Windows 10: Is it safe to convert USB Drive format from FAT32 to NTFS

Discus and support Is it safe to convert USB Drive format from FAT32 to NTFS in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Is it safe to convert USB Drive format from FAT32 to NTFS. Hi tried to transfer a 4.33 GB File to USB Stick,14.5 GB Free Space, message popped up .... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by elvisthepelvis, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Is it safe to convert USB Drive format from FAT32 to NTFS

Is it safe to convert USB Drive format from FAT32 to NTFS.
    Hi tried to transfer a 4.33 GB File to USB Stick,14.5 GB Free Space,
    message popped up . File To Large - ....... Is Too Large For This For The Destination File System.
    will It still play ok on my built in Tv Media Player.
    please advise
    Thanks.

:)

elvisthepelvis, Sep 26, 2017
  2. LandonAZ Win User

In W10, how can a FAT32 disc be converted to NTFS?

I have an external IDE hard drive formatted with FAT32 with data that I want to keep. How can I convert that to a NTFS drive without losing data? My computer is using W10 and the files can be read properly but want to change the FAT32 drive to a NTFS
    formatted drive.

LandonAZ, Sep 26, 2017
  3. Flash Drive format for creating a Recovery Drive?

After 4 attempts to format usb to ntfs for recovery, windows 10 changed the format to FAT32. I finished the recovery. I then attempted to boot from FAT32 formatted usb with frozen windows screen.

I have another windows 10 machine (32bit) with USB recovery drive formatted to NTFS that works.

Any Thoughts?

SteveMcWhirter, Sep 26, 2017
  4. sml156 Win User

Is it safe to convert USB Drive format from FAT32 to NTFS

It is safe to convert the drive to NTFS but it will overwrite anything that's on there now. If you have any files on there that you do not want to loose you will have to save them somewhere else and then do the format.

Brink from TenForums wrote a tutorial on how change the format without loosing your data, But I would suggest saving it somewhere else just to be on the safe side.
    Convert FAT32 to NTFS without Data Loss in Windows Windows 10 Hardware Drivers Tutorials

sml156, Sep 26, 2017
  5. Gordon7 Win User
    Yes it will, but you have to backup/remove the content you have on the USB drive, before opening the drive in Disk Manager!

Remember to run the Disk Manager as Administrator. All the desktop stand alone PVR's I know off play NTFS files without
    any problem, it's actually the mediaplayers codec that playback your files. So if it support the media format (mpg, AVC a.s.o.)
    you record in, it should be OK.

Try with an empty drive, format in NTFS, place some of your recordings on the drive and test it.

Gordon7, Sep 26, 2017
  6. Thanks Gordon7 will try this out, just for now reduced size of file with Handbrake to 3.95GB a movie 1080p watched last night and looked good on my TV,will check specs of TV first
    Thanks.

elvisthepelvis, Sep 27, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    You need to check if TV Media Player can handle NTFS format. Probably will but many devices like TVs or routers that have a USB slot often only read FAT32.

cereberus, Sep 27, 2017
  8. Chris77 Win User

I remember doing this from XP on a Trancend external USB drive that was FAT32.
    I searched Google and found a small program that could do it. It done so without effecting the files on it, I could watch it from Player/mp4-HDMI connect to TV....but....
    1- It caused that 3000ms timeout failure, in this case Avast.(Proved this later on)
    2-The drive took long to load via USB.

The end result was that I emtied it after 6 months of somewhat frustration, and reformat it (long) properly.
    >The drive then loaded fast from USB, and the 3000ms failure was missing from eventviewer referring to Avast.
    >I always wondered where this 3000ms failure came from & why.

So formatting it properly for NTFS is the correct way, if your player/TV can handle it.

Chris77, Sep 28, 2017
  9. spunk Win User
    First, as stated, check you TV's documentation or web page about reading an NTFS drive. Most media devices only read FAT32.
    You do not need to Delete or Format (erase) the contents of your FAT32 drive to convert it to NTFS nor, do you need to use a 3rd party app. You just need to type in a command in an Elevated Command Prompt:
    convert d: /fs:ntfs
    this is assuming the drive letter of the FAT32 volume is D:, change the drive letter accordingly for your drive. However, You cannot convert NTFS to FAT32 without loosing data, so be sure your TV accepts NTFS. Also, it's a good idea to backup your files on this drive in case something goes awry. I have converted 100's of times, and never had a problem, but it's always good to err on the side of caution and backup.

spunk, Sep 28, 2017
  10. Samuria Win User
    I have used convert 100 of times never lost any files or data

Samuria, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Is it safe to convert USB Drive format from FAT32 to NTFS - Similar Threads - safe convert USB

2. Converting or formatting a USB flash drive to fat32

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Converting or formatting a USB flash drive to fat32: I either need to reformat or convert a flash drive to fat32. I have read numerous articles and most say go to accessories-system tools-disk converter but there is no disk converter is system tools. I also read an article that says to go to a command prompt and type format X:...
  3. Converting or formatting a USB flash drive to fat32

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Converting or formatting a USB flash drive to fat32: I either need to reformat or convert a flash drive to fat32. I have read numerous articles and most say go to accessories-system tools-disk converter but there is no disk converter is system tools. I also read an article that says to go to a command prompt and type format X:...
  4. Converting or formatting a USB flash drive to fat32

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Which file format FAT32 or NTFS for USB 32B GB drive

Which file format FAT32 or NTFS for USB 32B GB drive: Hi, I have a BUFFALO USB3.0 compatible USB memory standard 32GB black RUF3-C32GA-BK which I bought to be used in making boot drive but I could not make it, therefore thinking to re-format and use for saving data most probably images/videos on my Windows 10 laptop. For...
  6. Converting FAT32 drive to NTFS

Converting FAT32 drive to NTFS: It says that my drive already an NTFS when I go to my advanced startup cmd. But when I go look at in properties it still shows that it's a FAT32 drive. [IMG][ATTACH]...
  7. NTFS USB drives not showing in explorer, but FAT32 is

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NTFS USB drives not showing in explorer, but FAT32 is: For some reason my PC is not showing NTFS formatted disks in explorer. Disk Management will show the drive as a healthy primary partition, but unformatted. It also shows when I click the remove and eject media icon. This is the same for all NFTS drives, and on all the USB...
  8. USB drive can't be formatted to NTFS just FAT32

USB drive can't be formatted to NTFS just FAT32: Hello everyone I have been having this issue for about a day now, I'am trying to format my Kingston Traveler USB drive to NTFS, but in a few seconds windows will report that (Windows was unable to complete the formatting) What is this issue? Why can't I reformat it to NTFS?...
  9. Windows 10 recovery usb flash drive , formatted fat32 or NTFS?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 recovery usb flash drive , formatted fat32 or NTFS?: Sirs, I have an old pc and Bios ( non UEFI) . i formatted NTFS the 8GB usb flash drive, then found the Recovery drive creator by opening Control Panel (Windows key + X) Open Recovery Click Create Recovery drive , flash usb drive inserted , box labeled "Back up...
  10. change FAT32 USB to NTFS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    change FAT32 USB to NTFS: I purchased a 16 GB USB drive to use as ReadyBoost. In reading I discovered that NTFS is best because you can use more of the space and that you can convert FAT32 to NFTS. I had already devoted the drive to ReadyBoost before I tried this so maybe that is my problem....