Windows 10: Installing W 10 on a Win 8.1 computer

Discus and support Installing W 10 on a Win 8.1 computer in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I missed the chance to upgrade this computer during the free upgrade offer but did do on two other computers. I would like to do so now. How do I go... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JJG10, Jan 31, 2017.

1. JJG10 Win User

Installing W 10 on a Win 8.1 computer

I missed the chance to upgrade this computer during the free upgrade offer but did do on two other computers. I would like to do so now.

How do I go about that. Do I need to download the iso? If I burn it to a DVD will it boot to the DVD to do the install or do I have something in addition to do the install?

Will really appreciate a step by step explanation of the process.

Thank you.

:)

JJG10, Jan 31, 2017

2. Lost win 10

I upgraded my HP Desktop from win 8.1 to win 10 some time ago but just today needed to "Reset" my win S/W and win 8.1 was installed. How do I get win 10 back?

WilliamRoss2000, Jan 31, 2017
  3. Dnloading Win 10, error 80072EE2

I agreed to download & install Win 10 on my computer (win 8.1). The dnload started & went OK (but slow) up to 12% complete & then delivered the above error code w/ the message that "windows 10 couldn't be installed". What's the error code mean ?....
    2-- why did it try to do the install before being fully dnloaded?........ & 3--what do I do to complete the changeover..... & should I stay w/ Win8.1 or go to Apple ??

TomSoJersey, Jan 31, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Download the ISO file:
    Windows 10 ISO Download

(I prefer option 1 above)

Right click on the ISO file, select Mount.
    Run setup.exe in the virtual DVD drive letter that opens.

Then you can either delete the ISO file or make a bootable USB flash drive or a DVD from the ISO file for future use.

NavyLCDR, Jan 31, 2017
  5. JJG10 Win User
    Thank you very much NavyLCDR.

JJG10, Jan 31, 2017
  6. Steve C Win User
    I hope it activates since the free update offer period is over. However, some people report the free upgrade still works. There are threads on the forum about using the assistive technologies upgrade route if you think you can justify that route.

Steve C, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Installing W 10 on a Win 8.1 computer - Similar Threads - Installing computer

2. error 216 0xd8:windows could not start the windows installer service on local computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    error 216 0xd8:windows could not start the windows installer service on local computer?: I'm trying to download some softwares but it keeps showing up that error, it seems my windows installer is also not running and I can't attempt to put it to automatic...
  3. error 216 0xd8:windows could not start the windows installer service on local computer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    error 216 0xd8:windows could not start the windows installer service on local computer?: I'm trying to download some softwares but it keeps showing up that error, it seems my windows installer is also not running and I can't attempt to put it to automatic...
  4. error 216 0xd8:windows could not start the windows installer service on local computer?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. My computer wouldn't install updates and I tried to manually add room to the partition and...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My computer wouldn't install updates and I tried to manually add room to the partition and...: Using reagentc and diskpart to manually expand the update memory resulted in the D drive to be a recovery only drive. I would like to put it back to a boot drive and need help please....
  6. My computer wouldn't install updates and I tried to manually add room to the partition and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer wouldn't install updates and I tried to manually add room to the partition and...: Using reagentc and diskpart to manually expand the update memory resulted in the D drive to be a recovery only drive. I would like to put it back to a boot drive and need help please....
  7. My computer wouldn't install updates and I tried to manually add room to the partition and...

8. How to activate QB 2017 installed on windows 10 desktop computer? I have already entered...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to activate QB 2017 installed on windows 10 desktop computer? I have already entered...: It does not show the screen for entering the activation code. Any suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-activate-qb-2017-installed-on-windows-10/cfc08d8c-336e-4908-8514-3fb1d33bf347
  9. How to activate QB 2017 installed on windows 10 desktop computer? I have already entered...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to activate QB 2017 installed on windows 10 desktop computer? I have already entered...: It does not show the screen for entering the activation code. Any suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-activate-qb-2017-installed-on-windows-10/cfc08d8c-336e-4908-8514-3fb1d33bf347
  10. How to activate QB 2017 installed on windows 10 desktop computer? I have already entered...