Windows 10: Inplace upgrade from Win 7

Discus and support Inplace upgrade from Win 7 in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Has anybody had difficulty upgrading to 10 1809? I have been working an MDT task sequence (from SCCM) and I have had a really difficult time upgrading... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Steemy1, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Inplace upgrade from Win 7

Has anybody had difficulty upgrading to 10 1809? I have been working an MDT task sequence (from SCCM) and I have had a really difficult time upgrading to it. There’s been many installs that go about 90% through and then rollback. For some reason 1709 has a much better success rate. But the business is being stubborn and insists on 1809 right out the gate. Been testing a step to just upgrade a second time after the successful upgrade to 1709 but it seems to fail/skip the 1809 step. Good day.

submitted by /u/Steemy1
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Steemy1, Dec 17, 2019
  2. n2bn2b Win User

Recommend hardware changes for upgrading from Win-7 to Win-10

Bree
    I followed your suggestions (2nd Aug 19) for installing Win-10. Made the bootable flash drive successfully through the media creation tool. But when I attempted to upgrade and activate to Win-10 (64 bit) from within Win-7 (Pro-32 bit), I got the following error message:

Error # OxC1900101-Ox20017. " The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation"

I read the diagnostics under this error number and carried out the proposed fixes, i.e. update Win-7, uninstall Malwarebyte antivirus, disconnect all external hardware, e.g. printer, scanner, external hard drives. I then tried to repeat the steps to do the upgrade through the Win-10 bootable flash drive as before. Got the same error message.
    Appreciate any further comments and suggestions as to (a) what does a failure in the SAFE_OS during boot operation mean, (b) what can I do to solve it. Is this anything to do with the hardware in my computer? I listed these in my first posting above.
    Thanks for any help

n2bn2b, Dec 17, 2019
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    can't perform inplace upgrade

Hi,

It is possible that you're unable to perform an in-place upgrade due to having not enough space for your partition. To better assist you, we'd like to gather more information:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article
    to troubleshoot your system reserved partition. It will provide you instructions to increase the available space of your System Reserved Partition.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Dec 17, 2019
  4. Inplace upgrade from Win 7

Windows 7 upgrade to Win 10...setup

There are actually two options in Media creation Tool:

• Upgrade this PC now:Automatic Download, Installation.You do not need to do anything.You are trying this option.
    • Create Installation media for PCInplace upgrade from Win 7 :Download an Installation file.When downloaded and opened, you will find a setup.exe to start the Inplace upgrade.Make sure you download the Installation media according to your system.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DOWNLOAD THE INSTALLATION MEDIA

Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums

Use method 2 from here and follow as said.

Use the recommended options for this PC should be checked as you are using the ISO to upgrade the current system.Skip step 6.

Then after download completes, you need to run the setup to upgrade your system.This is the guide:

Upgrade to Windows 10

Method 7/Step 7 should be followed and you will get starting setup

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------SKIP CHECKING UPDATES

Uncheck get the latest updates for Installation(select not right now) at the first screen, which would skip this step.

Inplace upgrade from Win 7 71a8b9e4-c2ed-4dbf-9873-113a54efd57a.png

Let us know if any questions are there

Sumit Dhiman2, Dec 17, 2019
Thema:

Inplace upgrade from Win 7

1. Inplace upgrade from Win 7 - Similar Threads - Inplace upgrade

2. how to perform inplace upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to perform inplace upgrade: steps to perform inplace upgrade https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-perform-inplace-upgrade/f471becf-0e2b-45f3-b8eb-dc7b7deda5ed
  3. how to perform inplace upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to perform inplace upgrade: steps to perform inplace upgrade https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-perform-inplace-upgrade/f471becf-0e2b-45f3-b8eb-dc7b7deda5ed
  4. how to perform inplace upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Cannot inplace upgrade Windows 10 1607 to 1803 Windows 10 update fail !. Please help me...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot inplace upgrade Windows 10 1607 to 1803 Windows 10 update fail !. Please help me...: I run the Windows 10 1803 setup.exe from ISO from within already running Windows 10 1607. The set up process start and when the Systemt is about to reboot cannot reboot with information "Windows 10 setup fail !".I have tried many times but not succeeded.My...
  6. Cannot inplace upgrade Windows 10 1607 to 1803 Windows 10 update fail !. Please help me...

Cannot inplace upgrade Windows 10 1607 to 1803 Windows 10 update fail !. Please help me...: I run the Windows 10 1803 setup.exe from ISO from within already running Windows 10 1607. The set up process start and when the Systemt is about to reboot cannot reboot with information "Windows 10 setup fail !".I have tried many times but not succeeded.My...
  7. Cannot inplace upgrade Windows 10 1607 to 1803 Windows 10 update fail !. Please help me...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. InPlace upgrade Windows 2012 R2 to Windows 2019 fails with error ‘'0xC1900101 - 0x20017...

InPlace upgrade Windows 2012 R2 to Windows 2019 fails with error ‘'0xC1900101 - 0x20017...: Hello world,I am trying to upgrade a Windows 2012R2 server to 2019 inplace.On reboot, the upgrade fails with the below error:‘'0xC1900101 - 0x20017 Installation failed during safe OS phase with an error during boot operation'”I have patched fully the Windows 2012R2 server...
  9. InPlace upgrade Windows 2012 R2 to Windows 2019 fails with error ‘'0xC1900101 - 0x20017...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    InPlace upgrade Windows 2012 R2 to Windows 2019 fails with error ‘'0xC1900101 - 0x20017...: Hello world,I am trying to upgrade a Windows 2012R2 server to 2019 inplace.On reboot, the upgrade fails with the below error:‘'0xC1900101 - 0x20017 Installation failed during safe OS phase with an error during boot operation'”I have patched fully the Windows 2012R2 server...
  10. Stuck on "Making sure you're ready to install" while trying to "inplace upgrade"

Stuck on "Making sure you're ready to install" while trying to "inplace upgrade": Today my Windows store just stopped working and multiple things just started breaking.I made a post already about this and the person helping told me to do an "inplace upgrade" with the Windows 11 ISO file.I activated it and it's taking forever to work, I've tried it about 6...