Windows 10: Install W10 on new SSD Failing

Discus and support Install W10 on new SSD Failing in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Sony Vaio laptop (VPCYB15KX), a bit old but working nonetheless currently running Windows 7 Home Premium and works fine, but is quite slow so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by craig91, Jan 2, 2016.

1. craig91 Win User

Install W10 on new SSD Failing

I have a Sony Vaio laptop (VPCYB15KX), a bit old but working nonetheless currently running Windows 7 Home Premium and works fine, but is quite slow so I decided to upgrade to an SSD. Picked up a crucial MX200 250 GB SSD and was going to upgrade to Windows 10 (fresh install) and made a bootable USB of the W10 iso.

I can get to the screen to select the drive/partition to install to, and when I select the unallocated drive and choose new, it creates the 500 MB system reserved partition, and then I select the other partition (remaining space) and choose format it spits out the error "Failed to format the selected partition [Error: 0x80070057]". At first I thought, maybe the new SSD is bad so I popped it into another Laptop of mine (thinkpad 520) and it was able to install Windows 10 onto the SSD without issue. I then moved the drive back to the Sony Vaio and it would not boot, giving disk read error message on boot, and then complaining some sort of Boot files were missing (was a Windows 10 type screen, blue background and white text). If I put the old Samsung 2.5" HDD back into the Vaio and boot it works without issue..

I also ran from the "run" tool perfmon /report to help determine if there were any hardware issues but nothing major I can see. I can't understand why it will boot the old Windows 7 image on the HDD, but not a Windows 10 image (created by another laptop) on an SSD or format the necessary partitions for a fresh W10 installation? I'm really stumped..

Test Groups Tests Failed Description Controller Device Configured Fail Count 11 0 Controller devices. Controller Device Status Fail Count 11 0 Controller devices. Cooling Configured Fail Count 0 0 Cooling devices. Cooling Status Fail Count 0 0 Cooling devices. Input Configured Fail Count 2 0 Input devices. Input Status Fail Count 2 0 Input devices. Memory Device Configured Fail Count 72 0 Memory devices. Memory Device Status Fail Count 72 0 Memory devices. Motherboard Device Configured Fail Count 8 0 Motherboard devices. Motherboard Device Status Fail Count 8 0 Motherboard devices. Network Configured Fail Count 13 0 Network devices. Network Status Fail Count 13 0 Network devices. Port Device Configured Fail Count 40 0 Port devices. Port Device Status Fail Count 40 0 Port devices. Power Device Configured Fail Count 1 0 Power devices. Power Device Status Fail Count 1 0 Power devices. Printing Device Configured Fail Count 11 0 Printing devices. Printing Device Status Fail Count 11 0 Printing devices. Storage Device Configured Fail Count 1 0 Storage devices. Storage Device Status Fail Count 1 0 Storage devices. Video Device Configured Fail Count 2 0 Video devices. Video Device Status Fail Count 2 0 Video devices. PlugAndPlay Device Configured Fail Count 142 1 PlugAndPlay devices. PlugAndPlay Device Status Fail Count 142 0 PlugAndPlay devices.

:)

craig91, Jan 2, 2016
  2. Rober194 Win User

Windows 10 Upgraded and Activated

I upgraded from W7 Pro to W10 Pro And it is Activated. I've decided I want to install a new SSD. Will I be able to install the new SSD and install W10 Pro on my New SSD and will it activate?

Rober194, Jan 2, 2016
  3. JS72 Win User
    download Windows 10 upgrade to dvd

Right... but how do I get the W10 clean install on the new SSD after it is on the old disk drive ? I want to take out the disk drive and clean install it on the new SSD . Do you mean the option to clean install on the SSD will be available if both drives
    are in during the upgrade ? Then I can remove the old drive and it will then boot with W10 on the SSD?

JS72, Jan 2, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Are you trying to do an eufi install or a legacy bios install?

If eufi, the ssd needs to be in gpt format. If legacy bios, ssd needs to be in mbr format.

cereberus, Jan 2, 2016
  5. craig91 Win User
    Thanks for the reply. This I have no idea about, how do I know which I'm doing? All I'm doing is pressing F11 to get the boot manager and selecting my bootable USB stick when it's powering on.

craig91, Jan 2, 2016
  6. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

No need to format anyway. Just clean the drive and start over without formatting.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Jan 2, 2016
  7. craig91 Win User
    I tried. It starts the install process and within 10 seconds then the error "Windows could not format a partition on disk 0. The error occurred while preparing the partition selected for installation. Error code: 0x80070057"

craig91, Jan 2, 2016
  8. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

Are you certain the drive does not contain any partitions at all ?

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Jan 2, 2016
  9. craig91 Win User
    Yes pretty sure, here is the before/after and all I've done is click next. Thank you.

Install W10 on new SSD Failing [​IMG]

craig91, Jan 2, 2016
  10. CmmTch Win User
    Check this tutorial https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html It's a place to start, it's not real clear what might be causing your computer to error out. Follow the tutorial and see if things work out.

Brink has done a fine job putting an extensive tutorial forum together with contributions from other expert tenforums members. It can be a huge help with problems like you're experiencing.

CmmTch, Jan 2, 2016
  11. craig91 Win User
    Thanks for the suggestion - though it doesn't look like it's anything I haven't tried.

