Windows 10: Infrequent IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Crashes

Discus and support Infrequent IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Crashes in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello! I have been having issues with my gaming PC for several months now. Basically, I will occasionally get blue screens and the error messages seem... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by nardavin, Aug 22, 2017.

1. nardavin Win User

Infrequent IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Crashes

Hello! I have been having issues with my gaming PC for several months now. Basically, I will occasionally get blue screens and the error messages seem to usually be related to memory (usually the error is "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL").

This happens pretty infrequently, but it's generally about once every week or two. It will usually occur while I am watching YouTube on chrome or loading up in a game. I have a suspicion that this is due to a faulty RAM stick, but I'm not sure. I don't really want to spend hours on memtest86 until I have ruled out most other causes.

I'm pretty sure that I saw the tool collect more than the most recent dump file. The most recent one happened about an hour ago and is the one I'm specifically asking about, but I wouldn't be surprised of the others were also IRQL errors and might give more insight. If you need more info just let me know. Thanks!

Attachment 150066

:)

nardavin, Aug 22, 2017

2. Phone Crashing Randomly & Infrequently

The 928 is a high end device and I doubt any activity you do can really push it to its limits. I am inclined to blame the issue on three things.

• Faulty app.
    • Corrupt OS
    • Hardware failure.

Did you notice if the issue started recently? Perhaps after installing an app on the phone? If so, get rid of that and see if the situation improves.

If the app suggestion did not help, as a last resort, you could reset the phone.

If the reset does not resolve the problem, the hardware might have gone bad. Check in for repair.

Jay_answers, Aug 22, 2017
  3. Phone Crashing Randomly & Infrequently

Hmm. This is one of those things that may be hard to characterize. I have the occasional failure to launch*, but rarely, if ever, experience a lockup requiring a hard power down and restart. I do numerous things in succession, though maybe not your exact
    assortment, as I expect many do. I'm normally running a Lumia 1020, with the AT&T branding, hardware, drivers, etc., so that is different as well. Only thing I could suggest is seeing if it may be more related to that flashlight app, than the other items,
    or stressing the OS in general. That's the only thing that you mentioned that isn't native to the device. There are numerous flashlight apps, so if your particular one can be implicated, you wouldn't have to forgo the capability entirely. So, no, I don't
    think you are doing too much, I don't think that should happen, or be expected, but there are too many variables to say for sure what your problem might be, short of suggesting a third party app (flashlight).

*failure to launch - start an app, it seems to come up, then just goes away, dropping you back to where you were; normally start or programs. Trying again normally works fine. Who knows?

Sven Johannsen, Aug 22, 2017
  4. Infrequent IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Crashes

Hi,

There are many different bugchecks in the dumpfiles.

The cause for different error codes are usually hardware and lower level problems.

U should begin with:

Infrequent IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Crashes [​IMG]
    Diagnostic Test
    RAM TEST

Run MemTest86+ - Test RAM - Windows 10 Forums

Note MemTest86+ V5.01 needs to be run for at least 8 complete passes for conclusive results. Set it running before you go to bed and leave it overnight. We're looking for zero errors here. Even a single error will indicate RAM failure.

More Info here: Microsoft Community

Make a photo of the result and post it.

Different RAM modules could be also an Problem. You have different ones installed:

Code: Number of Memory Devices 4 [Memory Device (Type 17) - Length 40 - Handle 0043h] Size 8192MB Speed 1600MHz Manufacturer 1315 Part Number BLS8G3D1609DS1S00. [Memory Device (Type 17) - Length 40 - Handle 0044h] Size 8192MB Speed 1600MHz Manufacturer 1315 Part Number BLS8G3D1609DS1S00. [Memory Device (Type 17) - Length 40 - Handle 0045h] Size 4096MB Speed 1600MHz Manufacturer 1315 Part Number BLS4G3D1609DS1S00. [Memory Device (Type 17) - Length 40 - Handle 0046h] Size 4096MB Speed 1600MHz Manufacturer 1315 Part Number BLS4G3D1609DS1S00.[/quote]
    I recommend pulling two of the same type out and then perform the memtest. When its done, put them back and pull the other two modules. One memtest will run 8 passes, plan for every test two days.

