Windows 10: If I were to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10, would I need to disable Fast Startup in...

Discus and support If I were to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10, would I need to disable Fast Startup in... in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; So I was thinking of dual booting Windows 7 and 10 since I put an SSD in my laptop, but I have no clue if I should turn off Fast Startup in Windows 10.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Rednax35, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Rednax35 Win User

If I were to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10, would I need to disable Fast Startup in...

So I was thinking of dual booting Windows 7 and 10 since I put an SSD in my laptop, but I have no clue if I should turn off Fast Startup in Windows 10.

I know you're supposed to do that when dual booting with Linux since it uses a different bootloader, but I'm not sure about Windows 7 as it still uses the Windows Boot Manager.

I'm asking because, at least on my old HDD, turning off Fast Startup makes boot times abysmally slow, but I'm not sure about an SSD. I assume it wouldn't be as bad.

:)

Rednax35, Aug 19, 2019
  2. MrGenius Win User

Windows 10 Boot Times Showdown

I just finished up testing various boot time scenarios for Windows 10 Pro 64 on my system. I've been curious for well over a year now, since I installed W10, to see how much UEFI GOP boot would speed up my boot times. The thing is my graphics card didn't have a UEFI BIOS. So I flashed one on it today and ran some tests. And I came up with some pretty interesting results after testing with UEFI GOP boot and without it, in combination with other boot options enabled(On) or disabled(Off). All tests done with W10 installed on my WD Black 7200 rpm 64MB SATA-III HDD, my MSI Z77A-GC65 Gaming motherboard, and my MSI R9 280X Gaming OC 3GB graphics card.

The boot options in my motherboard UEFI/BIOS that I tested are:

UEFI GOP Boot(called Windows 8 Feature in my motherboard UEFI/BIOS) with Secure Boot disabled
    MSI Fast Boot
    Fast Boot with PS2 support enabled, SATA & USB support disabled
    (each device type can be enabled or disabled for POST while using Fast Boot, allowing for faster boot times with more devices disabled for POST, or slower boot times with more devices enabled for POST)

Notes: MSI Fast Boot cannot be used with Fast Boot. You can only choose to run one or the other. I leave PS2 support enabled so I can use my PS2 keyboard delete key to access the BIOS after POST. If I disable PS2 support I lose that functionality. Even though it might cause my boot times to be a second or so slower by not disabling it. It's a trade-off.

The Windows 10 power options I tested are:

Fast Startup
    Hibernation
    Hybrid Sleep

Note: Fast Startup does not apply to Hibernation or Sleep scenarios.

I ran tests with the various options enabled(On) or disabled(Off), in a variety of configurations. I booted from a shut down with each configuration at least 3 times and recorded how long it took. Boot time started when I hit the power button and ended when the desktop background image was shown. I'm not particularly interested in average times or slowest times. I'm trying to figure out which way to configure the options that will give me the fastest boot time. All configurations varied slightly during separate runs. It's going to happen no matter what you do. So what's of real interest to me is which configuration is capable of being fastest. It doesn't have to be that fast every time. And I can guarantee it won't be anyway. So let's just look at the fastest times I was able to achieve with each configuration and call it good. *Smile If I were to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10, would I need to disable Fast Startup in... :)

Starting with the slowest configuration, and ending with the fastest configuration:

UEFI GOP Boot with Secure Boot disabled: On
    Fast Boot with PS2 enabled, SATA & USB disabled: On
    Fast Startup: Off
    Best time = 2 minutes 17.29 seconds

MSI Fast Boot: On
    Best time = 2 minutes 14.04 seconds

Hybrid Sleep
    Note: Hybrid Sleep is not working properly on my system, Non-Hybrid Sleep doesn't work at all
    Best time = 1 minute 21.76 seconds

MSI Fast Boot: Off
    Fast Boot with PS2 enabled, SATA & USB disabled: Off
    Note: :"Just UEFI GOP Boot On" test
    Best time = 1 minute 0.76 seconds

UEFI GOP Boot with Secure Boot disabled: Off
    Note: :"Just Fast Boot with PS2 enabled, SATA & USB disabled On" test
    Best time = 51.90 seconds

