Windows 10: If I delete a file, why doesn't it show up in C:/$Recycle.Bin ?

Discus and support If I delete a file, why doesn't it show up in C:/$Recycle.Bin ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have noticed on both of my computers when I delete something, it doesn't show up in $Recycle.Bin even though I had hidden items viewable. Is this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by leftisthominid, Sep 15, 2017.

1. If I delete a file, why doesn't it show up in C:/$Recycle.Bin ?

I have noticed on both of my computers when I delete something, it doesn't show up in $Recycle.Bin even though I had hidden items viewable. Is this normal?

Also, on my desktop, I have noticed that even if my recycle bin is empty, my MBAM threat scans started with C:\$Recycle.Bin. I also notice that various files from subfolders of the system folders are in this folder. Is this normal? (MBAM threat scans don't find anything wrong)

:)

leftisthominid, Sep 15, 2017

2. Cannot delete .etl files - etl files created event though Windows Kits not installed.

Ok, maybe I should of been more precise in my original question.

When I first noticed these files in disk defrag I had to resort to 'Unlocker' to delete them as permission was denied.

They have reappeared.

Process explorer shows them as in use by System as below.

System 4 File C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Windows Performance Toolkit\bootPrep_BASE+CSWITCH_3_um_premerge.etl

System 4 File C:\$Recycle.Bin\S-1-5-21-3771996801-2005459746-3262381664-1000\$R3HAFA4.etlp_BASE+CSWITCH_3_km_premerge.etl

Notice the second occurrence is located in c:\$Recycle.Bin

If I do not have Windows Kits installed so why are they in use by System?

RichardVerne, Sep 15, 2017
  3. geekdom Win User
    $RECYCLE.BIN folder keeps reappearing

Yes, $RECYCLE.BIN is a system file.

You have the the Folder options: View set to show hidden files and folders which is why you are seeing this folder.

$RECYCLE.BIN is a hidden folder.

geekdom, Sep 15, 2017
  4. LMiller7 Win User

If I delete a file, why doesn't it show up in C:/$Recycle.Bin ?

What you are seeing is normal.
    For security reasons the files in the Recycle.Bin folder are given random names. There is a separate subfolder for each user account, including built in accounts. This is to prevent looking at the files deleted by another user. They will be restored to the original name.

There should be no reason for regular users to look in the Recycle.Bin folder. It is hidden for a reason. Many of the details of how the recycle bin works are officially undocumented and some of the details have changed over the years in different versions of Windows. Improper modification could corrupt it's contents and prevent recovery of files.

BMAM scans the folder because it doesn't know it is empty until it has been fully examined.

LMiller7, Sep 15, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    Bree, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

If I delete a file, why doesn't it show up in C:/$Recycle.Bin ?

1. If I delete a file, why doesn't it show up in C:/$Recycle.Bin ? - Similar Threads - delete file why

2. Recycle bin automatically deleting files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recycle bin automatically deleting files: Running Windows 8.1 - How do I stop the Recycle Bin from automatically deleting the items in case I want to restore a deleted file? The deleted files used to stay in the Recycle Bin until I deleted them. Now, a deleted file doesn't even make it to the Recycle Bin, it just...
  3. Recycle bin automatically deleting files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recycle bin automatically deleting files: Running Windows 8.1 - How do I stop the Recycle Bin from automatically deleting the items in case I want to restore a deleted file? The deleted files used to stay in the Recycle Bin until I deleted them. Now, a deleted file doesn't even make it to the Recycle Bin, it just...
  4. Deleted files from recycle bin

Deleted files from recycle bin: Somehow, I did not do it, emptied the recycle bin with files I wanted to recover later. Is there a way to get those files back? I use the Recuva from CCleaner and it can't find them. Says I have a Harddisk Volume2 that's unable to determine file system type...don't know what...
  5. DELETE ALL FILES IN RECYCLE BIN, OR DELETE RECYCLE BIN ITSELF

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    DELETE ALL FILES IN RECYCLE BIN, OR DELETE RECYCLE BIN ITSELF: HOW CAN I DELETE ALL FILES IN RECYCLE BIN, OR DELETE "recycle bin" ITSELF? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-all-files-in-recycle-bin-or-delete-recycle/eb83336a-44d1-47be-b51a-808eb6cbfc16
  6. Deleted files not showing in Recycle Bin in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Deleted files not showing in Recycle Bin in Windows 10: [ATTACH]In Windows 10 OS if you accidentally delete a file, you can restore it […] This article Deleted files not showing in Recycle Bin in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. I accidentally deleted a 50gb file, but its not showing up in the recycle bin.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I accidentally deleted a 50gb file, but its not showing up in the recycle bin.: Is there still a way to recover my file? submitted by /u/Live-Plankton [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ldtt9q/i_accidentally_deleted_a_50gb_file_but_its_not/
  8. Deleted Recycle Bin files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Deleted Recycle Bin files: I deleted some files from the recycle bin permanently a few months ago and I now realized that I need them. I’ve downloaded a few apps to recover these files but they all retrieved random stuff that weren’t my files. What are the best free online applications that will help...
  9. Deleted Items Not Showing In Recycle Bin

in Windows 10 Customization
    Deleted Items Not Showing In Recycle Bin: On the desktop there is the recycle bin. The following has just started to happen. Before when I deleted something, the recycle bin showed that there was something in the bin. Now when I delete something the recycle bin does NOT show that there is something in the bin. I...
  10. recycle bin and deleting certain files

recycle bin and deleting certain files: I like to keep my deleted files for a month or so before I delete entirely. Since I've had W10, I've found the Recycle Bin does not work properly. I've worked around it but I'm sick of it and would like the damn thing to work as it should. At the beginning of every month,...