Windows 10: Initital Installation with Local User Account

Discus and support Initital Installation with Local User Account in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When running a new computer for the first time today (an HP Desktop) it was impossible to set up Windows 10 initially with a local user account. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GTS-NJ, Jul 5, 2019.

1. GTS-NJ Win User

Initital Installation with Local User Account

When running a new computer for the first time today (an HP Desktop) it was impossible to set up Windows 10 initially with a local user account. The option simply wasn't there. There was a help item that said, in effect, you have to use a Microsoft account and then can change it later to local. This is the first time this has happened. I've set up dozens of comptuers with local accounts at the outset. (FWIW -The version on the computer was 1809.)

Has anyone else run into this? I'm wondering if it's caused by something HP did in it's setup or a involves a change by Microsoft. I can't find any information about such a change.

(This is frankly infuriating. I set up many computers for small businesses and we NEVER want to use a Microsoft account. To make this work, I had to use one of my own MS accounts and then change it later. I certainly don't want to end up with many customers computers referenced in my account, not to mention the additional time it wasted. )

:)

GTS-NJ, Jul 5, 2019

2. Local account installation question

I'm fairly certain that Skip this step was available in 10.0.130 - the workaround in Step 20 (back button) is no longer required.

The currently known, as of 10.0.130, ways to create a Local account sign-in are
    • Skip this step at the MS account creation phase
    • No Internet connection during the install
    • static IP (post# 2 by Fragment) - New (to me anyway)

Slartybart, Jul 5, 2019
  3. Local vs Network user accounts

I just did a VM install, just to verify that I don't speak total crap.

Steps I took:

1. Installed Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 15063.0
    2. Entered the License Key
    3. Created a local account
    4. Went to accounts and added my Microsoft account
    5. Let Windows use this account for all apps
    6. Checked status on Microsoft account web page.
    7. Verified that the VM shows up there
    8. deleted my VM locally
    9. created a new VM installation without entering the License Key (on same VM but totally new Virtual disk)
    10. re-did steps 3-7
    11. verified that my VM is activated.

And indeed it is activated and I login to my VM using local account which is linked to my MS account. Initital Installation with Local User Account :)

Should I create a Video of this or do you trust my word on it? Or better yet test it yourself if you have a valid license key you can waste on a VM.

slicendice, Jul 5, 2019
  4. Kari Win User

Local Acct user and MS account user - sync them or merge them

If the local account is the one where you have most of your personal data, this is how I would do it:

• Sign in to your Microsoft account
    • Copy all documents, pictures and other personal data from Microsoft account's user folders to corresponding folders in user Public (contents of MS account Documents folder to Public Documents folder and so on)
    • Sign out from Microsoft account
    Notice that above steps are only required if Microsoft account user folders contain data you want to keep. If its user folders are empty or do not contain anything worth saving, you can skip the above steps. Continue from below.

• Sign in to the local account
    • Delete the Microsoft account (Option One in this tutorial)
    • Switch your local account to a Microsoft account (tutorial)
    • Copy the data backed up from old Microsoft account to Public folders to new Microsoft account in corresponding folders

That's it. Using the Public folders as temporary storage you will have none whatsoever file owner / permission issues later on.

Kari, Jul 5, 2019
Thema:

1. Initital Installation with Local User Account - Similar Threads - Initital Installation Local

2. Local user account disappeared

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Local user account disappeared: There is no option to sign into a local account I had created on windows 10 on my laptop. It does not give me the option to log in nor switch to the account though it can still be viewed in my settings. I was on it but then when I locked the account and tried to get back on...
  3. Local user account disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Local user account disappeared: There is no option to sign into a local account I had created on windows 10 on my laptop. It does not give me the option to log in nor switch to the account though it can still be viewed in my settings. I was on it but then when I locked the account and tried to get back on...
  4. Local user account disappeared

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. removing a local user account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    removing a local user account: I have opened a local user account in Windows 10. I want to delete. How? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/removing-a-local-user-account/87ea0603-d0fd-4375-a12b-a2b6f0a80b27
  6. Local User Account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Local User Account: Hi, I have a problem that I cant delete my other local user account, already perform Setting > Account > Family and other user > remove account But still the user appear, appreciate for the help, thanks...
  7. local user account

in Windows 10 Customization
    local user account: how do I access the one that I created https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-user-account/ee6a2922-2dfb-4e0b-9944-70cfa2a5be8d
  8. Local user accounts no internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Local user accounts no internet: Hello, Recently after a Windows Update restart, my local user account loses internet until I sign in once to an administrator account. This problem persisted everytime I restart the computer. Anyone experiencing the same issue? Does anyone know the fix to this please?...
  9. Changing to a local user account.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Changing to a local user account.: Hey guys, I am thinking of changing to a local user account. My main questions is, when there is a windows update (1809 to 1903) would my personal settings be still there when i upgrade or will I have to redo my settings? Also, if I change to a local account, would that...
  10. Local User Account and OneDrive

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Local User Account and OneDrive: From what I have read, in order to use OneDrive (integrated in the OS, not the web browser), you have to use a MSA account to login to the computer in order to use OneDrive. Is there a way to use a Local user account, while still using OneDrive without using a web browser?...