Windows 10: Is paying for antivirus a waste of money?

Discus and support Is paying for antivirus a waste of money? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Defender is just basic protection. It's not as good as MSE once was. It ends up last all the time in various tests. Malwarebytes I have the lifetime... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Mar 3, 2016.

1. prikker Win User

Is paying for antivirus a waste of money?

Defender is just basic protection. It's not as good as MSE once was. It ends up last all the time in various tests. Malwarebytes I have the lifetime version. Cost me just €24. I use it with Avira free.

prikker, Mar 4, 2016
  2. Uilly Win User

Agree....

Uilly, Mar 4, 2016
  3. altae Win User
    I'd never rely on MS Defender. I feel much safer using a third party AV software. Resources are not an issue, my pc is powerful enough to deal with the extra load. Of course there is no absolute safety and I backup my data and the system frequently so in case of an infection I could always restore my system and data but if the AV software helps to keep my system clean it's worth it's price for me.

altae, Mar 4, 2016
  4. Craig Win User

Surprised at all the comments that Windows Defender isn't good enough to be used by itself...As i previously mentioned, it detected when i did get a few rather serious trojans and other viruses that i have encountered since i installed Windows 10 last year. It did a great job of destroying and isolating them and trashing them from the system...It's the only protection i am using, and my system is smooth and clean with no problems at all...

I think Defender is is being seriously underrated and under appreciated...Based on my experience, i think it's a LOT better then some of you here think...

Craig, Mar 4, 2016
  5. Cliff S New Member
    Cliff S, Mar 4, 2016
  6. LEE
    Lee Win User
    *Ditto

7. I haven't paid for AV software in 15 years + and my PC and laptop are both fine.
    every now and then I do a online scan with one of the big names just as a check and never anything.
    you really have to be incredibly silly and use dodgy sites or software to get anything.
    Common sense is also a big help.
    Most of the Av company's use scare tactics to get you to buy there software, it really is blown out of all proportion

shakennstirred, Mar 4, 2016
  8. Craig Win User

@Lee: great to hear...i was beginning to think i was the only one here that thought Windows Defender was fine to use by itself without the need for any other virus protector (free or paid).... *Smile

Craig, Mar 4, 2016
  9. Fafhrd Win User
    not recent news, but...

Anti-virus pioneer Alan Solomon thinks anti-virus is dead. He uses Linux instead | War on Error | Techworld

BTW Windows Defender does not work by itself - it also has the Malicious Software Removal Tool to deal with running threats as well as manage anti-piracy measures - unless it is disabled by choice.

Fafhrd, Mar 4, 2016
  10. Hemimax Win User
    Been using MSE and Defender since Vista.
    The machine cannot do it all, the best antivirus is you!

Hemimax, Mar 4, 2016
  11. On this dual boot box I use Windows Defender which includes the MS Malicious Software Removal Tool and I use Malwarebytes ( free ) on demand malware scanner and Mbam real time protection . I also use Google Chrome x64 for my default browser and a standard windows user account on the web to keep malware outta my root drives , etc,etc......and just as important along with some common sense and ~25 or more yrs experience on the web a lot of AV suites are mega bloatware these days anyway *sarc

OTOH I've had good luck and used Avast and AVG (free) and Mbam over the years also . I have AVG (free) and Mbam on 2 other W10 10586 th2 boxes here .

The HP elitebook here just has WD and Mbam like this one .

The free bloatware antivirus aka Crap aFee AV suite offered by my ISP was just that and I don't use it *sarc

Sent from Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Evaluation Copy . Build 14279. rs1

blutos cousin, Mar 4, 2016
  12. Geneo Win User
    It takes me three minutes to make a backup (push a button) and 5 minutes to restore. A big waste of time indeed *sarc
    I am not suggesting you don't have anti-virus software, just that it isn't foolproof.

Geneo, Mar 4, 2016
  13. DooGie Win User

I've been using ESET Nod32 for the past 10 years. I tried various others before that, ie Norton, McAfee and several free ones and wasn't happy with any of them. Most were resource hogs.
    imho I've always found Nod32 to give great protection and is very light on resources. And I feel that paying for it is very worthwhile and good value.

