Windows 10: Installing and Running BASH on Windows 10 (Build 14316)

Discus and support Installing and Running BASH on Windows 10 (Build 14316) in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; So I went ahead and installed BASH to see if it will be of any use to me as as Linux and Raspberry Pi enthusiast. It's very easy. First, make... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by badrobot, Apr 7, 2016.

1. badrobot Win User

Installing and Running BASH on Windows 10 (Build 14316)

So I went ahead and installed BASH to see if it will be of any use to me as as Linux and Raspberry Pi enthusiast.

It's very easy.

First, make sure that "Developer Mode" is enabled under Settings>>>Update & Security>>>For Developers

Installing and Running BASH on Windows 10 (Build 14316) [​IMG]

Then go to Turn Windows features on or off and find "Windows Subsystem for Linux (Beta)" and tick to enable it.

Restart your PC.

Now, to install BASH open a command prompt and type "bash" (w/o the quotation marks).

When you have BASH installed, there are 2 ways to open it. First is to open a command prompt and type "bash". And second, you can just go to the Start Menu and open "Bash on Ubuntu on Windows".

And it will open up this window...

That's it... you are ready to "sudo" away...

Now to test this feature the first thing I did was try to connect remotely to my Raspberry Pi (in the other room) a la SSH terminal window. Just type "ssh L: pi@xxx.xxx.x.xxx" where the X's correspond to your Pi's IP address. And presto! Goodbye PuTTY!

I mounted my NAS to the Pi and opened up "Media-On-Console" (MOC) on the Pi..

And now I can play my music from my NAS to the Raspberry Pi...

Or play my internet radio on the Pi remotely from my desktop PC.

These are just simple tasks just to test running BASH natively on Windows 10. *Thumbs

:)

badrobot, Apr 7, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Error installing Bash on Windows

BASH is not aupported on any retail version of Windows.

BASH is available on the most recent Insiders build - 14316. If you are a member of the Insiders and agree to receive Fast Ring builds, you will eventually receive 14316.

BulldogXX, Apr 7, 2016
  3. Abe W Win User
    Error installing Bash on Windows

I am in the insider build receiving the fast rings. I had the option to install, but it is was failing on the errors above.

Abe W, Apr 7, 2016
  4. caperjack Win User

Rebooting my win10 now to install latest updates to 14316
    edit -
    just checked it ,it must be a big update ,its installing part 1 of 3 ,first time I ever seen it do that I think

caperjack, Apr 7, 2016
  5. caperjack Win User
    when I run the Bash it tell me I need to be in developer mode ,but I can find any info on how to set it to that mode. any suggestions
    I have win10 pro insider ,build 14316 rs_1 release

caperjack, Apr 7, 2016
  6. badrobot Win User
    Settings>>>Update & Security >>> For Developers

badrobot, Apr 7, 2016
  7. badrobot Win User
    I am trying to find out if Media-On-Console will work on Windows. I installed MOC but I got a fatal error saying no valid sound driver. Now, I will try to install alsa-utils for audio...

badrobot, Apr 7, 2016
  8. caperjack Win User

thanks ,I actually just found it ...been there a dozen time before ,brain dead

caperjack, Apr 7, 2016
  9. caperjack Win User
    interesting ,I will be watching with interest ,,all new to me ,as is everything

caperjack, Apr 7, 2016
  10. caperjack Win User
    could not get in, will not take my password, says incorrect, but its not it get me into the Pi, I will try some wore when I get home from work

caperjack, Apr 7, 2016
  11. BunnyJ New Member
    Thanks for the instructions. Very useful!

BunnyJ, Apr 7, 2016
  12. badrobot Win User
    Thanks. I added one step which is enabling "Developer Mode" first.

badrobot, Apr 7, 2016
  13. BunnyJ New Member

I'll check that out later today.

Again.. thanks for the great thread!

Jeff

BunnyJ, Apr 7, 2016
  14. davidhk Win User
    Remember in the past we saw a big semi circle and a % in the center, under that they were 3 "categories " ? (see screenshot below).

I think the "part 1 of 3 parts" are exactly that.
    A new way to show the % of installation progress, I suppose.

davidhk, Apr 7, 2016
  15. caperjack Win User
    you are likely right about that ,makes sense

caperjack, Apr 7, 2016
Thema:

1. Installing and Running BASH on Windows 10 (Build 14316) - Similar Threads - Installing Running BASH

2. Trying to install Bash on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trying to install Bash on Windows 10: This is the up to date Windows 10. I got as far with the BASH installation as clicking on the Bash icon waiting to be asked if I want to install Ubuntu. A black window appears and promptly vanishes before doing anything useful. Help! Thankyou peter...
  3. Installing Ubuntu bash on Windows 10 anniversary update

Installing Ubuntu bash on Windows 10 anniversary update: I have a Windows 10 laptop which has the Anniversary update.I want to install the Ubuntu bash on it.I am on metered connection so I don't wanna upgrade from Anniversary update to fall creator update right now.I saw many sites that i need to turn on devloper mode in update...
  4. Installing Ubuntu bash on Windows 10 anniversary update

Installing Ubuntu bash on Windows 10 anniversary update: I have a Windows 10 laptop which has the Anniversary update.I want to install the Ubuntu bash on it.I am on metered connection so I don't wanna upgrade from Anniversary update to fall creator update right now.I saw many sites that i need to turn on devloper mode in update...
  5. Card reader problem with build 14316

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Card reader problem with build 14316: Since this update my card reader caused me considerable grief, 15-20 mins to boot. This was a card powered by a PCI card. Removing the PCI card and card reader solved the problem. So I bought a reader that plugged into a USB 2 header on my motherboard, but this does not work...
  6. UWP app icons in Windows 10 build 14316 are corrupt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UWP app icons in Windows 10 build 14316 are corrupt: Pic: Screenshot - e3291153f0df01ad3d2174770a3e7379 - Gyazo As you can see, the Win32 app icons are completely fine, but all of the UWP app icons are corrupted. They almost appear as if they're running in some sort of safe mode. Any suggestions? 47775
  7. Failed update to 14316

Failed update to 14316: Windows 10 Insider Preview 14316 - Error 0x80240031 Is there a way of clearing this error so I can try to download the update again.... *Mad 46650
  8. Problems With Sleep With New Build 14316

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems With Sleep With New Build 14316: Hello All, I never had problems before with this computer and testing different preview builds, but this new one has really given me some sleep issues. The computer does not automatically go to sleep so I have to manually make it go to sleep. That is just one issue and not...
  9. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14316

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14316: Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date[/quote] Hi everyone, Today we are releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14316 to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring. At Build 2016 last week, we shared new experiences and new opportunities we’re creating for developers...
  10. Microsoft set to announce bash on Linux running on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft set to announce bash on Linux running on Windows 10: Microsoft’s Build 2016 developer conference starts tomorrow, March 30, 2016, and some details on Build events are already starting to leak out on Twitter. Specifically, Microsoft plans to show Bash running on Ubuntu Linux on Windows 10 during Build 2016. Originally, Tero...