When going through the install process I either have the option to delete the existing partitions that I attempted to create on previous install attempts and then attempt to install to the unallocated block of free space which gives the error I posted earlier or I can click new which creates a 500 MB system partition, and a second primary partition. If I attempt to install now to that second "primary" partition it fails with the error "Windows could not format a partition on disk 0. The error occurred while preparing the partition selected for installation. Error code: 0x80070057"

craig91, Jan 2, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    What about creating a MiniTool Partition Wizard (free) USB/CD, booting from that, wipe the SSD by writing zeroes to the drive, create and format a NTFS partition on the entire drive minus 1GB, then attempting to install Windows to the partition already formatted by MiniTool?

NavyLCDR, Jan 2, 2016
  13. craig91 Win User

I will give it a shot, thank you. Although as I mentioned I did install Windows 10 on this SSD, through a second laptop without issue but when I put the SSD in the original laptop it would not boot successfully..

By the way, the bios on this thing is pretty limited and I don't have a legacy/uefi boot option.

craig91, Jan 2, 2016
  14. craig91 Win User
    No dice *Sad Wiped to zeroes, created NTFS primary partition minus 1 GB, and then wouldn't let me proceed to install on that partition with the error "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the Setup log files".

Error after trying to install on NTFS partition formatted in mini partition wizard.

Crucial MX200 250 GB SSD (cannot yet install windows on)

Stock Samsung 500 GB HDD with Windows 7 (still working/booting fine)

I tried going into the repair my computer at the start of the install wizard, ran a 'clean' from diskpart and install again on the unallocated block, still gives error. I am stumped.

craig91, Jan 2, 2016
  15. CmmTch Win User
    This might be a workaround to get W10 to boot, you've mentioned W10 installs on the new SSD on another computer, but won't boot on the original laptop. Have you considered doing that to get W10 on the SSD, then install the SSD on the original laptop and try startup repair?

If you've tried this already nevermind, but this may be an option to repair the boot on the original laptop https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...lure-boot.html

Grasping at straws here, but you've tried most everything that might be suggested with no resolution.

P.S. on my computer I've always had retail installs so a recovery drive was never created on any OS install, but the W10 iso gives the same repair options and capability if you boot from the USB iso.

CmmTch, Jan 2, 2016
Thema:

1. Install W10 on new SSD Failing - Similar Threads - Install W10 SSD

2. W10 Reformat/Install on New SSD Help Requested

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 Reformat/Install on New SSD Help Requested: Hi guys. I got my Stimulus money yesterday in my Bank Account, and placed order for 2 2TB Samsung Evo Plus 970 SSD's. They should both arrive this Wednesday. Here is my situation: I have an MSI GT75 Laptop, that has 3 SSD slots. Currently, the slots have 2 1TB Samsung Evo...
  3. Failed W10 Install

Failed W10 Install: Ok ... purchased the W10 Home from the Microsoft Store yesterday Nov 3 2020 to update my W7 machine. Received the email with the key and the install link. When I purchased on the phone and asked about whether a 64bit install was included and was told that I would be...
  4. W10 ssd in new machine

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    W10 ssd in new machine: Im getting a new system and putting my old ssd in the new system as the os drive. Do i need to reinstall Windows ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/w10-ssd-in-new-machine/7e9d7623-86bb-4b2d-bc93-d89eef82d0c5
  5. New W10 Install Slower On NVME Than SSD

New W10 Install Slower On NVME Than SSD: I have been using samsung 860 SSD over recent years and thought i would try m2 nvme 970. The boot on nvme is taking maybe more than double the amount of time on nvme to load windows compared to 860. Does that sound right ? I would expect the same if not quicker than SSD....
  6. Disk management question after installing w10 to new ssd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk management question after installing w10 to new ssd: Hello, Got a new SSD and installed Windows 10 to it. Screenshot - 4088ea7e17f1f494fa39ca300dc6e2c2 - Gyazo Does this look correct? Or do i have some remnants from the old os or something because i have those system reserveds on the hdd. Or is it normal to have those....
  7. New install of W10

in Windows 10 Support
    New install of W10: Have just installed Windows 10 dual boot with Windows 7, so it uses Windows 7 credentials. What a pig's ear Microsoft has made of this. Can't install Firefox, can't set up my Hotmail account, can't install Tweekbit, in fact, can't install anything. Keeps wanting me to part...
  8. Problems installing W10 to a clean/new SSD.

Problems installing W10 to a clean/new SSD.: So i just bought a bigger SSD to install w10 on and the installer runs fine right up until the first restart. Computer restarts and the W10 installer is back at the start where I select the language. Im installing from an USB boot stick which I made with microsofts own tool....
  9. How to "point" W10 install to a new drive (ssd)

How to "point" W10 install to a new drive (ssd): My current C: drive, won't refresh because of "unsupported layout for UEFI firmware". Research indicates that I would have to clean off the entire disk (4 partions) in order to make it GPT so the install could proceed. I have a 119GB SSD that I designated a GPT disk, but...
  10. New W10 installation

in Windows 10 Support
    New W10 installation: Installed a couple hours ago seems to work quite well, but how do I find my computer as in win 7 , my drives etc??? 13512