2) There are also different file system errors:

Code: 2017-08-10 02:29:29 Warning: Volume C: (\Device\HarddiskVolume2) requires an Online Scan. An Online Scan will automatically run as part of the next scheduled maintenance task. Alternatively you may run "CHKDSK /SCAN" locally via the command line, or run "REPAIR-VOLUME <drive:> -SCAN" locally or remotely via PowerShell. 2017-08-10 02:29:29 Error: A corruption was discovered in the file system structure on volume C:. The exact nature of the corruption is unknown. The file system structures need to be scanned online. 2017-08-12 23:44:44 Warning: The file system structure on volume C: has now been repaired. 2017-08-13 00:42:04 Warning: The file system structure on volume C: has now been repaired. 2017-08-16 14:53:37 Error: {Registry Hive Recovered} Registry hive (file): '\SystemRoot\System32\Config\RegBack\SOFTWARE' was corrupted and it has been recovered. Some data might have been lost. 2017-08-18 17:15:54 Error: {Registry Hive Recovered} Registry hive (file): '\SystemRoot\System32\Config\RegBack\SOFTWARE' was corrupted and it has been recovered. Some data might have been lost. 2017-08-21 12:59:46 Error: {Registry Hive Recovered} Registry hive (file): '\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE' was corrupted and it has been recovered. Some data might have been lost. 2017-08-21 16:08:46 Error: The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because the shadow copy storage could not grow due to a user imposed limit.[/quote]
    U should perform a file system repair after or before doing the memtest:
    Repair Windows Filesystem:

1. Open an elevated command prompt.
    2. In the elevated command prompt, type these five commands below, and press Enter:

dism /Online /NoRestart /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    dism /Online /NoRestart /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
    sfc /scannow
    chkdsk C: /F /R /X
    fsutil dirty set C:

SFC:
    The SFC command scans the integrity of all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.
    DISM:
    If a Windows image becomes unserviceable, you can use the Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management (DISM) tool to update the files and correct the problem.
    For example, you would use sfc /scannow command is unable to repair corrupted or modified system files because the component store (source) is corrupted.
    CHKDSK:
    Checking your drives for errors every once in a while can help fix some performance issues. Drive errors can usually be caused by bad sectors, improper shutdowns, bad software, corruption, physical damage, etc...

3) Your BIOS version is outdated. You should update to the newest version:
    Code: BIOS_VERSION: V1.12 BIOS_DATE: 08/11/2015[/quote] Update here: Support For Z97 GAMING 5 | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI Global

BSODHunter, Aug 22, 2017
  5. nardavin Win User
    Thank you for your reply! I ended up running memtest86 last night on all four sticks. It is currently on pass 5 with over 1.7 million errors. I would assume that this is plenty to conclude that at least one stick is bad and start testing sticks individually to figure out which is the issue?

nardavin, Aug 22, 2017
  6. nardavin Win User
    Update:

1. See my previous message. I ran the test on all four last night (this was before I was told to run them in matching pairs) and woke up to over 1.7 million memory errors after 5 passes. I can't seem to attach the html report, but I received substantial errors in all tests except for Test 0 and Test 2. Tonight I will test the first matching pair and report back.

2. dism /Online /NoRestart /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    Result: "Error 1168 Element not found"

dism /Online /NoRestart /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
    Result: "Error 1168 Element not found"

sfc /scannow
    Result: "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations"

chkdsk C: /F /R /X
    Result: It successfully scanned my drive for issues, it got stuck at 15% for a while so I think it might have found/fixed something.

fsutil dirty set C:
    Result: It successfully scanned my drive for issues, it only took a couple seconds so I'd assume that it means no major issues were found.

