Windows 10: Intel Issues Updates to Protect Systems from Security Exploits

Discus and support Intel Issues Updates to Protect Systems from Security Exploits in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Intel and Its Partners Have Made Significant Progress in Deploying Updates as Software Patches and Firmware Updates SANTA CLARA, Calif., Jan. 4,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Intel Issues Updates to Protect Systems from Security Exploits

Source: https://newsroom.intel.com/news-rele...rity-exploits/

Reference: Kernel memory leaking Intel processor design flaw - Windows 10 Forums

See also: Download Intel-SA-00086 Detection Tool

:)

Brink, Jan 3, 2018
  2. Rohn007 Win User
    Rohn007, Jan 3, 2018
  3. GreginMich, Jan 3, 2018
  4. Geneo Win User

what does this mean:

"Intel has already issued updates for the majority of processor products introduced within the past five years. By the end of next week, Intel expects to have issued updates for more than 90 percent of processor products introduced within the past five years."

I haven't seen any updates by Intel (only Microsoft)

Geneo, Jan 4, 2018
  5. Could it be that those intel patches are included in the Cumulative Updates being pushed out by MS?

So many unanswered questions and doubt here.

I wonder how many AMD chips are affected, it seems like less of them might be. In a way I wish AMD was still independent of Intel, I'd love to see some real competition in the processor market.

legacy7955, Jan 4, 2018
  6. I don’t like the references to ‘firmware’ updates. Software is all well and good but I suspect the updates from intel could relate to firmwares. Intel working with motherboard manufacturers would be a possible scenario. Am not particularly clued up but I believe microcode fixes to processors can sometimes be applied via BIOS revisions. Thus implying they expect people to start messing around with updating the motherboard BIOS. If this is a recommended step then I’d say 99.9% would not do this as people generally aren’t aware of this aspect and also it’s pretty risky. It really is the sort of thing you don’t want to mess with if everything’s working as it can screw up. I hope it’s not the case and that all we need to worry about is allowing windows update to do it’s job.

Scottyboy99, Jan 4, 2018
  7. Superfly Win User
    Superfly, Jan 4, 2018
  8. Geneo Win User

Processor microcode can, and is, also updated by Windows Update. It gets loaded into the processor early in the boot stage, For something as important as these vulnerabilities, I am confident Microsoft/Intel would update it through Windows update.

Geneo, Jan 4, 2018
  9. Steve C Win User
    I think we need clarity from official sources. Has the WU fix solved the problem or do we also need updates from the PC supplier or motherboard supplier. I might have a long wait in the latter case since I have a Gigabyte motherboard.

Steve C, Jan 4, 2018
  10. Superfly Win User
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...erabilities-in

It's a 3-prong approach...
    NB: WU cannot determine the model of the firmware to update thus must be done via the OEM's.

Superfly, Jan 4, 2018
  11. Steve C Win User
    Steve C, Jan 4, 2018
  12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I suspect if ordinary users try applying BIOS updates there will be an awful lot of "Bricked" computers out there.
    I'm sure if this type of problem was in any way problematic to a significant number of individual users updates would have been released already.

professional / serious hackers know about this stuff already and would surely have exploited it if worth doing. I don't see how companies the size of Intel could possibly keep this type of stuff under wraps -- companies of that size invariably have some "leakers" - inevitable.

I'm not really sure whether this is essentially Fake News during a quiet period of the year, a sales pitch by some AV companies who must be feeling the pinch as Ms's own built in security improves or Intel to get people ready to go out and buy computers with brand new processors in them.

In any case I don't have anything on my Windows machines that anybody would find either interesting or the slightest bit of use -- they certainly couldn't make any money out of it. !!! - I never use Windows for things like online banking or online shopping (e.g Amazon) - if I do then it's on Linux machines which are much better protected and never keep passwords on the machines in these "remember password" programs -- those types of programs should be OUTLAWED IMO - maybe convenient but a huge security flaw.

If you MUST use those types of things ensure the password stuff is on a different machine on your network and NOT connected to the internet in any way and even on the network has limited access - you can create a small Virtual machine for this purpose, recover your password and then power off the VM. This VM in my case is on an external HDD (SSD actually) which is then removed after powering off the VM so a hacker wouldn't be able even to see it.

I'll just wait and see what's next anyway and probably be quietly amused.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 4, 2018
  13. Intel Issues Updates to Protect Systems from Security Exploits

I think I’ll take my chances with the BIOS my pc was shipped with (Asus pro gamer 170 motherboard or something like that). I wouldn’t even know exactly the model to go for, since the machine functions, boots etc I won’t risk it. Hopefully as mentioned windows update will do its job. Like Jimbo, there’s little of interest in my machine!

Scottyboy99, Jan 4, 2018
  14. essenbe Win User
    essenbe, Jan 4, 2018
  15. stormy13 Win User
    Just curious what that is supposed to mean.

stormy13, Jan 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Intel Issues Updates to Protect Systems from Security Exploits - Similar Threads - Intel Issues Updates

2. Windows 11 Security App's Exploit Protection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Security App's Exploit Protection: I have a question about something I'm seeing on my mom's new PC. I'm just going through the normal setup process to make sure the PC is protected and ready for her but I'm not familiar with windows 11 or the Windows Security application. I see there's an exploit protection...
  3. Windows 11 Security App's Exploit Protection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Security App's Exploit Protection: I have a question about something I'm seeing on my mom's new PC. I'm just going through the normal setup process to make sure the PC is protected and ready for her but I'm not familiar with windows 11 or the Windows Security application. I see there's an exploit protection...
  4. Question related to Exploit Protection in Windows Security

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Question related to Exploit Protection in Windows Security: Hello, ive got a question here i checked in Exploit Protection in Windows Security that there is this Systemsettings.exe, PresentationHost.exe and other programs or applications there what happens if i remove the PresentationHost.exe i already done that and i checked in...
  5. Exploit Protect/System Settings

Exploit Protect/System Settings: Hey there!I just have a simple question to ask, nothing too technical.I was just wondering for the sake of knowledge and education,what is the difference between, "Use default On" vs "On by default" in the exploit protection settings?If you can explain, can you do so in...
  6. Windows Security Exploit Protection settings

Windows Security Exploit Protection settings: Dear all In Windows Security > App- and browser control > Exploit Protection > Program settings There is a list of .exe files and you can add more prorgrams 1. What are those .exe files on the list? What does this list do? 2. Under some of the .exe files, it says "1 detention...
  7. System Security Protection

System Security Protection: My Windows 10 Surface Pro 6 has started requiring admin passwords for any change to programs. This is new to me. It just started today. When prompted I enter the Windows login password I use when I start up in the morning. That password does no work. I try Microsoft account...
  8. Is This Normal? Exploit Protection.

Is This Normal? Exploit Protection.: Earlier this week I noticed strange activity on my network and my personal laptop, particularly. I am running Windows 10 Home Version: 2004 OS Build 19041.572 I stumbled upon the Exploit Protection settings accidentally. Everything was turned off. As in, every app, every...
  9. Exploit Protection Intune Configuration Issues with Skype

Exploit Protection Intune Configuration Issues with Skype: Hello, I have an issue with Exploit Protection configuration with Intune and Microsoft Advanced Threat Protection ATP as it is closing out our users Skype application. The reason it closes is because of the way our Skype call recorder is integrated into Skype. In the ATP...
  10. Exploit protection settings

Exploit protection settings: 1. I do not understand the "System settings" options under EXPLOIT PROTECTION in Windows Defender set up section. What does "Use default on vs. "On by default mean? What is the safest? 2, What is SEHOP? What is "heap integrity" What is "High-entropy ASLR...