Windows 10: Is it mandatory to use another anti-virus software beside Windows defender?

Discus and support Is it mandatory to use another anti-virus software beside Windows defender? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I am curious regarding this, as a advanced user of www, i don`t click or visit suspicious websites, is it safe to say that Windows defender is enough?... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Zwailla, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Zwailla Win User

Is it mandatory to use another anti-virus software beside Windows defender?

I am curious regarding this, as a advanced user of www, i don`t click or visit suspicious websites, is it safe to say that Windows defender is enough?

:)

Zwailla, Mar 14, 2019
  2. Chocolade Win User

Any suggestions for a anti virus software ?

There are so many anti viruses in the market. The last one I used was Nod32. It was on windows 8 pro.
    Now on windows 10 I didn't decide yet what to use if at all. Should I have any anti virus software on the pc ? Is the defender built in windows is good enough ? When I google for top anti virus software the first link is 2016/2017 best anti virus softwares by pcmag. The first one in the list is mcafee plus 2016.

There are so many products and I know that some of them make problems with other applications some not working good yet with windows 10 some better more or less. After all they are costing money so it's a bit mess.

Chocolade, Mar 14, 2019
  3. Windows Defender realtime scanning will not switch on - it detects another anti-virus product.

Windows Defender realtime scanning will not switch on, and the message suggests there is another anti-virus product present but if there is it does show up in Window 10 UI.

The long story is that I am troubleshooting a problem with application software. The manufacturer suggest removing Bitdefender because there product is incompatible. I thought I would give this a try, if only to element Bitdefender as a cause.

Firstly, I upgraded from Bitdefender 2016 to 2017 to see if that made a difference. The application still failed so I decided to try removal.

• I used the standard uninstall to remove Bitdefender 2017, rebooted but Windows Defender would not start realtime protection because another product was providing realtime protection
    • I download the uninstall application for Bitdefender 2017, ran it then rebooted but Windows Defender would not start realtime protection because another product was providing realtime protection
    • I checked the file system and all Bitdefender files have been deleted.
    • I check the registry and found a couple of references to Bitdefender Wallet, then deleted these.
    • I rebooted but Windows Defender would not start realtime protection because another product was providing realtime protection
    • I reran the uninstall application for Bitdefender 2017 then rebooted but Windows Defender would not start realtime protection because another product was providing realtime protection.
    I can find no traces of Bitdefender so I wonder why Windows Defender detects another anti-virus software. I've check other posts but couldn't find additional steps for uninstalling an anti-virus software. Any suggestions?

Moved from Windows 10

SystemOfTheWorld, Mar 14, 2019
  4. Is it mandatory to use another anti-virus software beside Windows defender?

Anti Virus Problems

You should not be using more than one anti-vrus program on your computer. Read the
    IMPORTANT NOTE about not using more than one anti-virus program in this

topic

The inability to turn on Windows Defender 8/10 is typically the result of having a third-party anti-virus installed or failure to remove it properly (completely). Since Windows 8/10 Defender includes anti-virus protection, it is
    disabled during the installation of another anti-virus program. If a trial anti-virus (i.e. McAfee, Norton, etc) came
    preinstalled on your computer or you installed one, Windows Defender will be turned off (disabled). Windows Defender recognizes the install and automatically disables itself when other anti-virus products are used
    to avoid conflicts. Windows Defender will remain disabled until that anti-virus software has been completely uninstalled. In some cases, you may need to download and run the anti-virus vendor's clean up tool to remove any remaining
    remnants.

After removal of the third party anti-virus, Windows 8/10 Defender needs to be
    activated
    if you choose to use it. When uninstalling the third-party anti-virus Defender should automatically turn itself on but sometimes you may receive a message indicating
    your system has no protection...click here to turn on Windows Defender. If not, and Defender remains disabled, you will need to manually turn it on.

quietman7 - MVP, Mar 14, 2019
Thema:

Is it mandatory to use another anti-virus software beside Windows defender?

1. Is it mandatory to use another anti-virus software beside Windows defender? - Similar Threads - mandatory another anti

2. Is additional anti-virus software recommended with Windows Defender?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is additional anti-virus software recommended with Windows Defender?: Is additional anti-virus software recommended with Windows Defender? I'm thinking I may be better off turning off my #1 ranked anti-virus program which I think stinks, and only tries to sell me expensive upgrades and just use Defender. My anti-virus program didn't block a...
  3. Is additional anti-virus software recommended with Windows Defender?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is additional anti-virus software recommended with Windows Defender?: Is additional anti-virus software recommended with Windows Defender? I'm thinking I may be better off turning off my #1 ranked anti-virus program which I think stinks, and only tries to sell me expensive upgrades and just use Defender. My anti-virus program didn't block a...
  4. Defender Anti Virus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Defender Anti Virus: I use windows defender/Anti Virus. It keeps telling me I have the same problems. HackTool:Win32/Wpakill.F. Which I have dealt with many times. I have Python, Git Hub, Git Bash and Visual studion code. I keep thinking that it is finding these. Am I right or wrong? Its constant...
  5. Defender Anti Virus

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Defender Anti Virus: I use windows defender/Anti Virus. It keeps telling me I have the same problems. HackTool:Win32/Wpakill.F. Which I have dealt with many times. I have Python, Git Hub, Git Bash and Visual studion code. I keep thinking that it is finding these. Am I right or wrong? Its constant...
  6. Anti Virus Software

in Windows 10 Customization
    Anti Virus Software: Hi, Do I need to renew my Norton's 360 subscription if Windows 10 now has an upgraded Windows Defender built in? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/anti-virus-software/a3942b28-92aa-409f-adcb-ec13fc5bbb94
  7. anti-virus software?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    anti-virus software?: I am using a mac right now. I am thinking of getting a windows laptop. Mac's specs are fairly bad. The last time I had a windows laptop I had a lot of viruses. How's your situation with current anti-virus software? I use sites like putlocker, and sometimes use torrents....
  8. ANTI VIRUS SOFTWARE

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    ANTI VIRUS SOFTWARE: IF I HAVE WINDOWS 10, DO I NEED TO SUBSCRIBE TO ADDITIONAL ANTI VIRUS SOFTWARE SUCH AS MCAFEE OR NORTON? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/anti-virus-software/c2f34cf1-977f-41bb-a59c-93aa92349426
  9. Anti virus software

Anti virus software: I have just bought the complete Windows package and wonder whether this includes anti virus software or do i need to buy this separately ? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/anti-virus-software/33a126e6-72c0-4759-940a-f1e8017c6bb8
  10. Anti-virus Software!

Anti-virus Software!: I am looking anti-virus software for for Microsoft Windows10 something light! I had Norton 360 is expired and I think it was too heavy for for windows 10. Any suggestions ?...