Windows 10: inquiry on how many times to backup

Discus and support inquiry on how many times to backup in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; for now, I have backup plan to backup daily, Monday through Friday. or should I go with a monthly backup plan?*Tongue 65990 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Pathfinder, Oct 4, 2016.

1. inquiry on how many times to backup

for now, I have backup plan to backup daily, Monday through Friday. or should I go with a monthly backup plan?*Tongue

:)

Pathfinder, Oct 4, 2016

2. On average, how many times do you have to restart your phone daily?

Yes I have apps installed on the SD card. Shifting them to the internal memory is not really an option (would leave very little free space over there which would then cause other problems). Besides, if the phone allows you to install the apps on the card,
    shouldn't they work from there? Yes, they should.

Without the card, there will be no custom apps and the phone would be almost useless (will turn into a basic device used to make calls and send text). To me, this is not an option. Also, I don't see how it would solve the problem automagically after some time.

The card doesn't seem to be faulty. I tried to connect the phone without the card inserted and it got connected alright for two times but the USB mode chooser froze the third time, just the same as with the card inserted. So a new card is probably not going
    to solve the problem.

Must be something strange happening here. Maybe it's due to the apps installed on the card rather than the internal memory, but I just cannot install all those apps within that limited space.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm waiting for more members' experience to come to any conclusion.

algotechie---01, Oct 4, 2016
  3. On average, how many times do you have to restart your phone daily?

I have E71 and I don't restart it for weeks. Do you have applications installed on the SD card? If yes, you can try to reinstall them to the internal memory. If this doesn't solve the problem, you can try to use the phone without the SD card for some time,
    or try with another SD card.

vvasilevnm, Oct 4, 2016
  4. strollin Win User

inquiry on how many times to backup

How critical is your data? What volume of changes do you make on a daily basis?

The answer to how often to backup lies in how much data you are willing to lose in the event of a hard drive failure. Some businesses need to backup hourly in order to prevent losing too much data, others less often because their data doesn't change as quickly.

If you lost an hour's worth or a week's worth of data how damaging would that be to you?

strollin, Oct 4, 2016
  5. I have set macrium just now to backup every sat and sun only. its fine

inquiry on how many times to backup [​IMG]

Pathfinder, Oct 4, 2016
  6. lx07 Win User
    You could also consider using File History to backup changed documents hourly (or daily). It isn't a replacement for full backups as it only covers your documents but can be a useful addition.

It runs in the background and is very helpful if you want to restore just one document you deleted or changed a couple of days or months ago.

File History - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

lx07, Oct 4, 2016
  7. I backup every Sunday to an external drive, and also File History does back up every day.

hTconeM9user, Oct 4, 2016
  8. RolandJS Win User

Because data changes are not that much, for now, I average around 2-3 OS partition and data partition every two weeks or so.

RolandJS, Oct 4, 2016
  9. I remember that terrible day when I downloaded what seemed like an innocent program to give me more cloud storage..its called cloudapp. do not trust it! it hijacked my pc. changed all the passes, including login. after 48 hours, I finally regained foothold..but after a hard reset. always backup, never know when youll need that life line.

Pathfinder, Oct 7, 2016
  10. SUBHAMRAY Win User
    Just have a backup plan on weekends

SUBHAMRAY, Oct 7, 2016
  11. For such a question, there will be as many different answers as there are respondents. Eh?

One very wise man once said, "the only bad backup is the one you decided NOT to make."

I try not to make that BAD decision, and over the years I've probably had more hard drive crashes than the average person.
    So I've probably gone above and beyond what would be the minimum backup scheme, to protect my own data files.

To really be safe, all backups should be made to external drives that can be UN-Plugged for safety.
    External hard drives have gotten real cheap in the past few years. I have several of them, from a little 80GB, all the way up to a big 2TB drive.

Something that many folks don't take into account, is, if your Backup/Restore program is on your Windows drive, how will you do a restore to a new HD if your old HD has totally Crashed (stopped working, arc'd, sparked and smoked)? It DOES happen!
    A: Your Backup/Restore program, and your backup of at least your C: drive, must be on some bootable media, like a CD or Flash Drive.

