Windows 10: Installing a Different Edition of Windows

Discus and support Installing a Different Edition of Windows in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Update: When I change the product key through Settings and used the OEM Key, it says Windows is Activated. Using ShowKeyPlus says that my product Key... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Krimstix, May 25, 2016.

1. Krimstix Win User

Installing a Different Edition of Windows

Update: When I change the product key through Settings and used the OEM Key, it says Windows is Activated. Using ShowKeyPlus says that my product Key is BBBBB-BB....

Any ideas?

Krimstix, May 26, 2016
  2. cereberus Win User

p
    Nothing to worry about as installed keys have no meaning.

I wonder if it is just a reporting "feature" of showkeyplus. I am sure the esteemed Superfly will know the answer, and respond in due course.

cereberus, May 26, 2016
  3. NavyLCDR New Member
    As long as it says activated with a digital entitlement you are good to go. From now on you can install the same edition of Windows 10 on the same computer and it will activate without entering a product key.

Good job getting legal!

NavyLCDR, May 26, 2016
  4. Krimstix Win User

Yeah. Thanks guys. *Biggrin

Krimstix, May 26, 2016
  5. Superfly Win User
    Sorry if I do not quote each post that I'm answering - let meknow if I'm missing any..

Single Language is an edition which has it's own keys ( i.e. the language restriction is irrelevant as, irrespective of which, the edition remains the same, thus has no effect on the key set)

The BBBBB-BBBBB-BBBBB-BBBBB-BBBBB is a placeholder Windows inserts after activating a MAK key.
    The reason being, these keys can have thousands of activations (for which companies pay huge amounts) and should someone steal one, they could sell that same key to thousands and each will activate as if part of a company network - it's thus a security feature specific to MAK's.

Superfly, May 26, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Thanks for the extra information!

NavyLCDR, May 26, 2016
  7. Superfly Win User
    You are welcome... sharing is caring ...cheesy I know... but true *Wink

Superfly, May 26, 2016
  8. Krimstix Win User

Woah. That's cool. Thank you sir.

Krimstix, May 27, 2016
  9. Superfly Win User
    You are welcome *Wink

BTW: ...although you have genuine (digital entitlement) activation with your OEM key, you may want to remove the dodgy install key - in case MS checks these rogue keys - to do this run from command prompt as admin:

slmgr /ipk BT79Q-G7N6G-PGBYW-4YWX6-6F4BT

That is the generic Windows 10 Single Language key - it won't affect your activation but will give you a fully legit installation.

Superfly, May 27, 2016
  10. Krimstix Win User
    I guess the generic Key is installed already sir.

Installing a Different Edition of Windows [​IMG]

The partial product Key is 6F4BT, which is the last five characters of the generic Key.

Krimstix, May 27, 2016
  11. Superfly Win User
    Oh my bad , I may have missed that... does ShowKey show that as the installed key as well?

Superfly, May 27, 2016
  12. Krimstix Win User
    No. It shows the BBBBB-BB... one.

Krimstix, May 27, 2016
  13. Superfly Win User

Something's not right.... the -6F4BT is a retail key and should display as such if it is installed via slmgr /ipk

Superfly, May 27, 2016
  14. DooGie Win User
    Is there anywhere I can go to understand all the results of this command ?

Like a line by line explanation.

DooGie, May 27, 2016
  15. Krimstix Win User
    Krimstix, May 27, 2016
Thema:

1. Installing a Different Edition of Windows - Similar Threads - Installing Different Edition

2. difference Windows 10 Consumer and Business Editions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    difference Windows 10 Consumer and Business Editions: Hello,I'm looking to determine what is difference between Consumer and Business edition of the Windows 10 22H2 ISO on the Visual Studio Subscription downloads and keys page: I did not find the answer from a Micrsoft source any Microsoft page or third-party site. Don't send me...
  3. difference Windows 10 Consumer and Business Editions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    difference Windows 10 Consumer and Business Editions: Hello,I'm looking to determine what is difference between Consumer and Business edition of the Windows 10 22H2 ISO on the Visual Studio Subscription downloads and keys page: I did not find the answer from a Micrsoft source any Microsoft page or third-party site. Don't send me...
  4. difference Windows 10 Consumer and Business Editions

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Is there any difference in performance between windows home edition and windows pro edition ?!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there any difference in performance between windows home edition and windows pro edition ?!: Is there any difference in performance between windows home edition and windows pro edition ?! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-any-difference-in-performance-between/309d928f-8bb0-4d57-8851-f12d69543bbf
  6. Is there any difference in performance between windows home edition and windows pro edition ?!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there any difference in performance between windows home edition and windows pro edition ?!: Is there any difference in performance between windows home edition and windows pro edition ?! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-any-difference-in-performance-between/309d928f-8bb0-4d57-8851-f12d69543bbf
  7. Replace “3D Edit” With a Different App?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Replace “3D Edit” With a Different App?: I deleted paint and paint 3d. I use paint.net (and very occasionally gimp). Is there a way so that if I click 3d edit it opens the photo in paint.net? Thanks! submitted by /u/Aredditorandahalf [link] [comments]...
  8. Installing different Windows 10 edition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing different Windows 10 edition: I have Windows 10 Pro N installed on my computer, i have not activated it because i don't have a licence key and i want to install either the Home or Pro edition, but when i'm trying to reinstall with the Media Creation Tool it just wants to install the Pro N version again....
  9. Minecraft Windows 10 Edition on different devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minecraft Windows 10 Edition on different devices: I downloaded Minecraft Windows 10 Edition on my desktop and I am now trying to download it on a laptop. I've read that I need to just sign into the same Microsoft account on the store and it will automatically re-install, but it's just telling me to buy it again even though...
  10. Can I install windows with the same edition but difference language ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I install windows with the same edition but difference language ?: *Smile As the topic said above,Can I install windows 10 with the same edition but difference language ? 11632