Note: "Everything Off" test
    Best time = 51.87 seconds

Note: "Just MSI Fast Boot On" test
    Best time = 51.17 seconds

Fast Startup: On
    Note: "Just Fast Startup On" test
    Best time = 27.54 seconds

Hibernation
    Note: "Just Hibernation" test
    Best time: 24.28 seconds

Best time = 23.66 seconds

Best time = 23.43 seconds

Best time = 22.75 seconds

Best time = 22.38 seconds

Hibernation
    Best time: 22.31 seconds

Hibernation
    Best time = 20.40 seconds

Hibernation
    Best time = 19.87 seconds

Hibernation
    Best time: 18.69 seconds

Hibernation
    Best time = 18.38 seconds

Conclusions:

UEFI GOP boot with Secure Boot disabled: Horrible when used with MSI Fast Boot or Fast Boot On and Fast Startup Off. Significantly, and surprisingly, less horrible when used on its own(with MSI Fast Boot or Fast Boot Off and Fast Startup Off). Apparently does nothing if MSI Fast Boot or Fast Boot is On and Fast Startup is On(when not used also with Hibernation). Good for at least 2 second faster boot times when used by itself with Hibernation, or ~6 second faster boot times when used with MSI Fast Boot or Fast Boot with PS2 enabled, SATA & USB disabled On and Hibernation.

MSI Fast Boot: Works great with Fast Startup On. Shortened boot times by more than 50% compared with having just it On and Fast Startup Off. Horrible when used with just UEFI GOP Boot On(and Fast Startup Off). Apparently does nothing significant when used on its own(like with UEFI GOP Boot Off and Fast Startup Off). With less than 1 second difference between using it on its own and having "Everything Off". Good for ~2.5 seconds faster boot times when used by itself with Hibernation, or ~4 second faster boot times used with Hibernation and UEFI GOP Boot On.

Fast Boot with PS2 enabled, SATA & USB disabled: Basically same as MSI Fast Boot. Works great with Fast Startup On. Shortened boot times by more than 50% compared with having just it On and Fast Startup Off. Although ~ 3 seconds slower than MSI Fast Boot in the worst case scenario(like with UEFI GOP Boot also On and Fast Startup Off), it's ~.3 seconds faster in the best case scenario(like with Hibernation). Horrible when used with just UEFI GOP Boot On(and Fast Startup Off). Apparently does nothing significant when used on its own(like with UEFI GOP Boot Off and Fast Startup Off). With less than 1 second difference between using it on its own and having "Everything Off". Good for ~2 seconds faster boot times when used by itself with Hibernation, or ~3.5 second faster boot times used with Hibernation and UEFI GOP Boot On.

Fast Startup: THE GAME CHANGER!!! It can lower boot times by almost 2 minutes in worst case scenarios. And by at least 24 seconds in best case scenarios.

"Everything Off"(UEFI GOP Boot Off, MSI Fast Boot Off, Fast Boot Off, and Fast Startup Off): Strangely "pretty good by comparison" boot times. You can do much better, but surprisingly much much worse too.

Hybrid Sleep: Like I said...it doesn't work properly on my system. So YMMV. See one of my previous posts for a detailed explanation of what I mean by "doesn't work properly".

Hibernation: THE HANDS DOWN WINNER!!! Faster in every configuration scenario except when used by itself with all other options Off.

Tips:

Turn Hibernation On in Command Prompt (Admin)
    Code: powercfg -h on[/quote] Turn Hibernation Off in Command Prompt (Admin)
    Code: powercfg -h off[/quote] Further reading:

Windows 10: Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10
    Windows 10: Specify Hiberfile Type as Full or Reduced in Windows 10
    Windows 10: Check if Last Boot from Hybrid, Full, or Hibernate in Windows 8 and 10

EDIT: There's one other factor to consider too. Namely Superfetch. It's on by default and has a significant impact on boot times. I'd noticed some time ago that without Superfetch On boot times were a lot slower. And I just ran a bunch of tests with the other configurations shown above and Superfetch Off(since it was On for all of those tests). For the sake of brevity I'll just cut to the chase and give you the low down on it. In every test so far with SuperFetch disabled(Off) boot times have been slower. And I can't imagine a scenario where that might not be the case. That is of course unless you might be using a SSD instead of a HDD. Since I've heard that Superfetch can be bad for performance in general with a SDD(not sure about boot times, but I'd imagine the same applies). So, unless you're using a SSD as your boot drive, my recommendation is to have Superfetch enabled(On) for faster boot times. If not just for overall system performance. Which I've also noticed is slowed down without it enabled(using a HDD anyway).