I boot up my own computer with the "Ghost" program on either a CD or Flash drive and I'm able to then do a backup or restore totally independent of Windows. That gives me great flexibility on doing both backups and restores.
    And the nice thing about Ghost (Ghost 11.5, DOS Version) is that it will backup or restore any OS from '98 to W-10/64.
    I just used it to copy Windows 10, Pro/64 from an old spinner to a new SSD.

For a quick and easy daily DATA backup, I use a little batch file which I wrote myself, to copy the "My Documents" folder to an external drive. I use the old faithful DOS program "XCOPY" in my batch file, to do the backup. It virtually just takes Seconds to do a daily backup. For Windows and everything else, I use Ghost 11.5 to backup my C: partition to an external USB 3.0 hard drive, and I do this at least once a week.
    At least once a month, I do a complete CLONE of my main hard drive to a 2TB drive that I only connect to the PC motherboard when I'm doing the backup. Then I disconnect it, for complete safety, from power surges or lightning strikes.

Once in a while, I have to do a recovery for one of my customers who has had a HD crash. It's really sad when there is NO backup, or the last backup is a year old. So much can be lost and never be recovered when a backup is either old or non-existent.

So in short...... Backup! Backup! Backup!

TechnoMage, Oct 7, 2016
  12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

You actually can't have TOO many backups
    Data that doesn't change much e.g media files etc you could archive as and when but as far as the OS and pgms is concerned backup BEFORE installing anything and I'd certainly backup daily.

If you have OS + pgms on a separate HDD / partition a backup with something like Macrium won't take too long -- on an SSD can take as little as 5 mins -- so no problems taking these regularly.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 8, 2016
  13. inquiry on how many times to backup

My self I brought an external caddy that a laptop hard drive can fit inside, got the hard drive from a laptop with 4 GB on it that the keyboard and screen went.
    Did a format and when I want to backup I just plug it in and within 30-60 seconds I have backed up any new files that have been added.
    So as you have put back in your signature is so true

hTconeM9user, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. inquiry on how many times to backup - Similar Threads - inquiry many times

2. Inquiry

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Inquiry: HOW CAN I SEND A MAIL FROM MICROSOFT WORD PAD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/inquiry/4fb35062-267b-4ce2-be90-bedf25d19ee9
  3. Inquiry

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Inquiry: HOW CAN I SEND A MAIL FROM MICROSOFT WORD PAD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/inquiry/4fb35062-267b-4ce2-be90-bedf25d19ee9
  4. Inquiry

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Inquiry: Greetings. I have been attempting to install Forza Horizon 4 via the Microsoft Store App on my Samsung Galaxy Book S but unfortunately, It has been unsuccessful. I would like to know if the Game is compatible with my device or not....
  5. Trojan Inquiry

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Trojan Inquiry: Hello, recently I was doing an experiment and I downloaded a file which contains a trojan. Windows Defender automatically stopped it and I ran a full scan with malware bytes and windows defender. It was a Trojan:Win32/Dridex. My question is, can trojans be detected easily?...
  6. HUP respone time inquiry

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    HUP respone time inquiry: I just got a new computer. I want to download the latest version of Microsoft Office through the Home Use Program. I downloaded from the HUP in 2016. I entered my work email this morning, but no response to my work email yet. How long does it usually take the HUP to...
  7. timed backups

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    timed backups: Need to know how to go about changing the length o time between "timed backups" Can't find (or remember) where to change it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/timed-backups/586f9285-376a-4c29-8a25-d96b4e5b4cef
  8. Pricing inquiry

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Pricing inquiry: Hi! How much are paper licenses for windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pricing-inquiry/c1708124-57f3-428b-a7f5-8d494f006f28"
  9. first time user of WD backup program (inquiry)

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    first time user of WD backup program (inquiry): I have just setup my external HDD. I haven't yet decided to start the backup process yet.. can I backup entire OS? and instructions said it will create a system image too, I don't have any disks setup yet. I want to make sure everything goes without a hitch before initialize...
  10. Upgrade then revert - How many times is it allowed?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade then revert - How many times is it allowed?: I have already upgraded to WIN10 from WIN7 on my experimental desktop and then reverted back using the built in facility. Can you do this more than once if you keep on wanting to give it a go to see if bugs have been fixed or is this eventually going to cause issues with the...