Windows 10: Installing Win10 Pro from USB

Discus and support Installing Win10 Pro from USB in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi Have another issue with upgrading OS on new laptop that has Win10 Home. I am going to double check that I have indeed burned the correct iso but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kevvyb, Jan 13, 2017.

1. kevvyb Win User

Installing Win10 Pro from USB

Hi Have another issue with upgrading OS on new laptop that has Win10 Home.

I am going to double check that I have indeed burned the correct iso but I think I have.

The laptop goes through the install routine from the USB but still shows windows home as activated rather than an inactivated copy of Win Pro.

NOTE: the win10 installation on the machine where I created the iso has a digital licence created from a Win7 Pro x64 RETAIL licence.

Am I missing something?

The other thing I can think of is that the automated selection of the correct iso (I created it on a machine that had win10 pro x64 installed) has not worked and somehow the iso is for win 10 home? How can I force the creation of the files I need?

:)

kevvyb, Jan 13, 2017
  2. scatman# Win User

Windows 10 home to Windows 10 pro to clean install of Windows 10 pro

Hello, all.

This PC came with Win10 Home. I bought the Win10 pro upgrade for $99 from the Windows store, and install it. At that point Win10 pro was installed and activated.

How do I now do a clean install of this Win10 pro (from Win10 home) upgrade?

Thanks.

(P.S. I tried a clean install from a Win10 pro iso. usb, but after this install the PC showed Win10 home again)

scatman#, Jan 13, 2017
  3. Media Creation tool failure Windows 10

I have tried several times on two different laptops to create a bootable Win10 USB OS install drive. Every time it fails after downloading and about 85% of the last stage of verifying. I have tried this from an ASUS laptop running win10 and an Apple MacBook
    Pro win10 pro bootcamp partition at least 4 times each. I want to install Win10 Pro on Intel NUC i5s.

I get the error "there was a problem running this tool" with a useless error ending in "error code: 0x80042405 - 0xA001A"

Larry Seibold, Jan 13, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

ISO's will install either Pro or Home. Which is installed depends on the license initially applied to the PC you're installing it on.

Your new laptop has Win 10 Home installed, thus unless you buy a license for Pro, it will remain the home edition, that is the digital entitlement registered for it.

That you created the iso on a Win 10 Pro machine will not help you somehow upgrade the Home machine's license.

Some info on licenses etc:
    Microsoft Account - Link to Digital License on Windows 10 PC
    HOW do I transfer windows (retail license) after upgrading to Windows
    Transferring license to new computer

dalchina, Jan 13, 2017
  5. kevvyb Win User
    Moving Win10 (upgrade Win7 Full Retail Licence) to another PC

How do get to here then as advised in another thread...!? I was expecting that if I followed the advice in this thread the new laptop would not be installed with Win10Pro on which I just needed to transfer the licence from my old laptop in order to activate. Might just be that this is actually still the case but it's just about how windows shows it until that is done. I was expecting to have to deactivate licence on old laptop but not to have to do so, before transferring old licence, on the new one.

kevvyb, Jan 13, 2017
  6. Cliff S New Member
    Um, to go from Home to pro, you do not need to do a clean install. You just need to follow this tutorial: Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro

Windows 10 Home, already has Pro elements "installed". You just need a key for Pro to turn them on.
    I have already done it on 4 systems.

Cliff S, Jan 13, 2017
  7. enigma101 Win User
    Ditto.....done this a few times myself

enigma101, Jan 16, 2017
  8. kevvyb Win User

I think the confusion, in my mind, was talk of an upgrade. In my mind I have already upgraded and now have a win10 pro licence.

It would appear that I have a win10 pro licence on the current machine which is tied to that machine which dies on that machine when I transfer the Pro Licence to the new machine? Leaving what on the old machine? ....I suspect nothing as that machine is then without a licence. But it would seem that the win10 installation can remain inactivated for a new user?

So on the new machine which has a win10 home licence tied to it, I upgrade that again by transferring my current win10 Pro (RETAIL) licence to the new machine.

The process is one of upgrade by transfer rather than just a transfer or just an upgrade.

I have always done a clean install on any new laptop in the past. Probably less need to do that these days depending on what make is bought. However, this is the third strand in my clean install, upgrade , transfer process.

kevvyb, Jan 16, 2017
  9. enigma101 Win User
    I might be wrong but i don't think you can transfer the licence from one machine to another. However, OEM Pro keys are very cheap on eBay. I purchased one recently & just entered it in the 'enter new product key' field & it did the upgrade on it's own. It took a while as it was an underspecced tablet. This tablet now has a 'Pro Digital License'.

Doing it this way with an OEM key i've found this is not true: ''OEM product keys will not be accepted. It must be a retail key''.

Feel free to comment if you experience otherwise.......

enigma101, Jan 16, 2017
  10. pparks1 Win User
    You cannot transfer OEM licenses from a prebuilt computer to another.

