Windows 10: Is it harmful to change ownership of a file?

Discus and support Is it harmful to change ownership of a file? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I have a question regarding taking ownership of an executable that is in the WindowsApps folder in Program Files. I want to take ownership of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JohnnyGui, Apr 13, 2017.

1. JohnnyGui Win User

Is it harmful to change ownership of a file?

Hello,

I have a question regarding taking ownership of an executable that is in the WindowsApps folder in Program Files. I want to take ownership of it so I can make it launch at startup every time I boot up Windows. That's because for some reason, putting a shortcut of the executable in the Startup folder of Windows doesn't launch it at boot.

The current ownership of that executable is TrustedInstaller but I want to change that to myself. I am wondering however if this would lead to any problems or errors regarding automatic processes that Windows uses for that executable. Or if it would lead to problems if I want to uninstall or reinstall the app.

:)

JohnnyGui, Apr 13, 2017

2. forgot my pincode-2 in my nokia c7 and more serveral prblm

you will have to contact the seller, i am not sure that Nokia Care will reset the code for you as you need proof of ownership for the device. no harm in trying though.

adrianhughesNSD, Apr 13, 2017
  3. no access to a file unable to change ownership at all.

My game installation is unable to proceed at there cannot create a file that alr exist. And it was this exact file

Wen WeiLee, Apr 13, 2017
  4. tcebob Win User

tcebob, Apr 14, 2017
  5. lehnerus2000, Apr 14, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    I'd agree. Try anything but taking ownership, the consequences are unpredictable.

If you can find no other way, then as a last resort take ownership just long enough to add your user account to the permissions. Then give ownership back to TrustedInstaller straight away. The name you'll need to type in the 'Change owner' dialog is: NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller

7. When I was testing the W7 Betas, I removed "TrustedInstaller" and then I couldn't restore it.
    Installing a new copy of W7 didn't take long in those days.

These days I wouldn't think of removing "TrustedInstaller", without creating a backup image of my OS.

lehnerus2000, Apr 14, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

Well, I did say it was only to be tried as a last resort (if at all) *Smile

Restoring ownership to TrustedInstaller is only possible if you use its full name. The 'NT SERVICE' bit is essential, else 'check names' says it can't be found.

9. At the time, I wasn't aware of that issue.
    I only found out about that "trick" a couple of years ago. *Smile

Even though I know the trick now, (IMO) it would still be prudent to create a backup image (just in case).

lehnerus2000, Apr 15, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    IMO too. In fact it's a prudent safeguard even if you're not planning on hacking your system. It's part of my monthly routine, make an image before each cumulative update, and keep the previous images for as long as I have space to do so (I think I still have one for 10240, I certainly have the one for the OEM Win7 this system started with).

11. JohnnyGui Win User
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'm amazed taking ownership just to make it launch at startup can have bad consequences like that.

If I give it back to TrustedInstaller again, do I still have permission to launch the app at startup?

JohnnyGui, Apr 25, 2017
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 25, 2017
  13. JohnnyGui Win User

Hey Brink! *Smile Thanks a lot for the link. I take it that it also can be used for launching exes from WindowsApps folder?

I'll be giving this a try.

JohnnyGui, Apr 25, 2017
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Is it harmful to change ownership of a file? - Similar Threads - harmful change ownership

2. Taking ownership of a file as the administrator

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Taking ownership of a file as the administrator: I am moving files from my old computer to my new computer and Adobe files will not copy. They need administrator permission. Currently the only person allowed on the new computer is the administrator. What to I have to do to change the ownership in Properties>Security?...
  3. Does renaming a file/directory change it's ownership?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Does renaming a file/directory change it's ownership?: I have been looking for the answer to this basic question and have been stumped. So does renaming a file/directory change a file/directories ownership? Assumption is that it one has to be the file /directory owner to rename a file/directory so it would not. Is this...
  4. How to change Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Many a time, you need to change ownership of a file or folder to another user. There can be many reasons to do that — transferring files to another user, an old account is removed, and all files should be [...] This post How to change Ownership of a File or...
  5. Taking ownership of a file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taking ownership of a file: Some time ago a had file that required only one click to take ownership of another file. I would just right click on the file I was interested in and select "take ownership." It would then make a change in the registry and give me addess to that file. Does anyone here know...
  6. Take Ownership folders and files

in Windows 10 Support
    Take Ownership folders and files: Since I got the update for Windows 10 for 1809 version I need to take ownership for many folders and files I want to use. I could some help for this. I know there used to be some software that would do this for you. Does anyone know what software that would be and where to...
  7. Coping files and ownership

in Windows 10 Support
    Coping files and ownership: I created a partition on a USB and copied files to it. I took the USB to another PC that I use as backup and plugged the USB in and created a share for the partition. I thing tried using both Xcopy and Robocopy to copy files from the original PC to the back up and kept...
  8. Impossible to change permissions or take ownership over file.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Impossible to change permissions or take ownership over file.: Windows 10 64-bit I have a file that AVG Antivirus Free has detected as a Trojan-gen with the name "DBcHMDC" this file is located in the "C:\ProgramData" folder. When i ask AVG to solve the issue, it isn't able to do anything. So i went to check on the file myself, it turns...
  9. changing the ownership of a laptop

changing the ownership of a laptop: I got a laptop from my dad with his passwords and his Microsoft account, I want to change it to mine. how can I do that? and here,re the device info: Edition Windows 10 CoreSingleLanguage Version 1803 OS Build 10.0.17134.285 Serial No. CND4256F40 Processor Intel(R)...
  10. These files might be harmful to your computer

These files might be harmful to your computer: I transferred some of my files from my phone to my hard drive, but once I sorted and transferred those files to the folders a warning always shows up. No virus or anything on my Windows 10 laptop and this warning is already grating on my nerves. What can I do about it? Thanks...