Windows 10: Is it possible to revert a Microsoft-associated account back to a local acct?

Discus and support Is it possible to revert a Microsoft-associated account back to a local acct? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I upgraded from Windows 7 at long last a few days ago, but I’m having problems... In setting up all of my personal settings etc., I connected my local... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/augustf1re, May 28, 2020.

1. Is it possible to revert a Microsoft-associated account back to a local acct?

I upgraded from Windows 7 at long last a few days ago, but I’m having problems...

In setting up all of my personal settings etc., I connected my local account (ported from windows 7) to what I thought was my only Microsoft account. Turns out I have two, and I accidentally linked to the one that I have basically never used; e.g. is not hooked up to my email, Skype, etc.

So I wanted to switch my windows account back to a solely local account (as I had in 7) or, at the least, over to my other Microsoft acct... but I can’t figure out how to do that without deleting my windows user, losing all of my account settings, and starting over. This is dumb. Any advice?

submitted by /u/augustf1re
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/augustf1re, May 28, 2020
  2. NickTh Win User

MS Acct vs Local acct

I think you can take extra mesurments like two-step authentication, but as you said, using an MS Acct needs you to be more carefull than a local one.

NickTh, May 28, 2020
  3. User Account; Tried to Switch from Microsoft Acct to Local Acct.....

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

If you like to login directly to Desktop without using a password, either you may
    create a local account
    without password or I would suggest you to follow these steps:

• Press Windows key + R on the keyboard.
    • Type “netplwiz” without quotes and press Enter.
    • Under Users tab, if you have already unchecked the option “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer” then check it again.
    • Now select the User name under Users for this computer
      (make sure you are selecting the correct user account).
    • Now uncheck the option “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer” and click on
      Apply.
    • You will get a prompt to enter the password for the User name.
    • Type the password, confirm it and click on
      OK
    • Click on OK again.
    • Now restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

Note: Please be aware that this option will enable automatic login. So, please use this option only on your personal computer which is not accessed by others.

As per your questions later if I decide to powering Desktop signing into my Microsoft acct?

You can follow the same step and check the option which says Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer
    and you can make your local account to Microsoft account.

Using a local acct, will Cortana still allow me to speak to her and get verbal and search answers?

Cortana will not work in locale account only the normal search or web search will work with locale account.

Hope this information helps and let us know the status of the issue we will be glad to help you further.

Mohammed Yaseer, May 28, 2020
  4. Kari Win User

Is it possible to revert a Microsoft-associated account back to a local acct?

Local Acct user and MS account user - sync them or merge them

If the local account is the one where you have most of your personal data, this is how I would do it:

• Sign in to your Microsoft account
    • Copy all documents, pictures and other personal data from Microsoft account's user folders to corresponding folders in user Public (contents of MS account Documents folder to Public Documents folder and so on)
    • Sign out from Microsoft account
    Notice that above steps are only required if Microsoft account user folders contain data you want to keep. If its user folders are empty or do not contain anything worth saving, you can skip the above steps. Continue from below.

• Sign in to the local account
    • Delete the Microsoft account (Option One in this tutorial)
    • Switch your local account to a Microsoft account (tutorial)
    • Copy the data backed up from old Microsoft account to Public folders to new Microsoft account in corresponding folders

That's it. Using the Public folders as temporary storage you will have none whatsoever file owner / permission issues later on.

Thema:

Is it possible to revert a Microsoft-associated account back to a local acct?

1. Is it possible to revert a Microsoft-associated account back to a local acct? - Similar Threads - possible revert Microsoft

2. Microsoft account conflict with local admin acct account

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft account conflict with local admin acct account: Hello,Sincerely, I was forced to login with my Microsoft account after Windows 10 reboot with no prior settings changes.After rebooting and everything was fine, then I got the screen to sign in with my Microsoft account which I tried closing but It kept coming back again.So I...
  3. Switching the Microsoft account associate with my local account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Switching the Microsoft account associate with my local account: Currently my local account is associated with my mum's Microsoft account since she bought this laptop quite a while ago. But now I'm the one fully using the laptop and I want to switch the Microsoft account to my Microsoft account since I already have one. Is there anyway I...
  4. Reverting back to local account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Reverting back to local account: I inadvertently bought in to the request to sign in with a Microsoft account instead of my local account. When trying to use my local account at the log in I don't get the option to log in as another user and my old local account is all messed up....
  5. change local account username associated with a microsoft account?

change local account username associated with a microsoft account?: My first name is "Mathew". On all my windows 10 devices, I prefer to login using my microsoft account. (*** Email address is removed for privacy ***) On all of these devices, the default local user name is always "mathe", missing the "w". My home directory is...
  6. Unable to revert Microsoft Account back to a Local Account ("sign in with a local account...

Unable to revert Microsoft Account back to a Local Account ("sign in with a local account...: So my little brother wanted to buy Minecraft for Windows 10. His computer was set up with a single local administrator account and remained local up to this point. The Store requires you to sign in to a Microsoft account to buy stuff, so I did that with his Microsoft account...
  7. Windows 10 1803 Revert back to local account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 1803 Revert back to local account: Hi I accidentally converted a child local account on the laptop to use MS one. I tried to look in "Your info" in Setting as it has been posted online, I don't see "Sign in with a local account instead" What am I missing?...
  8. local account converted to Microsoft acct., is there a way to reverse?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    local account converted to Microsoft acct., is there a way to reverse?: my local admin account was converted into a Microsoft account , is there a way of reverse it ? Less than one month ago Windows 10 Pro was installed. Let me explain you that there was already a windows 8 installation with kernel corrupted , version 10 recovered all exactly as...
  9. How to revert account back to local

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to revert account back to local: I've downloaed an app from the store and this made my local account to be authenticated against my Microsoft-account. How can I revert back the account to be a local account? Thanks in advance Olli 11266
  10. MS Acct vs Local acct

in Windows 10 Support
    MS Acct vs Local acct: I see posts referencing local account and can't wrap my head around why users are opting for a local acct. *Huh I have several machines running on a home network, all with an MS account, and all log in without a password. What's not to like *Huh Why is a local...