Windows 10: Indexing running continually [Solved]

Discus and support Indexing running continually [Solved] in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; OS: Windows 10 Pro Computer: NUC Recently, my external drive is indicating a continual reading of the drive (read indicator flashing). Under... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rtcary, Feb 25, 2018.

1. rtcary Win User

Indexing running continually [Solved]

Computer: NUC

Recently, my external drive is indicating a continual reading of the drive (read indicator flashing). Under Properties, the Allow Indexing is NOT checked.

Using Task Manager, there are two Micorsoft indexing processes running and when I stop them (though they start up again), the flashing on the external drive stops.

Also, if I try to do a reboot, I get a message that a process is running though I do not recognize the icon and I cannot eject the drive because it is in use.

Is there a way to stop this process?

Todd

:)

rtcary, Feb 25, 2018

2. Indexing runs continuously attempting to index PDF files, killing battery lifespan.

This is potentially a really big problem for me and anyone else concerned with the longevity of similar hardware past the Manufacturer's Limited Warranty, as I have a Microsoft Surface Pro tablet with no official way of servicing the internals.

I began experiencing a really frustrating problem with my device constantly heating up, running sluggish, and suffering severe battery drain even while seemingly at idle, etc. Researching and troubleshooting the problem revealed that Indexing runs continuously
    attempting to index PDF files, keeping the CPU consistently between 30 and 40 percent at all times, killing performance, draining resources, and most importantly, the overall lifespan of my irreplaceable battery.

This device was expensive compared to some of the other alternatives available, but I believed that investing in Microsoft's own custom built hardware for their very own software was the best way to ensure the least problematic experience. Understandably,
    I hoped to keep it healthy for as long as I can and get my money's worth out of it, but regrettably, the battery lifespan of the device has already suffered as a result of the constant battery drain due to the continuous indexing. After researching the problem
    further on the internet and hoping to stumble upon a potential solution, I eventually managed to find that installing Adobe's own 64bit PDF iFilter solved the issue.

I'm hoping to bring Microsoft's attention to this, as I've since come to learn that it's actually a pretty old error that's plagued previous versions of Windows as well, and to provide a workable solution for any others currently experiencing the same problem.

Kris Neesmith, Feb 25, 2018
  3. High Disk Usage in Windows 10

I have experienced the same problem with continuous 100% disk activity. I found that stopping the searchindex service the disk activity returned immediately to normal. Given that the Search Index reports that indexing is complete I don't understand why
    it should be running at 100%

IainCummings, Feb 25, 2018
  4. Eagle51 Win User

Eagle51, Feb 25, 2018
  5. rtcary Win User
    Many thanks...that helped me fix it.

Even though the external drive was not selected, a directory of all my images was selected. Unchecked it, and the indexing stopped. It was under All Photos.

\rtc

rtcary, Feb 25, 2018
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, disabling search indexing isn't the answer- just a temporary workaround. When working normally, any slight activity will stop search indexing.

That you've had to do this suggests something more.

Try running
    chkdsk xyz: /scan
    from an admin command prompt
    where xyz is the path to the folder containing your images.

and see if it reports any problems.

- which were they?

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Indexing running continually [Solved] - Similar Threads - Indexing running continually

2. MIcrosoft index is not working properly and INDEX IS PAUSED problem continues to be there

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MIcrosoft index is not working properly and INDEX IS PAUSED problem continues to be there: Hello,I am facing a critical issue with Microsoft 11. I have tried rebuilding the index several times and unchecked everything in the index, but it still shows "indexing is paused" after running for a while. This problem is affecting my job, and I regret upgrading to...
  3. MIcrosoft index is not working properly and INDEX IS PAUSED problem continues to be there

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MIcrosoft index is not working properly and INDEX IS PAUSED problem continues to be there: Hello,I am facing a critical issue with Microsoft 11. I have tried rebuilding the index several times and unchecked everything in the index, but it still shows "indexing is paused" after running for a while. This problem is affecting my job, and I regret upgrading to...
  4. Indexing is not running.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Indexing is not running.: When searching on Start Menu, it says Search Indexing was Turned Off. When I click on Turn On Indexing, I get Indexing is not running. There's no option to start indexing, and troubleshoot search and indexing doesn't turn it on....
  5. Indexing is not running.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Indexing is not running.: When searching on Start Menu, it says Search Indexing was Turned Off. When I click on Turn On Indexing, I get Indexing is not running. There's no option to start indexing, and troubleshoot search and indexing doesn't turn it on....
  6. Index is not running.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Index is not running.: I have turned OFF Windows Search [Indexing ] because I use an alternative method [ Everything ]. However, if I perform a search in Explorer, I get the message . . . Your searches might be slow because the index is not running. Click to turn on the index... Is there ANY way...
  7. indexing is not running

in Cortana
    indexing is not running: dear Sir, I have windows 10, my indexing is not working, may you help to restore my index. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/indexing-is-not-running/d20cf127-7fd7-4212-afb7-81de7eb6ad40
  8. Indexing is not running

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Indexing is not running: File searches are extremely slow (about 10 times slower than in Windows 10). When I go to "Indexing Options" it tells me "indexing is not running" and it doesn't let me enter anything under "Index these locations". Same is true under "Advanced Options"....
  9. Modify Button grey out in "Indexing" and Indexing not running

in Windows 10 Customization
    Modify Button grey out in "Indexing" and Indexing not running: Hello, I have following few problems, if someone can help. 1. Windows Indexing is not running. (Tried method of rebuild but not working) 2. Modify button is grey out and no folder is currently present in the indexing options. 3. Windows Search is in hang state...
  10. Indexing not running

in Windows 10 Support
    Indexing not running: While trying to do a search in outlook 2016, i got the notice "something happened and search cannot be executed" or something like that. A quick google led to the indexing service. I launched services.msc and looked at "Windows Search". It's set to the default "delayed...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. outlook 2019 continual indexing