Windows 10: include files from a certain directory in Start menu

Discus and support include files from a certain directory in Start menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hope this is the right place... searched and couldn't find answer. This is something I found really really useful in Windows 7: somehow I managed to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mrodent, May 6, 2016.

1. mrodent Win User

include files from a certain directory in Start menu

Hope this is the right place... searched and couldn't find answer.

This is something I found really really useful in Windows 7: somehow I managed to add a particular directory (not "My Documents", just a directory I chose) to the places where the Start menu goes looking for things... and so I have a document called "Notes.doc" in a directory called, for example, "Stuff".

And when I pressed Start in W7 ... and then started typing "N", "O"... one of the choices which would come up would be that very file. Then I just had to select it with the arrow up and down keys, press Enter, and the file would be launched in Word.

Is it possible to do this in W10? I am aware the Start functionality can be tweaked in various ways, but I haven't found a way to do this. The crucial thing is the minimal number key strokes (and obviously total avoidance of the mouse) to get a particular very commonly used file to launch...

:)

mrodent, May 6, 2016

2. disable the start menu search

I either need to disable the start menu search or limit it not to show files in certain directories.

also I need to remove the open file menu context menu option.

windows 10 1703

DarrellMilam, May 6, 2016
  3. FordLadd Win User
    How to restore files from one computer's file history to another computer without changing the file history

How may I restore files for Edge/IE11 Favorites and certain directories from File History for computer A to computer B without changing the backup files.

I have two identical laptops running W10-64 Pro that I use File History to backup certain directories and the Users directory to different shares (directories) on a NAS file server on my network.

When I try to use the restore file feature in W10 Backup on computer B to get files from backup for Computer A, I must first change my target drive on Computer B to the backup for Computer A, and then Windows starts to transfer prior backups for Computer
    B to backup for Computer A and does other things to mess up the back up for Computer A.

I don't want to alter either backup, just extract certain directories (including Favorites) from one backup to another computer without changing any backup.

FordLadd, May 6, 2016
  4. essenbe Win User

essenbe, May 6, 2016
  5. mrodent Win User
    thanks... can't see how to accomplish what I want that way...

mrodent, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. include files from a certain directory in Start menu - Similar Threads - include files certain

2. File Explorer Won't Start from Start Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Won't Start from Start Menu: I can no longer start File Explorer from the Start Menu link, or task bar link on Win 11. When pressed the screen goes off, reappears without icons or task bar then goes back to normal. File Explorer isn't visible but is running in Task Manager. Shortcuts to existing folders...
  3. File Explorer Won't Start from Start Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Won't Start from Start Menu: I can no longer start File Explorer from the Start Menu link, or task bar link on Win 11. When pressed the screen goes off, reappears without icons or task bar then goes back to normal. File Explorer isn't visible but is running in Task Manager. Shortcuts to existing folders...
  4. Compare directories including files and sub-folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Compare directories including files and sub-folders: Good morning,I wanted to ask how it was possible to check if a folder and its contents are entirely identical. I have this dilemma because I had to transfer an archive of 500 GB from one location to another.Is there already something native to the Windows OS or not?...
  5. Windows 10 Can't remove certain shortcuts from the start-menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Can't remove certain shortcuts from the start-menu: I want to remove a couple shortcuts from my start-menu. Usually this isn't a problem since I can right-click on them and navigate to the path where the shortcut is located. This is usually C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. But for certain preinstalled...
  6. New Start Menu not included in version W2004, then ?

New Start Menu not included in version W2004, then ?: After three attempts I downloaded version 2004 . I expected a new Start page - but everything is the same. When do we get the new Start Menu ?...
  7. can't rearrange certain icon in start menu

can't rearrange certain icon in start menu: Several of my icons in the start menu I can't move. I can resize them, but it won't allow me to move them. This applies for - documents folder - videos folder - pictures folder - downloads folder I can still rearrange all my other icons, such as - Dropbox folder -...
  8. File explorer not opening from start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer not opening from start menu: [ATTACH] I recently changed my Windows 10 theme and now I can't open folders in file explorer from the start menu. It works fine with apps but it just doesn't work with folders. I tried restarting and it still doesn't work. I tried searching for solutions but they were...
  9. Unable to Pin Certain Programs to Start Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Pin Certain Programs to Start Menu: I am unable to pin certain programs to the start menu. Please see the video below. I downloaded and installed a utility called FileTypesMan. When I attempt to pin it to the start menu, and then perform a search for it, it does not show up in the search results. Please advise....
  10. Unable to Pin Certain Programs to Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Pin Certain Programs to Start Menu: I am unable to pin certain programs to the start menu. Please see the video below. I downloaded and installed a utility called FileTypesMan. When I attempt to pin it to the start menu, and then perform a search for it, it does not show up in the search results. Please advise....