in the boxes, but their names do show on hovering and when left clicked, the program becomes activated. Also, when right clicking on these shadow icons in the taskbar, nothing happens. Hopefully, this new bit of info may help in the fix.

EDIT: I always thought that one can choose a recent restore point and get back everything that was there at that point in time. However, I've also been told that if use restore here, I'll go back to the beginning and have lost all my tweaking/editing??? So, I'm holding off. Perhaps, your net suggestion ?

flycaster, Dec 24, 2015
  6. flycaster Win User
    Well, I don't really know what did it, but everything is back to normal. The normalization occurred when I was fooling around with the Logitech driver for Setpoint. Actually tried to roll it back to a previous version. But I as the newest version is still on, I think that I must have deleted and reinstalled. Original version could have been corrupted??? Google searches have shown this driver and Win 10 to have issues.

flycaster, Dec 26, 2015
  7. davidhk Win User
    Ok. So surprisingly you are back in business. That's great.

As to your question about system restore:
    When you pick a restore point ( date ), you roll back to the date you have chosen. Any programs and updates you had installed AFTER that date will be nullified and you will need to reinstall those.
    Programs and updates that were installed BEFORE that date are unaffected and will stay as is.

davidhk, Dec 26, 2015
  8. flycaster Win User

Thanks for the follow-up on restore. Actually, I got confused because someone who I was working with mis-interpreted restore to restore from the beginning...he was confused and confused me....

flycaster, Dec 26, 2015
  9. davidhk Win User
    Yes, there are still people mistaken system restore with system recovery.

Happy Holidays.

davidhk, Dec 26, 2015
  10. flycaster Win User
    Taskbar malfunction (icons on taskbar disappeared) and started to get the Setpoint Runtime Error again. Looking at Post #4, I see that I was fooling around with Setpoint (6.6.83/5.90.41) at the time when the taskbar icons came back, so I tried to uninstall Setpoint and then reload it. Well, Setpoint didn't appear to respond to multiple tries using its uninstaller and Googling showed that one had to use more of a process. Being, naturally lazy, I figured I would just try to re-install Setpoint (6.7.83/5.90.41) over the existing Setpoint. Believe it or not, the taskbar icons came back, my Logitech Trackman i working, and no runtime errors. As for Setpoint runtime errors, I am fearful that they may return as this is what happened after he first time I thought the problem was solved.

flycaster, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Icons used to be on taskbar? - Similar Threads - Icons used taskbar

2. How to arrange taskbar icons such that frequently used icons are at the left end of the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to arrange taskbar icons such that frequently used icons are at the left end of the...: Windows 10 Home Version 22H2Consider this example.Thanks for your help,SweetTasha https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-arrange-taskbar-icons-such-that-frequently/4619df68-78bf-450a-a5b5-3cdeb5329f9b
  3. How to arrange taskbar icons such that frequently used icons are at the left end of the...

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to arrange taskbar icons such that frequently used icons are at the left end of the...: Windows 10 Home Version 22H2Consider this example.Thanks for your help,SweetTasha https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-arrange-taskbar-icons-such-that-frequently/4619df68-78bf-450a-a5b5-3cdeb5329f9b
  4. How to arrange taskbar icons such that frequently used icons are at the left end of the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Taskbar Icons Overlapping Preventing Use

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar Icons Overlapping Preventing Use: The icons on my taskbar keep breaking randomly, no idea what causes itRestarting explorer.exe fixes it temporarily, but the next time i look at my taskbar it happened again, even while im writing thisIt seems like the icon that breaks is basically not acting like its there,...
  6. Taskbar Icons Overlapping Preventing Use

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar Icons Overlapping Preventing Use: The icons on my taskbar keep breaking randomly, no idea what causes itRestarting explorer.exe fixes it temporarily, but the next time i look at my taskbar it happened again, even while im writing thisIt seems like the icon that breaks is basically not acting like its there,...
  7. Not able to use icons on taskbar,

Not able to use icons on taskbar,: I have a windows 10 laptop which worked fine until just yesterday when after a windows update the taskbar had stopped working it showed up even on fullscreen I checked and found out that the start, Cortana, task view, and the search icon not clicking and all the icons on the...
  8. How to use TaskbarX to centre the taskbar icons?

How to use TaskbarX to centre the taskbar icons?: Hi all, recently installed this application called TaskbarX. Well, I have no idea on how to use it, I mean, how to make the app to centre the icons... Say I have 5 apps pinned to my taskbar, and I open a sixth app that is unpinned, then it should adjust accordingly and...
  9. taskbar icons

taskbar icons: How do I make the icons on the taskbar LARGE in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-icons/49d66daa-547e-4bc8-b41d-6b6469340fe5
  10. Taskbar icon

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar icon: How do I get rid of this? [img] 77636