Windows 10: I'm not able to change the priority of my network connections.

Discus and support I'm not able to change the priority of my network connections. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; System: Asus X450LC - Intel i5 4200u; NVIDIA GeForce GT 720M; 6gb of RAM. Windows 10. There are two internet connections at my house: One is the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Rodrigo Marques de, Dec 4, 2018.

1. I'm not able to change the priority of my network connections.

System:

Asus X450LC - Intel i5 4200u; NVIDIA GeForce GT 720M; 6gb of RAM.
    Windows 10.

There are two internet connections at my house:

One is the usual WiFi router - the other is a WiFi Extender.

I connect simultaneously to both of those connections:

TO THE WIFI EXTENDER, through a D-Link DWA-125 Wireless 150 USB Adapter;

TO THE WIFI ROUTER, through an USB Tethering connection with my Android (Nexus 5X) phone.

The connection through the USB Tethering process is slower than through the D-Link DWA-125 Wireless 150 USB Adapter, which connects directly to the WiFi Extender, as opposed to the original WiFi hotspot derived from my router. Therefore, I only use the USB Tethering connection with my Android phone for a specific purpose: non-delayed transfer of audio through an application called SoundWire Server, which uses a WiFi connection to transfer all the audio from my computer to be played on my phone. For all other purposes, I intent on using the connection with my WiFi Extender, through my D-Link DWA-125 Wireless 150 USB Adapter.

However, since Windows recongnizes the USB Tethering connection as an ethernet one, it [is supposed to have] has priority over my standard WiFi connection; hence, I [am supposed to] experience a slower internet experience than if Windows had priority of my WiFi connection over my USB Tethering one.

I'm not able to change the priority of my network connections. 38983f7c-7cba-400f-bd1d-355f1c926755?upload=true.png

(All of my network connections - the two I use are highlighted; all the others are disabled)

Given all this, I tried to alter the network connections priority. However, even though I set all of my avaible WiFi connections as having higher priority than my ethernet ones, all of my changes don't seem to "save". Everytime I go back to the network connections priority changing interface, it seems like the priority order has been reset to a default configuration.

I'm not able to change the priority of my network connections. c67104f8-73d3-45d8-8b4a-5e79f547eed1?upload=true.png

(My advanced configurations network connections interface - from left to right, scrolling down on the "connections" tab)

You can see by the above image the current order of priority of all of my connections. I can't seem to change it, and I don't understand why. However, it seems like my WiFi connection (Wi-Fi 2) sits higher than my USB Tethering connection (Ethernet 3). Despite this, since I cannot change the priority order, I don't "feel" like it's guaranteed that my WiFi connection has a higher priority than my pseudoethernet USB Tethering one (which would be backed up by me experiecing lag in some games), so I'd like to be able to change the networks priority order without it being reset everytime I close the "Advanced Configurations" window.

Moreover, as a palleative solution: how could I set a specific program to use exclusively a specific network? My main problem here is that I'm having lag issues in some games, hence I'd like to make sure that they're using my WiFi extender connection through my D-Link DWA-125 Wireless 150 USB Adapter, and not my USB Tethering connection with my phone, recognized as an ethernet connection.

:)

Rodrigo Marques de, Dec 4, 2018
  2. Brink Win User

Change Wireless Network Connection Priority Order in Windows 10

Hello Denis, I'm not able to change the priority of my network connections. :)

The command in step 2 of Option Two should show your wireless networks listed in priority order. Top of the list is higher.

Brink, Dec 4, 2018
  3. Brink Win User

The higher priority connection sounds to be correct then since it's listed above the lower priority one.

Have you already checked to see if the higher priority connection has "connect automatically" turned on for it?

*Arrow Turn On or Off Connect Automatically to Wireless Network in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

Worse case, you should be able to remove the networks from the computers, and then set them back up again to sort it.

Brink, Dec 4, 2018
  4. Try3 Win User

I'm not able to change the priority of my network connections.

Shawn,

Do you know how to use netsh to retrieve the priority setting in order to check it?

• I am seeing strange behaviour and want to find out what is going on.
    • I have played around with netsh wlan a lot but cannot find any method for getting WiFi network priority out of the profile.
    • My previous method of showing relative priorities does not show any change so it does not seem to be valid any more - the command netsh wlan show profiles used to list profiles in their priority order but it currently shows the expected sequence even though the wrong network has been chosen.

Earlier today, two computers connected to the lower priority network even though there did not seem to be any interruption to the higher priority one. Furthermore, they did not switch back automatically even though the lower priority network also has the look for other networks whilst connected to this one ["AutoSwitch"]setting checked [the main network does not have this setting].

Denis

Try3, Dec 4, 2018
Thema:

I'm not able to change the priority of my network connections.

1. I'm not able to change the priority of my network connections. - Similar Threads - I'm able change

2. Network priority

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network priority: One of my computers keep connecting to the extender but it can not find the main hub provider. I followed instruction included in a Microsoft article but I have been unable to give priority to the main network.I started cmd as administrator and as per article I typed: "netsh...
  3. Network priority

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network priority: One of my computers keep connecting to the extender but it can not find the main hub provider. I followed instruction included in a Microsoft article but I have been unable to give priority to the main network.I started cmd as administrator and as per article I typed: "netsh...
  4. Network priority

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. OneDrive Network Priority

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive Network Priority: The Situation: I am setting up OneDrive to back up Documents, Pictures, and Desktop directories. The total upload will be approximately 500 GB. The Issue: Uploading files to Onedrive is putting a strain on the home network. Nonetheless, the transfer is hogging most of the...
  6. How to change network connection priority in Windows 10?

How to change network connection priority in Windows 10?: All the advice on line is telling me about advanced options and hitting the alt key when clicking it to give priority to a specific connectivity option. I don't see advanced options. I'm running Windows 10 Pro. A walk through would be helpful with screen shots where this...
  7. Not able to connect to my network

Not able to connect to my network: All of a sudden my laptop just got disconnected from my Wi-Fi network & I am not able to reconnect. I have reset the network, used forget the network option uninstalled my drivers, Reset my router. Nothing works. My mobile & desktop connect to the same network without...
  8. How to change network connection priority in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change network connection priority in Windows 10: I want to change the priority of the network connection in Windows 10 so that they follow a specific order. When I have multiple network connections, I want to change the priority so the network I prefer will be the first one to use. I tried to follow the tutorial here,...
  9. Change Wireless Network Connection Priority Order in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Wireless Network Connection Priority Order in Windows 10: How to: Change Wireless Network Connection Priority Order in Windows 10 How to Change Wireless Network Connection Priority Order in Windows 10 Windows will usually automatically connect to networks in this priority order: Ethernet Wi‑Fi (wireless) Mobile broadband...
  10. Change Network Adapter Connection Priorities in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Network Adapter Connection Priorities in Windows 10: How to: Change Network Adapter Connection Priorities in Windows 10 How to Change Network Adapter Connection Priorities in Windows 10 A network connection is a set of information that enables your computer to connect to the Internet, a network, or another computer. When...