Windows 10: Import EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key (PFX file) in Windows 10

Discus and support Import EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key (PFX file) in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] [ATTACH]When you EFS encrypt your files/folders, it’s recommended you create a backup of your file encryption certificate and key to a PFX... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Nov 22, 2019.

1. WinClub New Member

Import EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key (PFX file) in Windows 10

WinClub, Nov 22, 2019

2. Cannot Access Encrypted Files After Successfully Importing Encrypting File System (EFS) Certificate

I encrypted a folder and its contents on my Windows 10 system. I then successfully backed-up (export) my EFS certificate to a thumb drive and successfully imported the EFS certificate to a Windows 7 system. I confirmed the EFS certificate did in fact install
    on the Windows 7 system and is located in my Personal | Certificates folder.

However, when I attempt to test the certificate by coping several of the encrypted files from my Windows 10 system to a USB drive and then attempting to open the files on my Windows 7 system, the file will not open. Windows as added a .PFILE file extension
    to each of the documents. It's my understanding the .PFILE indicates a protected file; which would be correct.

I can open the files on the USB drive without any issues on my Windows 10 system. So, I'm confused why I can't open them on my Windows 7 system since I received successful confirmations on my both the export and import of the EFS certificate.

Any suggestions?

Steve_1208, Nov 22, 2019
  3. PolarNettles, Nov 22, 2019
  4. GTZee Win User

EFS Certificate issue!!!!

I had the same issue. I'd encrypted some files using EFS. I did a clean install of Windows 10, forgot to migrate the previous certificate (it doesn't do this by default) almost resigned to the fact that all my encrypted migrated files where locked forever. All I'd done was import the WRONG certificate, one of three I had backed-up on an external drive (.pfx). Check the "thumbprint" (details/properties tab) of the files you EFS encrypted and can't open, against all Certificates you've created (saved externally or imported to your Personal store in Cert Mgr, must have passwords too) - hopefully you'll find a match. Good luck.

GTZee, Nov 22, 2019
Thema:

1. Import EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key (PFX file) in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Import EFS File

2. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    EFS encrypted files: I don't have the encryption certificate but seem to have the encryption file key on a USB drive. Is there a way to recover a deleted certificate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-encrypted-files/7e1a837d-3e08-4156-8e6f-f3b71ecc89d4
  3. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EFS encrypted files: I don't have the encryption certificate but seem to have the encryption file key on a USB drive. Is there a way to recover a deleted certificate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-encrypted-files/7e1a837d-3e08-4156-8e6f-f3b71ecc89d4
  4. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. EFS Prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key on BitLocker enabled computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    EFS Prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key on BitLocker enabled computer: One of our staff get EFS popup prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key as per screenshot below.We are not using EFS on this computer instead we are using BitLocker to encrypt all volumes on this computer.Double checked and run "CIPHER.EXE /U /N" and result...
  6. Lost Private key to EFS certificate file -

Lost Private key to EFS certificate file -: Hi,I cannot access my encrypted files because the encryption certificate changed. I can still see it in the certificate manager but I cannot export it in Pfx file to install it again only in CER format....
  7. Windows changed my PFX certificate - Old certificate will not import

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows changed my PFX certificate - Old certificate will not import: Windows 10 Pro Version 2004 Build 19041.928 Hey guys. This is the second time my Windows machine has decided to change my PFX certificate on me without asking/warning. I have an external HDD with files that are encrypted with a PFX file that I created in 2018. About 6 months...
  8. Help Decrypting EFS encrypted files without the backup certificate/private key

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Help Decrypting EFS encrypted files without the backup certificate/private key: I had a windows 7 laptop in which I had stored all the photographs EFS encrypted, without really knowing how it helps or otherwise. I stored these important files in an external hard disk. Subsequently, the laptop stopped working and I have trashed it and bought a new laptop...
  9. Backup the EFS encryption key file

Backup the EFS encryption key file: Yesterday I installed OneDrive app and linked it to my office 365 enterprise University account. Since then, every time I turn on my pc, I receive a warning about backup of the encryption key from EFS application. But I have never used bitlocker. I did some search online and...
  10. Import Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Import Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10: How to: Import Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10 How to Import Your EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key in Windows 10 [img] Information The Encrypting File System (EFS) is the built-in encryption tool in Windows used to encrypt files and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. my-efs-certificate.pfx

2. how to import *.pfx files to local computer and local user folders