3. I successfully updated the BIOS to version 1.13 (1.D)

After the repairs and BIOS update, I decided to run another memtest before messing with any hardware. In the first couple of seconds, the errors started to pile in. So I will go forward with testing the first pair tonight and report back. Thank you!

nardavin, Aug 23, 2017
  7. Hi,

Since memtest show so much errors, one of your RAM modules are gone. Now you have to test one after another to find out which one is broken.

BSODHunter, Aug 23, 2017
  8. nardavin Win User

Using memtest I was pretty easily able to find the bad memory stick. It looks like only one stick was the problem, as the other three ran without errors for one pass (I know I should do more, but the bad stick had tens of thousands of errors in the first pass, so I was confident in concluding that only that one had an issue). I also changed which slot I put it in to ensure it wasn't an issue with the mobo memory slots. Right now I am running on two sticks, as I have removed the bad stick and its partner and I am looking into an RMA as they still appear to be covered. I will not be completely certain that this has entirely fixed my issue, as its generally a week or two between the BSODs. However, I do believe that this was the cause of the problem. Thank you very much for taking your time and walking me through this!

nardavin, Aug 23, 2017
  9. Glad to hear that your problem is now fixed. Let us know if there are any other problems.

BSODHunter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Infrequent IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Crashes - Similar Threads - Infrequent IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Crashes

2. Infrequent Freezes/Crashes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Infrequent Freezes/Crashes: Hello,I've been having infrequent crashes/freezes for a while now. I've mostly been trying to sort this out on my own but I've hit the limit of my tech literacy at this point.The last five crashes I've had have all thrown up event ID 1001 bugcheck reboots and I've attached...
  3. Infrequent Freezes/Crashes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Infrequent Freezes/Crashes: Hello,I've been having infrequent crashes/freezes for a while now. I've mostly been trying to sort this out on my own but I've hit the limit of my tech literacy at this point.The last five crashes I've had have all thrown up event ID 1001 bugcheck reboots and I've attached...
  4. Infrequent Audio? Driver crashes

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Infrequent Audio? Driver crashes: When it happens, generally the whole computer freeze for ~5-10 seconds. Sometimes is crashes the video feed in video applications such as Twitch. I believe it is also tied to audio issues, maybe drivers as it seems like every time after this happens Discord reports that the...
  5. W10 Freeze and crash randomly but infrequently

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    W10 Freeze and crash randomly but infrequently: Hello, I will first describe my situation. I have a Panasonic toughbook CF-19 Mk6 with i5-3rd gen core + 16GB RAM. The machine has been in my hands for a few years now and it used to act as a mobile wifi server using Windows 7 Pro or linux and has never had any issues. The...
  6. W10 Freeze and crash randomly but infrequently

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 Freeze and crash randomly but infrequently: Hello, I will first describe my situation. I have a Panasonic toughbook CF-19 Mk6 with i5-3rd gen core + 16GB RAM. The machine has been in my hands for a few years now and it used to act as a mobile wifi server using Windows 7 Pro or linux and has never had any issues. The...
  7. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSoD Crashes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSoD Crashes: I recently updated to the latest version of Windows 10 on my PC, and I don't 100% know if the bluescreen errors occured maybe before I updated windows or right after. Regardless, they have been occuring a lot. They occur frequently when downloading/installing games or large...
  8. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL crash

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL crash: Hello everyone, So, my laptop has been having a lot of random problems but this blue screen of death was the best problem that I could be specific about. I was simply browsing Steam when the BSOD happened. Before writing this thread I already checked a few things: - Ran...
  9. PC randomly, infrequently crashes.

PC randomly, infrequently crashes.: I used to have crashing problems a while ago, but i seemed to have fixed them up until recently. Every now and then, very infrequently happens maybe once a month with everyday use my PC will lock up and freeze. There will be a small blue rectangle in the top left corner of...
  10. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL crash

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL crash: Hello, So it already happend to me trice that my laptop just suddenly crashes and gives me irql_not_less_or_equal error saying ndis.sys failed and I really find this strange. Can somebody please help? Thank you.Attachment 127018 80365