Windows 10: Intermittent Startup Sound

Discus and support Intermittent Startup Sound in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I start my computer, sometimes the Startup Sound plays & sometimes it doesn't. There's no difference in the way I shut down the computer each... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by CJW, Jan 8, 2018.

1. CJW
    CJW Win User

Intermittent Startup Sound

When I start my computer, sometimes the Startup Sound plays & sometimes it doesn't. There's no difference in the way I shut down the computer each time, 'Play Windows Startup Sound' in my Sound Schemes has always been checked; this is just baffling to me as to why the sound plays so intermittently.

10 pro x64 has given me more headaches that any other Windows version I have used.
    I have realized that in the same amount of time I've had it installed, I have used 10 less than I have used any other version I've had installed in the past (3.0, 3.1, 95, 98, 98SE, XP, XP Pro x64 & 7 Pro x64).

:)

2. Intermittent sound! Windows 10.

OK, the "msconfig" would not show, but from Taskbar, to Task Manager, to Startup. There selected all six items there and intermittent sound was gone. Had to play a bit, many restarts, but finally found the problem, it was Intel 3.0 USB Monitor. So far so
    good I hope the problem is solved.

Thank you to Giridhar J.

MauBalPUTAQUEPARIL, Jan 8, 2018
  3. NeilTC Win User
    No sound after Windows 2010

Installed windows 10 and now get intermittent sound, all the settings check out but nothing in the way of sound, any ideas?

NeilTC, Jan 8, 2018
  4. pepanee Win User

Try this:
    Open Sound, uncheck "Play Windows Startup sound", press Apply, press OK. Restart your computer. After the computer starts up, re-check "Play Windows Startup sound", press Apply, press OK. Shut down the computer. Turn on the computer. If the sound plays, then Shut down the computer again, turn on the computer, etc for a few more times. If it keeps playing after each restart, then hopefully that solved it. If not, then post back here and let's see what we can do next.

pepanee, Jan 8, 2018
  5. CJW
    CJW Win User
    Pepanee:
    I gave your suggestion a try a few times both last night & earlier today. Didn't make a difference.

I did change my Startup Sound (using Brinks Manual instructions) when I 1st installed 10. What is strange is that when I checked earlier today, the C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll file plays the Windows default sound, but if I copy the imageres.dll file to my desktop & test it, my customized sound (Star Wars Cantina) does play.

6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jan 9, 2018
  7. BKnight Win User
    I noticed that after the Fall Creator's Update that the Windows startup sound will not play after a cold boot. It will play after a Restart.

EDIT: After disabling the Fast Startup option in the Power Plan settings the Windows startup sound now plays after a cold boot. I remember disabling it long ago. The FCU apparently re-enabled it.

BKnight, Jan 9, 2018
  8. CJW
    CJW Win User

9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. I'm glad it could help. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Intermittent Startup Sound - Similar Threads - Intermittent Startup Sound

2. Intermittent Sound Problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Intermittent Sound Problem: I'm running W10 V.20H2, OS Build 19042.985:Every now and then my sound just completely quits. It will come back on when it gets ready, restarting does not work. It always quits when it's not being used. For example, when you first start it up in the morning, it won't work....
  3. Startup Sounds

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Startup Sounds: How do I change startup sounds? I've edited the Regedit file, I've turned off fast startup, ticked the box labeled "play windows startup sounds", and changed the default sound to my own sound, but it still plays the basic windows 7 startup sound. submitted by /u/zaanirk06...
  4. startup sound

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    startup sound: Heya MS community, I am having some trouble after installing windows 10. I am getting the same startup sound as it was in my previous version of windowswindows 7 professional. I have also removed the previous version of windows from my pc. Please tell me how should I...
  5. intermittent sound recording

intermittent sound recording: Hi, I have been recording music videos on my Dell laptop using the inbuilt camera and a snowball microphone with no problems. Yesterday I recorded a track, then listened to it and recorded a second track, but when I tried to edit them together I discovered the second...
  6. intermittent buzz in sound is back

intermittent buzz in sound is back: The intermittent buzz in the sound is on a Gateway laptop model NV570P-18U, OS Win 10 Home 64 bit. This problem only shows up when watching Youtube videos. There is no buzz on any other web page. I got ride of the Youtube buzz by updatting the Gateway's sound drivers. It...
  7. Intermittent Sound Problems

Intermittent Sound Problems: After the latest Windows 10 update, I am finding that I have an INTERMITTENT sound problem. I have tried all the recommended troubleshooting methods given on the Community but none of these have worked for me. However, if I do a Restart, the sound returns for that session...
  8. Sound cuts out intermittently

Sound cuts out intermittently: Hi, Since installing Windows 10, the sound will cut out every so often, usually while watching a video on YouTube or I've downloaded. If I reboot the sound works. I notice that I can't left click on the the task bar when this happens. To reboot I need to right click on the...
  9. Intermittent freeze on startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Intermittent freeze on startup: I have had this issue since I bought the machine a year ago. It has occurred intermittently from the very first fresh install of Windows 10 (without connecting to the internet), so almost certain it's not due to malware but more likely a driver/hardware issue. 4/5 times...
  10. Intermittent failure to run startup programs

in Windows 10 Support
    Intermittent failure to run startup programs: Apologies if this is posted elsewhere. but I haven't been able to find anything recent about it..... I'm running build 9926 and I find that, intermittently, no startup programs (i.e. programs registered under registry "Run" keys - both HKLM and HKCU - or in Start...