Windows 10: Install Windows 8.1. on new hard disk before upgrading to Windows 10?

Discus and support Install Windows 8.1. on new hard disk before upgrading to Windows 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a laptop that came with Windows 8.1. The hard drive failed and has been replaced with a new hard drive. If I want to install Windows 10 on this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ShowsOn, Jan 30, 2016.

1. ShowsOn Win User

Install Windows 8.1. on new hard disk before upgrading to Windows 10?

I have a laptop that came with Windows 8.1. The hard drive failed and has been replaced with a new hard drive. If I want to install Windows 10 on this laptop, do I first need to install Windows 8.1. and then perform the upgrade to Windows 10, or can I just install Windows 10? Will Windows 10 use the Windows 8.1 license key in the BIOS to activate? Or will this not work unless I first install Windows 8.1. and then upgrade to Windows 10?

This computer has never had Windows 10 on it.

The computer has a new unformatted hard disk that has never had Windows 8.1. installed.

:)

ShowsOn, Jan 30, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Windows 10 upgrade with new hard drive

If you install Windows 10 on a blank hard disk you will have to buy a Windows 10 license. If you upgrade Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 you won't need a Windows 10 license.

After you have upgraded Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, you can move your installation to a new hard disk without needing a license.

Never, ever upgrade over a problem. That is an operating system installers first rule. If you're going to upgrade Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, solve your problems with Windows 8.1 first. Otherwise, you're just asking for trouble.

BulldogXX, Jan 30, 2016
  3. Windows 10 upgrade with new hard drive

Hi,

I have a Toshiba computer that came with Windows 8 and later it was automatically upgraded to Windows 8.1. The machine is eligible for the free Windows 10 upgrade. I registered for the update and the
    Get Windows 10 app downloaded the necessary files, so the next step would be to start the upgrade process (see screenshot).

Unfortunately, however, I am experiencing issues with my computer that suggest an impending hard disk failure (unexplained slowdowns, 100% disk activity, very low disk response times, frequent crashes etc), so I want to replace my
    HDD before the upgrade. But I am not sure how I can claim my free upgrade if I start with a new HDD? What would be the appropriate procedure here to replace the hard disk and still be able to install Windows 10?
    Thanks,
    Andras

AndrasKomaromi, Jan 30, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Jan 30, 2016
  5. ShowsOn Win User
    I downloaded a new image on 10th of January. I think it is build 10586. Will that one work? I also have the original RTM 10240.

Thanks for your reply.

ShowsOn, Jan 30, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    You want the build 10586 downloaded in January.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Install Windows 8.1. on new hard disk before upgrading to Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Install hard disk

2. disconnecting internal hard disk before upgrade to Win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    disconnecting internal hard disk before upgrade to Win 11: I want to upgrade from Win 10 to Win 11.With no way to backup all my files, I thought about disconnecting the physical drive E: so it won't be affected.Is this a viable option?...
  3. disconnecting internal hard disk before upgrade to Win 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    disconnecting internal hard disk before upgrade to Win 11: I want to upgrade from Win 10 to Win 11.With no way to backup all my files, I thought about disconnecting the physical drive E: so it won't be affected.Is this a viable option?...
  4. disconnecting internal hard disk before upgrade to Win 11

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 installed to Disk 1 instead of Disk 0

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 installed to Disk 1 instead of Disk 0: I Have Lenovo Legion Y540 with two SSD First SSD OS NVMe Samsung Evo 970 PLus & Second Samsung Evo 860 Sata III 2.5"When I install clean install of windows 10 Pro , it show me the OS disk as disk 1 not 0 & The second SSD as Disk 0.So I Install windows on Disk 1 , Then after I...
  6. windows activation after new hard disk installation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows activation after new hard disk installation: i had replaced and installed a new hard disk after the old one crashed, now there appears to be a message after logging in the system " ypur windows licence will expire soon". i had downloaded a copy from microsoft and had subsequently logged into the microsoft account so...
  7. Transferring windows 10 to new hard disk

Transferring windows 10 to new hard disk: My wife uses a laptop with 32MB emmc for bootdisk. I installed a 256MB ssd because windows 10 needs additional room to be able to update. How do I transfer Windows 10 to the SSD to boot from the SSD. The recovery partition on the emmc was deleted. Is there a way to...
  8. New Hard Disk Format, Cannot Properly Install Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New Hard Disk Format, Cannot Properly Install Windows 10: Hey People of the Forums. I recently had a Hard Drive Issue which was resolved by going into the BIOS and tweaking some settings but after that, I had to boot Windows 10 on a CD/ROM device. And I come to see legitimately all settings cannot even be changed, but last I...
  9. Reuse my hard disk again to install new windows 10

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Reuse my hard disk again to install new windows 10: Hi, I have a hard disk with windows 10, this windows 10 already damaged and now I need to use this hard disk again in my laptop. Do I need to format the C drive in this hard disk? or just ignore the formatting and install windows 10 again? Thanks....
  10. Installing Windows 10 to a new Hard Disk.

Installing Windows 10 to a new Hard Disk.: A few weeks ago, I downloaded the Media Creation Tool and created a Windows 10 Recovery disk and used it to do a clean install of my W10 upgraded installation on my desktop. It went well. Now I find I would like to put W10 on my Win 7 Acer laptop and plan to remove the...