Windows 10: IE auotstarting

Discus and support IE auotstarting in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Can someone please tell me why, when I start my computer & log into my account, the 1st thing I see is IE11 opened? Sometimes it's opened on my set... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by CJW, Jan 8, 2018.

1. CJW
    CJW Win User

IE auotstarting

Can someone please tell me why, when I start my computer & log into my account, the 1st thing I see is IE11 opened?

Sometimes it's opened on my set homepage & sometimes on a blank page w/a notice at the bottom asking if I want to reopen my last session. What is going on?

10 pro x64 has given me more headaches that any other Windows version I have used.
    I have realized that in the same amount of time I've had it installed, I have used 10 less than I have used any other version I've had installed in the past (3.0, 3.1, 95, 98, 98SE, XP, XP Pro x64 & 7 Pro x64).

:)

2. Di}{iE Win User

BSOD troubleshooting help

Hello and thanks in advance you your help and knowledge. I have been getting hard BSOD crashes constantly while playing Rust the last couple of days. I don't know if this is related, but a new patch just game out for the game and it started after that.
    I get the BSOD with a message 90% of the time that says IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL and a couple of times it has given me KERNAL SECURITY CHECK FAILURE. 95% of the crashes have been while playing rust, sometimes after only 5 minutes, other times after a couple
    of hours. I have crashed as well from the desktop with BSOD while not in rust at all a couple times; those times have been usually right after the computer restarts after the first crash.

Things I've done so far:

-verified Rust local game files on Steam

-Rolled back Nvidia driver to older version

-uninstalled and reinstalled realtek sound driver

-unplugged all peripherals including controllers and usb headset (except mouse and keyboard)

-Reset BIOS to default settings (i didn't have anything overclocked anyway but just in case)

-lots of swearing

I have put a link to my 16 dump files and my MSinfo32 file on OneDrive here:

DMP files

MSinfo32

Thanks so much in advance!

Di}{iE, Jan 8, 2018
  3. OBIWAN-IE Win User
    Cannot download from Marketplace or Send email attachments using Mobile Data Connection, work with Wi-Fi

Yes, I've had this problem for about 2 months now.

OBIWAN-IE, Jan 8, 2018
  4. dmholt57 Win User

IE auotstarting

Look in Task Manager under the startup tab, delete it if it is there... *Wink

dmholt57, Jan 8, 2018
  5. CJW
    CJW Win User
    I checked, IE is not listed.

6. Eagle51 Win User
    Hey CJW,
    If you're leaving IE open when you shut down the PC, then it could be part of the new app start/restart MS added to FCU. Go to Settings > Accounts > Sign-in > Privacy and uncheck “Use my sign info to automatically finish setting up”

Otherwise ...
    1. Check Task Scheduler to see if there is an entry for IE
    2. Get Autoruns to see if you can find why IE is starting - Autoruns for Windows - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs

Eagle51, Jan 8, 2018
  7. CJW
    CJW Win User
    Eagle51
    I make sure to close IE every time I am going to shut down the computer & I do have “Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart” set to OFF.
    IE is also not listed in Task Manager or Autoruns.

8. torre Win User

IE auotstarting

torre, Jan 10, 2018
  9. Bree New Member
    Yes, it could be - but that fix doesn't work in the public version 1709 build 16299. It's already in Insider builds from 17040 on, and promised for the next public release (1803?).

on a restart Fall Creators Update reopens apps from before

10. CJW
    CJW Win User
    I didn't change ANY settings & as I've stated, IE is not listed in Task Manager>Startup or Autoruns anywhere; but the problem has stopped & IE is no longer open when I startup Windows. Another Microsoft misery ... I mean mystery.

11. Bree New Member
    What version of Windows 10 does Winver say you have? Is it 1709? If so, IE (along with some other apps including Task Manager, Wordpad and Chrome) will reopen at start up if they were left open when you shut down windows. Others, like Edge, Notepad and Firefox will not reopen.

If you have 1709 you can test this for yourself. It may be that IE doesn't reopen because you are now making sure it's closed before you shut down.

12. CJW
    CJW Win User
    Bree, I do indeed have version 1709.
    The problem has resolved itself ... somehow & IE is no longer opening on it's own.

13. Bree New Member

IE auotstarting

My guess - previously you'd sometimes shut down without bothering to close IE. You are now so sensitized to IE reappearing you religiously close it before shutting down, Try leaving it open the once and see what happens.

This new 'feature' in 1709 has had little or no publicity, it has already confused a lot of people. *Smile

Thema:

IE auotstarting