A retail license can be moved, but it has to be removed from the first computer first and then installed on the second.

A purchased OEM license can sometimes cause trouble if the pc is upgraded enough. Usually, you just have to phone microsoft to get that squared away. It's usually an easy change.

pparks1, Jan 16, 2017
  11. kevvyb Win User
    Hi

From this thread: Moving Win10 (upgrade Win7 Full Retail Licence) to another PC

RETAIL licence only not OEM.

kevvyb, Jan 16, 2017
  12. kevvyb Win User
    See following quote from cereberus... "...and then delete Windows from old PC." But will see how it goes.

kevvyb, Jan 16, 2017
  13. Cliff S New Member

To uninstall the Pro retail key from the first PC, so it will revert back to Home, open up an admin command prompt and paste slmgr /upk

Cliff S, Jan 16, 2017
  14. enigma101 Win User
    So you can transfer a Win 10 license from a Win 7 retail original operating system? Ok now i have learned something today. Does not apply to any of my systems but i can always do with more knowledge *Wink

enigma101, Jan 16, 2017
  15. kevvyb Win User
    Hi I would put it this way from what I have learned:
    If you have a windows 7 (or presumably, 8 or 8.1) RETAIL channel licence (i.e. you had the discs and were previously able to install on new machines as you needed - uninstalling any others so that there was only one copy in use) then yes.

I had upgraded my old Win7 pro licence to Win10 Pro using the free upgrade offer from MS last year.

Now I want to use win10 pro on the new machine (which comes with Win10 Home) but I only have a digital win10 pro licence on the old machine (plus my old Win7 Pro licence).

The digital licence to win10 pro can apparently be 'transferred' to the new machine. I haven't done this yet but I am told this is effected by using a MSA (Microsoft account) and being logged into that account on both machines.

You then use the activation troubleshooter to select the licence on the old machine or alternatively performing a plain upgrade on the new machine and either entering the original win7 pro key or calling MS to activate over the telephone.

We'll see if it works. I'll post back.

kevvyb, Jan 16, 2017
Thema:

1. Installing Win10 Pro from USB - Similar Threads - Installing Win10 Pro

2. Installation Media USB for Win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installation Media USB for Win10: Asking for a driver when I started the Installation from USB. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installation-media-usb-for-win10/84f52577-3cba-4f3f-a84f-c6385ae12fa3
  3. Installing Win10 from a Bootable USB Made on a Mac

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing Win10 from a Bootable USB Made on a Mac: Hello! I’m a pretty tech savvy person, which is why I decided to take on this task. I’m primarily a Mac user (I’m a graphic designer) but can work cross-platform (my day job keeps me on a machine running Win7 and I use a VM on that computer for a system running what looks...
  4. Trying to create Win10 Pro from USB

Trying to create Win10 Pro from USB: Hi everyone. I know this process for long time and everytime been a same. For this time I readed again step by step how to create Windows installation media. Using original tool from Windows sites and by tutorial there in tool should be choice between versions of Windows...
  5. Help, win10 installer won't boot from usb

Help, win10 installer won't boot from usb: Trying to boot a win 10 ver. 2004 (may 2020) installer from a USB and even tried booting from a DVD. It gets stuck before the installer opens, just a frozen screen with either the motherboard logo or the blue windows logo. Motherboard is Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H ver. 2.0 I have...
  6. Win10 USB Install error?

Win10 USB Install error?: Today I was helping a relative to install his new OS to a newer SSD and then throw his old harddrive out after a clean wipe. We got all new hardwareLiterally everything has been replaced. While waiting for his new OS to come ina week later. We used his old HDD and install of...
  7. Installing Win10 from USB while Win10 already installed?

Installing Win10 from USB while Win10 already installed?: I reformatted my brand new laptop using an old version of Win10 I had on a USB. However after doing this I ran into an issue with Windows updates not working. After some searching I found that I needed a newer build of the Win10 bootable USB. I ran the Win10 installer from...
  8. Unable to install Win10 from Usb device (fixed)

Unable to install Win10 from Usb device (fixed): I recently bought a preloaded Windows 10 USB drive from Walmart, and plugged it into my new computer, and It boots, but won't install. I get to the part where you need to select the driver to install. When i opened "browse", and click the USB that Windows is on, I get an...
  9. Install win10 pro on separate drive from win7 pro

Install win10 pro on separate drive from win7 pro: I have a Dell workstation (xeon mpu) with dual 1 TB HDDs... Win 7 pro is installed on one drive, and the other is blank, newly formated... I want to be able to boot off either drive... the win 7 HDD, or off the Win 10 HDD. I realize I may have to deal with BIOS boot sequence...
  10. Could not complete Win10 installation from USB

Could not complete Win10 installation from USB: I just bought and built a new computer, and a friend gave me a SSD to put the OS on. I got a free product key for Windows 10 Educational from my college, and I ran the 'MediaCreationToolRetail.exe', which the college had me download, on my laptop. Upon running it, I was able...