DooGie, Mar 4, 2016
  14. Never tried ESET Nod32........but it's true any AV program can affect start times and use some resources & memory to varying degrees but a fast multi core CPU and sufficient Ram helps with all that even an older 4 core AMD K10 and also ofc . an SSD for the OS and frequently used stuff including web browsers but the Free Avast and AVG aren't bad outside of WD and probably offer better protection than WD . U can get all that free . None of that AV stuff is worth paying for IMO and if any of them ( paid or free) find something it's old news anyway *sarc

blutos cousin, Mar 5, 2016
  15. DooGie Win User
    I guess it's just a case of horses for courses. What suits one doesn't suit the other *Biggrin

DooGie, Mar 5, 2016
Thema:

1. Is paying for antivirus a waste of money? - Similar Threads - paying antivirus waste

2. DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON BLUETOOTH HEADPHONES!!!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON BLUETOOTH HEADPHONES!!!!!: No matter what you do, Bluetooth headphones will not work on Windows 11. Don't waste your money on the bluetooth options, just get a logitech headset and you will live a much happier life. If you do decide to go with a Bluetooth Headphone, be prepared for it to never work...
  3. DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON BLUETOOTH HEADPHONES!!!!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON BLUETOOTH HEADPHONES!!!!!: No matter what you do, Bluetooth headphones will not work on Windows 11. Don't waste your money on the bluetooth options, just get a logitech headset and you will live a much happier life. If you do decide to go with a Bluetooth Headphone, be prepared for it to never work...
  4. BitLocker has completely locked me out and made my Laptop a waste of money!

BitLocker has completely locked me out and made my Laptop a waste of money!: My laptop crashed yesterday, when it reopened, it prompted a BitLocker recovery key. I thought it would be no problem as this is something I have resolved on my work device previously. However, my 48 digit key is not in my Microsoft account, I do not recall being prompted to...
  5. Wasted Money on Professional version of Windows 11 because the software key is withheld

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wasted Money on Professional version of Windows 11 because the software key is withheld: Wasted Money on Professional version of Windows 11 because the software key is withheld. I own other keys I can find no way to recover online. How many times do I have to pay $100 for a Professional Upgrade that never lasts past the next upgrade?...
  6. Wasted Money on Professional version of Windows 11 because the software key is withheld

Wasted Money on Professional version of Windows 11 because the software key is withheld: Wasted Money on Professional version of Windows 11 because the software key is withheld. I own other keys I can find no way to recover online. How many times do I have to pay $100 for a Professional Upgrade that never lasts past the next upgrade?...
  7. Installed and purchased spelling game jearle1974 from microsoft store waste of money.

Installed and purchased spelling game jearle1974 from microsoft store waste of money.: Installed spelling game jearle1974 from microsoft store but it does nothing apart from allow me to add player names. How to get refund? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installed-and-purchased-spelling-game-jearle1974/5872eed4-b42e-4c4f-9ef8-dc248f5ae21f
  8. Waste of time

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Waste of time: How, since the recent automatic upgrade of Windows 10, can I disable tapping or other unpredictable Synaptics SMBus touchpad functions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/waste-of-time/a2bfd913-5be1-4aa5-abe6-7af47fe7d7d8
  9. Unable to pay for Minecraft Realms with microsoft account money on PC

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Unable to pay for Minecraft Realms with microsoft account money on PC: I bought a $25 microsoft card for the sole purpose of renewing my realm. However after I inputted the code and had the funds in my account i realized there is no option in-game to select money from my microsoft account to use to renew the realm. The only options are...
  10. Is Paying For Antivirus Software Worthy?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is Paying For Antivirus Software Worthy?: Free Antivirus software system It’s free. Once on a decent spending, this may encourage. Anyway, remember there’s no such factor as a free dinner. Free antivirus programming framework accompanies its own particular stuff. While most free antivirus programming framework...