Windows 10: Is it possible to set up the primary account to be a Local Admin ...

Discus and support Is it possible to set up the primary account to be a Local Admin ... in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Is it possible to set up the primary account to be a Local Admin account on todays new modern Windows 10 computers? Yesterday I set up a new Lenovo... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by MeAndMyComputer, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Is it possible to set up the primary account to be a Local Admin ...

Is it possible to set up the primary account to be a Local Admin account on todays new modern Windows 10 computers?

Yesterday I set up a new Lenovo IdeaPad S340-15IWL laptop Windows 10 Home

Usually I like to set up the primary account to be a Local Admin account and the owner was fine with that.
    However I did not see an option to do so and was required to create a Microsoft account in order to move on.
    I tried to go back to see if I missed creating an off-line account but it wasn't possible to go back.
    --- The owner agreed to it.

For future purposes, is it still possible to set up the primary account to be a Local Admin account on todays new modern Windows 10 computers?

:)

MeAndMyComputer, Jun 21, 2019

2. Local account installation question

I'm fairly certain that Skip this step was available in 10.0.130 - the workaround in Step 20 (back button) is no longer required.

The currently known, as of 10.0.130, ways to create a Local account sign-in are
    • Skip this step at the MS account creation phase
    • No Internet connection during the install
    • static IP (post# 2 by Fragment) - New (to me anyway)

Slartybart, Jun 21, 2019
  3. Kari Win User
    Bypass Family Settings by conversion to Local Account

What you describe should be impossible. To test this I just now created a child account on my PC and signing in to it tried to change it to either an admin account or a local account. Could not do that.

The only way your son can change his account to a local account and "remove" it from Family, or create a new account is to have access to an admin account on that same PC (your account), or alternatively access to your admin MS account's Family settings online. For that he needs both your MS account username and password. It means that if you protect your own personal admin account (MS account) with a strong password and especially the Two-Step Verification, he has no way to access that account and he should not be able / is not able to change your Family settings or his account status.

4. angus Win User

Is it possible to set up the primary account to be a Local Admin ...

Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Jun 21, 2019
Thema:

Is it possible to set up the primary account to be a Local Admin ...

1. Is it possible to set up the primary account to be a Local Admin ... - Similar Threads - possible set primary

2. Program crashes with primary Admin Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Program crashes with primary Admin Account: Hi everyone,I have a strange Problem and I guess only Microsoft Community can help. Short: I installed the Arturia Software Center and if I click the Shortcur to run it... nothing happens I'm also in contact with Arturia but continue reading, I think it's an account Problem...
  3. Program crashes with primary Admin Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Program crashes with primary Admin Account: Hi everyone,I have a strange Problem and I guess only Microsoft Community can help. Short: I installed the Arturia Software Center and if I click the Shortcur to run it... nothing happens I'm also in contact with Arturia but continue reading, I think it's an account Problem...
  4. Program crashes with primary Admin Account

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Local Admin account settings keep changing

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Local Admin account settings keep changing: Hi There, On some of our computers running Windows 10 the local admin keeps asking for a change of password even though we select the option for the password to never expire. Has anyone else experienced this?...
  6. Is it better to have your primary user be set as admin or local user?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it better to have your primary user be set as admin or local user?: I only have one user on my PC. I’ve heard that having your user set to standard is better for you as admin users are more vulnerable to keyloggers, malware, rootkits, etc. Is that true and should I set my user as standard? Need suggestions, why and why not. Thanks submitted...
  7. Local admin account vs domain admin account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Local admin account vs domain admin account: Can both local admin account and domain admin account make changes on the Windows 10 Pro PC? Like installing programs, uninstalling, making network changes etc. Does one account has more access than the other?...
  8. Set up a local account.

Set up a local account.: I purchased a new pc and set up the Microsoft administrator account. I'd like to create a separate local account for my day-to-day computing. Each time I've tried I've only managed to replace the MS account. I'd like to be able to switch between them. How do I accomplish...
  9. duplicate current admin settings of local account to a local user account on same system

duplicate current admin settings of local account to a local user account on same system: So I have set up everything as I want it with an admin account on a fresh install of win 10 home . Now I want to have 1 user account and 1 admin account for security reason (the same user for both accounts). How do I duplicate all the settings and apps I currently have on the...
  10. Cannot set up Local Account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cannot set up Local Account: I can't set up a Local Account Please help. I get this error message: [img] 17819