Windows 10: Create Windows Defender Offline Scan shortcut in Windows 10

Discus and support Create Windows Defender Offline Scan shortcut in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Create Windows Defender Offline Scan shortcut in Windows 10 [img] Information On Windows 10, Windows Defender Offline is completely... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cliff S, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Cliff S New Member

Create Windows Defender Offline Scan shortcut in Windows 10

How to: Create Windows Defender Offline Scan shortcut in Windows 10

Create Windows Defender Offline Scan shortcut in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information On Windows 10, Windows Defender Offline is completely automated. This means Windows Defender when it identifies advanced malware will recommend that Windows Defender Offline be run and on the next reboot Windows Defender Offline will automatically scan/remediate the malware and reboot into Windows 10.

Some malicious software can be particularly difficult to remove from your PC. Windows Defender Offline will restart and scan your PC offline (at boot) to help find and remove them using up-to-date definitions.

This tutorial will show you how to download or create a Windows Defender Offline scan shortcut to manually run an offline scan of your PC in Windows 10.

Note You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to scan offline with Windows Defender Offline.

When you run the Windows Defender Offline scan shortcut, you will be prompted by UAC to approve, and your computer will automatically restart to perform the offline scan with Windows Defender Offline.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Download a Windows Defender Offline scan Shortcut
    • Option Two: To Manually Create a Windows Defender Offline scan Shortcut

EXAMPLE: Windows Defender Offline scan

OPTION ONE [/i] To Download a Windows Defender Offline scan Shortcut
    1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .zip file below.
    Windows_Defender_Offline_scan_shortcut.zip

Download
    2. Save the .zip file to your desktop.

3. Unblock the .zip file.

4. Open the .zip file, and extract (drag and drop) the shortcut to your desktop.

5. If you like, you can assign a keyboard shortcut to, or move this shortcut to where you like for easy use.

6. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .zip file if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Manually Create a Windows Defender Offline scan Shortcut
    1. Right click or press and hold on an empty area on your desktop, and click/tap on New and Shortcut.

2. Copy and paste the location below into the location area, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow PowerShell.exe Start-Process PowerShell -Verb RunAs Start-MpWDOScan

3. Type Windows Defender Offline scan for the name, and click/tap on the Finish button. (see screenshot below)
    NOTE: You could name this shortcut anything you would like though.

4. Right click or press and hold on the new Windows Defender Offline scan shortcut, and click/tap on Properties.

5. Click/tap on the Shortcut tab, then click/tap on the Change Icon button. (see screenshot below)

6. In the line under "Look for icons in this file", copy and paste the location below, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\EppManifest.dll

7. Select the icon highlighted in blue above, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot above)
    NOTE: You could use any icon that you would like instead though.

8. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below step 5)

9. If you like, you can assign a keyboard shortcut to, or move this shortcut to where you like for easy use.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Cliff S, Mar 1, 2016
  2. Jack Lee Life, Mar 1, 2016
  3. Cyber_Defend_Team, Mar 1, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Nice icon Cliff. Thank you for sharing. *Smile

Brink, Mar 1, 2016
  5. Cliff S New Member
    Thanks Shawn, that with the circle is suppose to be a virus in crosshairs, but somehow the crosshairs got smudged when I antialiased the finished icon*chuckle

In case someone wants to know how it looks on the desktop with a wallpaper:

Cliff S, Mar 1, 2016
  6. Cliff S New Member
    So I just ran it on my desktop(10586.122) and it ran through like a charm*Smile
    Of course it found nothing(I only download from Developers sites/link and Major Geeks if I must, and I'm protected with MBAE), but it ran.

Cliff S, Mar 1, 2016
  7. Cliff S New Member
    Shawn, it worked om my Pro desktop, but it's not on my Home laptop.
    I have 2 questions:
    1.) Could it be the Home or Pro version?

2.) Or could it be the Set-ExecutionPolicey? I have use PowerShell on my desktop already, but not on my laptop.*Confused

Cliff S, Mar 1, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Try the shortcut again. I've noticed that if the offline scan has never been ran before, the shortcut may not work until the second time.

