Windows 10: Is it mandatory to use another anti-virus software beside Windows defender?

Discus and support Is it mandatory to use another anti-virus software beside Windows defender? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I am curious regarding this, as a advanced user of www, i don`t click or visit suspicious websites, is it safe to say that Windows defender is enough?... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Zwailla, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Zwailla Win User

Is it mandatory to use another anti-virus software beside Windows defender?

I am curious regarding this, as a advanced user of www, i don`t click or visit suspicious websites, is it safe to say that Windows defender is enough?

:)

Zwailla, Mar 14, 2019
  2. Chocolade Win User

Any suggestions for a anti virus software ?

There are so many anti viruses in the market. The last one I used was Nod32. It was on windows 8 pro.
    Now on windows 10 I didn't decide yet what to use if at all. Should I have any anti virus software on the pc ? Is the defender built in windows is good enough ? When I google for top anti virus software the first link is 2016/2017 best anti virus softwares by pcmag. The first one in the list is mcafee plus 2016.

There are so many products and I know that some of them make problems with other applications some not working good yet with windows 10 some better more or less. After all they are costing money so it's a bit mess.

Chocolade, Mar 14, 2019
  3. Windows Defender realtime scanning will not switch on - it detects another anti-virus product.

Windows Defender realtime scanning will not switch on, and the message suggests there is another anti-virus product present but if there is it does show up in Window 10 UI.

The long story is that I am troubleshooting a problem with application software. The manufacturer suggest removing Bitdefender because there product is incompatible. I thought I would give this a try, if only to element Bitdefender as a cause.

Firstly, I upgraded from Bitdefender 2016 to 2017 to see if that made a difference. The application still failed so I decided to try removal.

• I used the standard uninstall to remove Bitdefender 2017, rebooted but Windows Defender would not start realtime protection because another product was providing realtime protection
    • I download the uninstall application for Bitdefender 2017, ran it then rebooted but Windows Defender would not start realtime protection because another product was providing realtime protection
    • I checked the file system and all Bitdefender files have been deleted.
    • I check the registry and found a couple of references to Bitdefender Wallet, then deleted these.
    • I rebooted but Windows Defender would not start realtime protection because another product was providing realtime protection
    • I reran the uninstall application for Bitdefender 2017 then rebooted but Windows Defender would not start realtime protection because another product was providing realtime protection.
    I can find no traces of Bitdefender so I wonder why Windows Defender detects another anti-virus software. I've check other posts but couldn't find additional steps for uninstalling an anti-virus software. Any suggestions?

Moved from Windows 10

SystemOfTheWorld, Mar 14, 2019
  4. Is it mandatory to use another anti-virus software beside Windows defender?

Anti Virus Problems

You should not be using more than one anti-vrus program on your computer. Read the
    IMPORTANT NOTE about not using more than one anti-virus program in this

topic

The inability to turn on Windows Defender 8/10 is typically the result of having a third-party anti-virus installed or failure to remove it properly (completely). Since Windows 8/10 Defender includes anti-virus protection, it is
    disabled during the installation of another anti-virus program. If a trial anti-virus (i.e. McAfee, Norton, etc) came
    preinstalled on your computer or you installed one, Windows Defender will be turned off (disabled). Windows Defender recognizes the install and automatically disables itself when other anti-virus products are used
    to avoid conflicts. Windows Defender will remain disabled until that anti-virus software has been completely uninstalled. In some cases, you may need to download and run the anti-virus vendor's clean up tool to remove any remaining
    remnants.

After removal of the third party anti-virus, Windows 8/10 Defender needs to be
    activated
    if you choose to use it. When uninstalling the third-party anti-virus Defender should automatically turn itself on but sometimes you may receive a message indicating
    your system has no protection...click here to turn on Windows Defender. If not, and Defender remains disabled, you will need to manually turn it on.

quietman7 - MVP, Mar 14, 2019
Thema:

Is it mandatory to use another anti-virus software beside Windows defender?

1. Is it mandatory to use another anti-virus software beside Windows defender? - Similar Threads - mandatory another anti

2. Win10 Defender anti-virus disabled

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Win10 Defender anti-virus disabled: I have a fully updated Windows 10 laptop that had no less than 4 anti-virus programs on it and numerous other "junk". Even after a complete cleanup via programs uninstall, my Defender anti-virus will not turn on even though all the other Defender functions have a green...
  3. Anti virus software

Anti virus software: I have just bought the complete Windows package and wonder whether this includes anti virus software or do i need to buy this separately ? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/anti-virus-software/33a126e6-72c0-4759-940a-f1e8017c6bb8
  4. Unable to edit windows defender anti virus

Unable to edit windows defender anti virus: So my windows defender saids its on but when i go check it it saids its off and when i want to turn it on it wont let me,its just like blanked out or blocked like its greyed out and i cant even turn it on and when i goto check for updates it saids error and it saids we'll do...
  5. windows defender anti-virus protection disabled

windows defender anti-virus protection disabled: my virus and threat protection displays a message "your virus and threat protection is managed by your organization". I do not have and organization to manage my virus and threat protection. There were several downloads allowed by One Drive, "file only" and two were...
  6. Anti-virus Software!

Anti-virus Software!: I am looking anti-virus software for for Microsoft Windows10 something light! I had Norton 360 is expired and I think it was too heavy for for windows 10. Any suggestions ?...
  7. Do I need another anti-virus if have Defender on Windows 10?

Do I need another anti-virus if have Defender on Windows 10?: I am running Windows 10, so have Defender. Do I need another anti-virus, e.g. Norton or Kaspersky? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/do-i-need-another-anti-virus-if-have-defender-on/7095b893-7c7d-4eff-8a4b-b7ea027d9a8f"
  8. windows 10 anti virus defender is installed but am unable to use it ?

windows 10 anti virus defender is installed but am unable to use it ?: have had windows 10 for a number of years and the defender anti virus has in the last few days decided not to let me use it can't understand why ?...
  9. Windows Defender and anti-virus softwarea

Windows Defender and anti-virus softwarea: If I have a strong, constantly updated anti-virus software installed on my laptop, do I need Windows Defender? Should/can I turn it off? It seems like overkill. Thanks in advance. 112999
  10. Any suggestions for a anti virus software ?

Any suggestions for a anti virus software ?: There are so many anti viruses in the market. The last one I used was Nod32. It was on windows 8 pro. Now on windows 10 I didn't decide yet what to use if at all. Should I have any anti virus software on the pc ? Is the defender built in windows is good enough ? When I...