Windows 10: Is it harmful to change ownership of a file?

Discus and support Is it harmful to change ownership of a file? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I have a question regarding taking ownership of an executable that is in the WindowsApps folder in Program Files. I want to take ownership of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JohnnyGui, Apr 13, 2017.

1. JohnnyGui Win User

Is it harmful to change ownership of a file?

Hello,

I have a question regarding taking ownership of an executable that is in the WindowsApps folder in Program Files. I want to take ownership of it so I can make it launch at startup every time I boot up Windows. That's because for some reason, putting a shortcut of the executable in the Startup folder of Windows doesn't launch it at boot.

The current ownership of that executable is TrustedInstaller but I want to change that to myself. I am wondering however if this would lead to any problems or errors regarding automatic processes that Windows uses for that executable. Or if it would lead to problems if I want to uninstall or reinstall the app.

:)

JohnnyGui, Apr 13, 2017

2. forgot my pincode-2 in my nokia c7 and more serveral prblm

you will have to contact the seller, i am not sure that Nokia Care will reset the code for you as you need proof of ownership for the device. no harm in trying though.

adrianhughesNSD, Apr 13, 2017
  3. no access to a file unable to change ownership at all.

My game installation is unable to proceed at there cannot create a file that alr exist. And it was this exact file

Wen WeiLee, Apr 13, 2017
  4. tcebob Win User

tcebob, Apr 14, 2017
  5. lehnerus2000, Apr 14, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    I'd agree. Try anything but taking ownership, the consequences are unpredictable.

If you can find no other way, then as a last resort take ownership just long enough to add your user account to the permissions. Then give ownership back to TrustedInstaller straight away. The name you'll need to type in the 'Change owner' dialog is: NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller

7. When I was testing the W7 Betas, I removed "TrustedInstaller" and then I couldn't restore it.
    Installing a new copy of W7 didn't take long in those days.

These days I wouldn't think of removing "TrustedInstaller", without creating a backup image of my OS.

lehnerus2000, Apr 14, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

Well, I did say it was only to be tried as a last resort (if at all) *Smile

Restoring ownership to TrustedInstaller is only possible if you use its full name. The 'NT SERVICE' bit is essential, else 'check names' says it can't be found.

9. At the time, I wasn't aware of that issue.
    I only found out about that "trick" a couple of years ago. *Smile

Even though I know the trick now, (IMO) it would still be prudent to create a backup image (just in case).

lehnerus2000, Apr 15, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    IMO too. In fact it's a prudent safeguard even if you're not planning on hacking your system. It's part of my monthly routine, make an image before each cumulative update, and keep the previous images for as long as I have space to do so (I think I still have one for 10240, I certainly have the one for the OEM Win7 this system started with).

11. JohnnyGui Win User
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'm amazed taking ownership just to make it launch at startup can have bad consequences like that.

If I give it back to TrustedInstaller again, do I still have permission to launch the app at startup?

JohnnyGui, Apr 25, 2017
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 25, 2017
  13. JohnnyGui Win User

Hey Brink! *Smile Thanks a lot for the link. I take it that it also can be used for launching exes from WindowsApps folder?

I'll be giving this a try.

JohnnyGui, Apr 25, 2017
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Is it harmful to change ownership of a file? - Similar Threads - harmful change ownership

2. cant change the file folder ownership

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cant change the file folder ownership: I cannot save my games to my D drive, my D drive has 400Gb available storage, is there a workaround https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-the-file-folder-ownership/bcea7aaa-b63e-43a5-a61f-4a760d7f4fec
  3. cant change the file folder ownership

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant change the file folder ownership: I cannot save my games to my D drive, my D drive has 400Gb available storage, is there a workaround https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-the-file-folder-ownership/bcea7aaa-b63e-43a5-a61f-4a760d7f4fec
  4. cant change the file folder ownership

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. file ownership

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file ownership: HiI changed my windows and I can`t access to some photos , I tried a lot of solutions but non of them worked.Please help me to access my photos. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-ownership/0e63d4a2-b679-4b91-9de7-63e45081158c
  6. File ownership

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File ownership: Hi,I run a small company with a headcount of less than 30. We are using a shared network drive to upload and share documents on file explorer. I've managed to pull together a list detailing each document saved on the drive along with each document's file owner using the...
  7. File ownership

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File ownership: Hi,I run a small company with a headcount of less than 30. We are using a shared network drive to upload and share documents on file explorer. I've managed to pull together a list detailing each document saved on the drive along with each document's file owner using the...
  8. change ownership

in Windows 10 Customization
    change ownership: I am giving a friend my old laptop how do I change the name of the computer and change the lock screen and create a new admin acct? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-ownership/3b3af5b9-868f-473e-8705-9126a83dc9d6
  9. Changing ownership

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Changing ownership: Does changing ownership creates problems? I'm still not able to remove grayscale of encryption in advanced security menu. Help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-ownership/e4bf2f9e-2046-43cd-b02c-0a888279b521
  10. File ownership

in Windows 10 Customization
    File ownership: So i have an annoying thing on the computer that if i move a folder/file it then has a little lock and apps cant acces it. I gota right-click then file ownership and then personal. Is there a way to turn that of? Its kinda annoying. Thanks :...