Brink, Mar 1, 2016
  9. Cliff S New Member
    I have already tried a whole bunch of times. I even tried rebooting, and trying again. All the happen is command prompt open, ask for permission, I give it, then Administrator PowerShell opens for a bit with the underline cursor in the top left(no text), then it closes. After that nothing*Huh

Cliff S, Mar 1, 2016
  10. Cliff S New Member
    A registry key that might be worth looking at tomorrow on my laptop.
    This is from my Event Viewer log on my desktop:
    Code: + System - Provider [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Windows Defender [ Guid] {11CD958A-C507-4EF3-B3F2-5FD9DFBD2C78} EventID 5007 Version 0 Level 4 Task 0 Opcode 0 Keywords 0x8000000000000000 - TimeCreated [ SystemTime] 2016-03-02T15:56:55.030191000Z EventRecordID 995 Correlation - Execution [ ProcessID] 2268 [ ThreadID] 5276 Channel Microsoft-Windows-Windows Defender/Operational Computer Desktop-Tower - Security [ UserID] S-1-5-18 - EventData Product Name %%827 Product Version 4.9.10586.0 Old Value N/A\Scan\OfflineScanRun = New Value HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scan\OfflineScanRun = 0x0 [/quote]

Cliff S, Mar 1, 2016
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Cliff,

I'll set up a Windows 10 Home build 10586 VM later tonight to test more, and will post back. I only tested on a Windows 10 Pro/Enterprise build 10586 and build 14271 editions.

Brink, Mar 2, 2016
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    @Cliff S,

I just finished testing in clean install of Windows 10 Home build 10586, and the shortcut worked without issue first time using it. *Smile

Brink, Mar 2, 2016
  13. Cliff S New Member

Ok thanks for testing, I'll need to look at this more when i get home from work this afternoon.

Cliff S, Mar 2, 2016
  14. Cliff S New Member
    I just tried these one after the other, both didn't help:

1.) I ran:
    fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\&fsutil usn deletejournal /d /n c:&Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup&&sfc /scannow&Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth&sfc /scannow&Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase&pause
    and rebooted(even though it found nothing)

2.) I tried Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted, also didn't help, so of course I set it back to Restricted.

3.) Looking in the Registry didn't help, it only says I haven't run it yet:
    LastofflineScan RegBinary :
    0000 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00........
    Yeehaw puzzles are fun*Think!

Cliff S, Mar 2, 2016
  15. Cliff S New Member
    Ok Shawn, I'm in the process of doing a repair install on my laptop(just pulled the trigger), if this doesn't fix running the shortcut, I give up until Redstone comes out.

The laptop is just a machine backup if something on my desktop breaks(hardware), and I don't have temporary replacement parts(I have the original RAM and a smaller backup SSD I can clone with Macrium*Nerd).

Cliff S, Mar 3, 2016
Thema:

1. Create Windows Defender Offline Scan shortcut in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Create Defender Offline

2. Windows defender offline scan not scanning

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows defender offline scan not scanning: The windows defender offline scan is not working. It just shows the blue screen after restarting and that box displaying windows defender offline and that's it. No scan progress is there everytime....
  3. Windows defender offline scan not scanning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows defender offline scan not scanning: The windows defender offline scan is not working. It just shows the blue screen after restarting and that box displaying windows defender offline and that's it. No scan progress is there everytime....
  4. Windows defender offline scan not scanning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows defender offline scan not scanning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows defender offline scan not scanning: Whenever I start the defender's offline scan, it will restart my computer then show the blue screen displaying windows offline scan but after this nothing will happen and it will restart again. It will not show any progress of scan. I tried to do it in safe mode but in that...
  6. Windows defender offline scan not scanning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows defender offline scan not scanning: Whenever I start the defender's offline scan, it will restart my computer then show the blue screen displaying windows offline scan but after this nothing will happen and it will restart again. It will not show any progress of scan. I tried to do it in safe mode but in that...
  7. Windows defender offline scan not scanning

8. Window defender Offline Scan

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Window defender Offline Scan: I want to do offline scan but my system is asking me for the Bitlocker recovery key of 10th Oct. 2019 whereas the one available in my Ms account is that of 26th Nov. 2018. As a result of this I could not go on with the offline scanning. Please I need help to resolve this...
  9. Windows Defender offline scan

Windows Defender offline scan: What's the consensus on the WD offline scan, any good? 124404
  10. Windows Defender Offline Scan

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Defender Offline Scan: Hello. I have been cleaning my Windows 10 laptop of junk files and decided to do an offline scan. When my laptop restarted, instead of the usual offline scan that I see everytime I do it, I saw a blue screen where a message “Your PC/device needs to be repaired.” I inserted my...