Windows 10: Install W10 on new SSD Failing

Discus and support Install W10 on new SSD Failing in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This might be a workaround to get W10 to boot, you've mentioned W10 installs on the new SSD on another computer, but won't boot on the original laptop.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by craig91, Jan 2, 2016.

1. craig91 Win User

Install W10 on new SSD Failing

Yes unfortunately I already tried this, startup repair is unable to repair any issue.

craig91, Jan 2, 2016
  2. CmmTch Win User

Well crap *Sad hopefully somebody will come along with other ideas and things to try. Since it works in another computer it would seem it's something in the laptop stopping it from competing an install.

I'm at a loss, I guess if it were me I wouldn't be able to resist trying to get something going.

I looked back over the thread and didn't see this, if W10 will install as an upgrade on the Win7 HDD in the original laptop, do that, then you can created a backup/image to an external drive from the W10 HDD. Remove the HDD, install the SSD, boot from install media, and do a repair install of the backup/image to the SSD from the backup you created.

I've done it that way a couple times with Win7 to move to a new SSD and once with W10, had to run startup repair to get it to boot from the SSD after the backup/image install.

Sorry if you've tried that, but there's really not much left AFAIK.

P.S. remove all drives except the new SSD and the drive with the image on it when you're running the repair install backup/image.

CmmTch, Jan 2, 2016
  3. craig91 Win User
    Thanks a lot for your help man. Your idea about upgrade to w10/restore from backup and another user who suggested format a partition using mini partition tool lead me to the option to clone the old disk to the ssd (as I was kind of afraid of running the upgrade on my working drive in case it wouldn't boot after), the clone completed and I'm booting windows 7 from the SSD now *Smile

Although my goal was to do a clean install, I will try the upgrade from 7 to 10 option and see if there in an option for a clean install. Thanks!!

craig91, Jan 2, 2016
  4. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

Not that I can remember but I wouldn't worry about a clean install or an upgrade install. I can't spot any difference in my experience.

Cheers and best of luck, *Wink

fdegrove, Jan 2, 2016
  5. CmmTch Win User
    I concur with fdegrove on the upgrade versus clean install, I guess if your box is totally hosed with a huge amount of crap, that may be a way to go, otherwise I'd stick with the upgrade. I have far too many favorites and many, many small items that would be a huge PIA to replace, upgrade keeps all that in place.

Both times with W10 I've done an upgrade, first time from windows update, second time from downloading the iso for 10586 and doing an upgrade from the iso (windows update refused to work as far as moving to W10 10586)

Glad to hear you've got things going *Smile and again, if you've built up things over the years on your Win7 I'd do an upgrade. Even if you haven't built up much on Win7, in reading over tenforums, the consenses seems to be there's not a noticeable difference between clean install and an upgrade.

CmmTch, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Install W10 on new SSD Failing - Similar Threads - Install W10 SSD

2. W10 Reformat/Install on New SSD Help Requested

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 Reformat/Install on New SSD Help Requested: Hi guys. I got my Stimulus money yesterday in my Bank Account, and placed order for 2 2TB Samsung Evo Plus 970 SSD's. They should both arrive this Wednesday. Here is my situation: I have an MSI GT75 Laptop, that has 3 SSD slots. Currently, the slots have 2 1TB Samsung Evo...
  3. Failed W10 Install

Failed W10 Install: Ok ... purchased the W10 Home from the Microsoft Store yesterday Nov 3 2020 to update my W7 machine. Received the email with the key and the install link. When I purchased on the phone and asked about whether a 64bit install was included and was told that I would be...
  4. W10 ssd in new machine

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    W10 ssd in new machine: Im getting a new system and putting my old ssd in the new system as the os drive. Do i need to reinstall Windows ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/w10-ssd-in-new-machine/7e9d7623-86bb-4b2d-bc93-d89eef82d0c5
  5. New W10 Install Slower On NVME Than SSD

New W10 Install Slower On NVME Than SSD: I have been using samsung 860 SSD over recent years and thought i would try m2 nvme 970. The boot on nvme is taking maybe more than double the amount of time on nvme to load windows compared to 860. Does that sound right ? I would expect the same if not quicker than SSD....
  6. Disk management question after installing w10 to new ssd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk management question after installing w10 to new ssd: Hello, Got a new SSD and installed Windows 10 to it. Screenshot - 4088ea7e17f1f494fa39ca300dc6e2c2 - Gyazo Does this look correct? Or do i have some remnants from the old os or something because i have those system reserveds on the hdd. Or is it normal to have those....
  7. New install of W10

in Windows 10 Support
    New install of W10: Have just installed Windows 10 dual boot with Windows 7, so it uses Windows 7 credentials. What a pig's ear Microsoft has made of this. Can't install Firefox, can't set up my Hotmail account, can't install Tweekbit, in fact, can't install anything. Keeps wanting me to part...
  8. Problems installing W10 to a clean/new SSD.

Problems installing W10 to a clean/new SSD.: So i just bought a bigger SSD to install w10 on and the installer runs fine right up until the first restart. Computer restarts and the W10 installer is back at the start where I select the language. Im installing from an USB boot stick which I made with microsofts own tool....
  9. How to "point" W10 install to a new drive (ssd)

How to "point" W10 install to a new drive (ssd): My current C: drive, won't refresh because of "unsupported layout for UEFI firmware". Research indicates that I would have to clean off the entire disk (4 partions) in order to make it GPT so the install could proceed. I have a 119GB SSD that I designated a GPT disk, but...
  10. New W10 installation

in Windows 10 Support
    New W10 installation: Installed a couple hours ago seems to work quite well, but how do I find my computer as in win 7 , my drives etc??? 13512

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows install failing with new ssd