More info on enabling or disabling Superfetch:

Windows 10, 8 & 7: Enable or Disable Superfetch

MrGenius, Aug 19, 2019
  3. Wingo101 Win User
    Windows Vista Startup Problem ( Dual Boot)

I've got a dual boot set up on my computer, with Windows XP Professional 32bit & Vista Ultimate 64bit.

I haven't booted into Vista for quite some time now because I get better performance from XP. But now, if I try to boot into Vista, it goes through until after the Welcome screen & just gets stuck on a black screen with the pointer showing.

I have tried repairing the startup using the Vista CD.

Any suggestions?

Wingo101, Aug 19, 2019
  4. puma99dk| Win User

If I were to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10, would I need to disable Fast Startup in...

puma99dk|, Aug 19, 2019
Thema:

1. If I were to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10, would I need to disable Fast Startup in... - Similar Threads - were dual boot

2. How do I disable fast startup?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I disable fast startup?: The option is there but when I try to click it nothing happens . It has indicated that fast startup is enabled but can't be unchecked or checked.. Azn it's grey with a check.....
  3. How do I disable fast startup?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I disable fast startup?: The option is there but when I try to click it nothing happens . It has indicated that fast startup is enabled but can't be unchecked or checked.. Azn it's grey with a check.....
  4. Blank GUI Dual Boot screen with mouse pointer and Fast Startup disabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blank GUI Dual Boot screen with mouse pointer and Fast Startup disabled: Hi,I have installed Windows 11 on HDD and SSD as Dual Boot on my Laptop. When the laptop starts I am not able to see GUI Windows Boot Loader Screen to choose the OS. However mouse pointer is visible. I can use arrow keys, by guessing, to select the OS I want to boot...
  5. Blank GUI Dual Boot screen with mouse pointer and Fast Startup disabled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blank GUI Dual Boot screen with mouse pointer and Fast Startup disabled: Hi,I have installed Windows 11 on HDD and SSD as Dual Boot on my Laptop. When the laptop starts I am not able to see GUI Windows Boot Loader Screen to choose the OS. However mouse pointer is visible. I can use arrow keys, by guessing, to select the OS I want to boot...
  6. how do i dual boot with windows 10 and 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how do i dual boot with windows 10 and 7: so i want to dual boot windows 10 and 7 i have copied win7 installation files into my usb stick i created a new drive for win7 i took storage from my hdd i added 100gb to win7 drive but do i lose my data when i install win7 on a drive that i took storage from hdd so pls reply...
  7. Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10

Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10: I have Windows 7 on my C: drive, I downloaded Windows 10 from Microsoft onto a USB connected SATA drive on my laptop. (drive F:) When I go to install Windows 10 it does not ask me what drive I want to install it to. Will it automatically install to the F: drive since that is...
  8. Need help dual-booting Windows 10 with Windows 7

Need help dual-booting Windows 10 with Windows 7: Hi, I would like to dual-boot Windows 10 alongside with Windows 7. I am currently running Windows 7 with Ubuntu and PhoenixOS. Now I am planning to replace PhoenixOS (which is taking 20GB separate partition) with Windows 10. So I need help to get windows 10 installed with...
  9. Dual boot windows 10 & 7

Dual boot windows 10 & 7: Hello I have a computer with windows 7 home premium 64 bit with a genuine licence. I have two identicle SSDs (with different serial numbers obviously) I want to run windows 7 on one. I want to put the image of the original on the second and have a dual boot. Software...
  10. Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot

Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot: I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates installed and only the...