Windows 10: Install Windows 8.1. on new hard disk before upgrading to Windows 10?

Discus and support Install Windows 8.1. on new hard disk before upgrading to Windows 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a laptop that came with Windows 8.1. The hard drive failed and has been replaced with a new hard drive. If I want to install Windows 10 on this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ShowsOn, Jan 30, 2016.

1. ShowsOn Win User

Install Windows 8.1. on new hard disk before upgrading to Windows 10?

I have a laptop that came with Windows 8.1. The hard drive failed and has been replaced with a new hard drive. If I want to install Windows 10 on this laptop, do I first need to install Windows 8.1. and then perform the upgrade to Windows 10, or can I just install Windows 10? Will Windows 10 use the Windows 8.1 license key in the BIOS to activate? Or will this not work unless I first install Windows 8.1. and then upgrade to Windows 10?

This computer has never had Windows 10 on it.

The computer has a new unformatted hard disk that has never had Windows 8.1. installed.

:)

ShowsOn, Jan 30, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Windows 10 upgrade with new hard drive

If you install Windows 10 on a blank hard disk you will have to buy a Windows 10 license. If you upgrade Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 you won't need a Windows 10 license.

After you have upgraded Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, you can move your installation to a new hard disk without needing a license.

Never, ever upgrade over a problem. That is an operating system installers first rule. If you're going to upgrade Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, solve your problems with Windows 8.1 first. Otherwise, you're just asking for trouble.

BulldogXX, Jan 30, 2016
  3. Windows 10 upgrade with new hard drive

Hi,

I have a Toshiba computer that came with Windows 8 and later it was automatically upgraded to Windows 8.1. The machine is eligible for the free Windows 10 upgrade. I registered for the update and the
    Get Windows 10 app downloaded the necessary files, so the next step would be to start the upgrade process (see screenshot).

Unfortunately, however, I am experiencing issues with my computer that suggest an impending hard disk failure (unexplained slowdowns, 100% disk activity, very low disk response times, frequent crashes etc), so I want to replace my
    HDD before the upgrade. But I am not sure how I can claim my free upgrade if I start with a new HDD? What would be the appropriate procedure here to replace the hard disk and still be able to install Windows 10?
    Thanks,
    Andras

AndrasKomaromi, Jan 30, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Jan 30, 2016
  5. ShowsOn Win User
    I downloaded a new image on 10th of January. I think it is build 10586. Will that one work? I also have the original RTM 10240.

Thanks for your reply.

ShowsOn, Jan 30, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    You want the build 10586 downloaded in January.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Install Windows 8.1. on new hard disk before upgrading to Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Install hard disk

2. ~ How install WINDOWS 10 on NEW HD after DEAD Hard Drive on OEM Windows 8 install ? ~

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    ~ How install WINDOWS 10 on NEW HD after DEAD Hard Drive on OEM Windows 8 install ? ~: ~ How install WINDOWS 10 on NEW HD after DEAD Hard Drive on OEM Windows 8 install ? ~ OEM computer with initially Windows 8 installed upgraded to Windows 10. When Hard Drive dies how do I install Windows 10 on NEW Hard Drive ? 1. How do access KEY info ? 2. Do I need...
  3. Hard disk in windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard disk in windows 10: While going through system log after memory diagnostic I found error " hard disk has bad block". Can it be repaired? If yes how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-disk-in-windows-10/66d88367-38b2-4001-b15b-75e5bd75d779
  4. New Hard Drive - Windows 10 Upgrade

New Hard Drive - Windows 10 Upgrade: I have a Lenovo G580 laptop that came with Windows 8 originally installed. After the Windows 10 release, I upgraded. The hard drive has been slowing down, so decided to replace with a SSHD. Before doing that, I did the Windows 10,1903 update, then I created a Windows...
  5. Hard Disk Corrupted - need to install windows in another hard disk

Hard Disk Corrupted - need to install windows in another hard disk: Dear Sir My hard disk is corrupted. How will I install windows in another hard disk? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-disk-corrupted-need-to-install-windows-in/87253f42-3d08-4508-9f58-b1e9fc928311
  6. Upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10, fails installation

Upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10, fails installation: Hello i have a laptop with windows 8 and want to upgrade to windows 10 by the media creation tool after going though the steps of downloading and installing the upgrade with keeping personal files and apps when it says restarting it dose not restart and the blue windows 10...
  7. RAID 1 question before upgrading

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RAID 1 question before upgrading: Hi folks, I'm a W7 Pro user, and I'm finally thinking to get the update to W10. Question: at the moment I've a RAID 1 set up; will it still be available after the update and/or after I do a clean install of W10? Thank you 33551
  8. windows 8 to 10 upgrade

windows 8 to 10 upgrade: I have windows 8 (not 8.1) on a laptop. I have ran updates till there are no more important updates. I want to upgrade to 10. I looked at the tutorial (Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums[2]=Installation%20and%20Setup#step6) and it seems straight forward....
  9. Upgrading to Windows 10 on a new Hard Drive

Upgrading to Windows 10 on a new Hard Drive: A friend of mine currently has Windows 7 installed and wants to get a new hard drive and then upgrade to Windows 10. Whats the current way to do this? 59709
  10. Installing Windows 10 to a new Hard Disk.

Installing Windows 10 to a new Hard Disk.: A few weeks ago, I downloaded the Media Creation Tool and created a Windows 10 Recovery disk and used it to do a clean install of my W10 upgraded installation on my desktop. It went well. Now I find I would like to put W10 on my Win 7 Acer laptop and plan to remove the...