Windows 10: Is someone taking screen shots of my computer?

Discus and support Is someone taking screen shots of my computer? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have the free one trial. It says everything is fine. As do Windows defender. Do I need to cancel my credit card as it flashed several times when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by purplelover, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Tony K Win User

Is someone taking screen shots of my computer?

The only way to tell if your credit card got compromised is through that company and watching the daily register tally. If people have it they will use it. I would suggest you call that company and see and/or look at the account online.

So far as your computer > As Lopedoggie suggested, it may have been hacked and difficult to tell. We can guide you through a fresh Windows install if need be, have friend/relative who knows how, or take it to take it to a PC shop.

Tony K, Apr 11, 2017
  2. simrick Win User

Hi.
    Usually webcam trojans are RATs - Remote Access Trojans - and someone would usually need access to your system to install them, although they could be installed from malicious sites. However, it would behoove you to identify what you have, so you know what kind of damage has been done (password stealer, etc.), and if it's easily cleaned, or requires a fresh install of the operating system.

For the credit card, you can certainly watch the charges on it - some thieves will run a small charge through to see if they can get away with it, and then if successful, start charging things (usually gift e-cards). But many will sit on it for a while so you let your guard down, or sell it on the dark web. Stolen cards may not show activity for months.

This is why I think it's important to determine if you really are infected or not, and if so, what infection you have.

Malwarebytes should be run using the Custom Scan option, checking the box to include rootkits, and selecting all drives ever attached to the system at any time.

I see you have Avast on it. I'm fairly confident that Avast would prevent a RAT from installing, unless you were duped into installing it by a malicious site.

Another scan you could try is ESET Online Scanner. (Click the Scan Now button.)

The third thing I would run is ADWCleaner.

Malwarebytes and ESET will take quite some time to run; ADWCleaner is quick, and you might run that first. If it finds anything, you should post the logs here for review. They will be found in the root of your C drive.

The address of any site that you visit which exhibits this strange behaviour should be scanned at virustotal.com, and blocked if found to be necessary.

Reset Chrome to remove all extensions. Chrome is not a very safe browser, and I don't use it except when necessary.

Here's some reading for you:
    How hackers can switch on your webcam and control your computer

Chrome Bugs Lets Sites Listen to Your Private Conversations

Of course, a clean install is really the only way to be sure you've removed everything, but it's good to know what it is you're dealing with, and how much potential damage has been done.

p.s. my webcam has black tape over it at all times. *Wink

simrick, Apr 11, 2017
  3. NavyLCDR New Member
    I'm finding this interesting.... unless I am missing something here, the only description of the mysterious behavior we have is this:
    I'm sorry, this just does not seem much to go on to start all the theories about hackers having access to the computer. And let's go with the hacker theory for a minute. Exactly why would a hacker put an icon on a computer to indicate their activity?

Exactly where is this clear shaped box box with a black frame on it that flashes? Is it on the task bar? Is it in the notification area? Is it on a web page? Is it always there when you turn your computer on? Do you get any kind of menu when you right click on it? Can you post a screenshot of it?

Take Screenshot in Windows 10 - Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of - Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

For all we know right now, based on the limited description, it could be just an animated touchpad driver indicator

NavyLCDR, Apr 11, 2017
  4. simrick Win User

Good point Navy. *Thumbs That's why I said we need to determine if she really is infected or not.

simrick, Apr 11, 2017
  5. You need a tech buddy to look at this for you. A first step if you remotely think you are infected with malware, if you bank or shop online is to change those account passwords immediately. Not trying to panic you just routine advice for protecting your assets. I have had experience with trojans, keyloggers etc. Hardest to get rid and even determine if you have except when everything goes wonko boom or worse when you start getting the pay to fix messages, emails etc. I was just saying what i would do.

lopedoggie, Apr 11, 2017
  6. clam1952 Win User
    I'm guessing the OP is using AOL Desktop?
    In which case possibly this? post 11 onwards Black box pops up and goes off after Desktop login or browser opens! - Tech Support Forum

clam1952, Apr 11, 2017
  7. Winuser Win User
    If you do change your passwords don't use the infected computer to do it. Either clean install Windows first or if you have another computer use that one.

Winuser, Apr 11, 2017
  8. Is someone taking screen shots of my computer?

could be a service run pop up or background app launch that flashes the black box too for an instant. I think a screen capture would help those in the know see what is going on.

lopedoggie, Apr 11, 2017
  9. simrick Win User
    simrick, Apr 12, 2017
  10. clam1952 Win User
    May not be however needs clarifying as in the first post

clam1952, Apr 12, 2017
  11. f14tomcat Win User
    From her profile.....

Is someone taking screen shots of my  computer? [​IMG]

Could be either, I guess. Ask Eileen @purplelover to clarify....

f14tomcat, Apr 12, 2017
  12. simrick Win User
    simrick, Apr 12, 2017
  13. vgchat Win User

Sounds like this from the description. The ones that flash & close almost instantly.

Is someone taking screen shots of my  computer? [​IMG]

vgchat, Apr 12, 2017
  14. f14tomcat Win User
    I AOL still an ISP? Verizon bought AOL and Yahoo, and......................

f14tomcat, Apr 12, 2017
  15. clam1952 Win User
    No it isn't however they are still providing their excuse for a browser that ties in with AOL Accounts as in you can still "join" AOL.

clam1952, Apr 12, 2017
Thema:

1. Is someone taking screen shots of my computer? - Similar Threads - someone taking screen

2. screen shots

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    screen shots: My windows 10 takes a screen shot every day at the same time 8 AM. I cannot find where it is saved or why this is happening. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-shots/dd1da34a-6c03-41ba-bb68-a927838c49c8
  3. screen shots

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    screen shots: My windows 10 takes a screen shot every day at the same time 8 AM. I cannot find where it is saved or why this is happening. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-shots/dd1da34a-6c03-41ba-bb68-a927838c49c8
  4. How do I take a screen shot?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I take a screen shot?: I have Windows 10 and need to make a screen shot. When I hit PrtScr, nothing happens. When I hit Fn+Windows key+space bar, nothing happens. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-take-a-screen-shot/e5beb4ff-b765-428c-9c72-7eb5d22ba01c
  5. How do I take a screen shot?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I take a screen shot?: How do I take a screen shot? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-take-a-screen-shot/4bb79bd6-c1b6-4384-ad73-5ca5d6909561
  6. Windows 10 suddenly stopped taking Screen Shots

Windows 10 suddenly stopped taking Screen Shots: Looks like this was asking in Jan 2018 but no solution posted- Windows 10 suddenly stopped taking screenshots. I have a brand new Lenovo Ideapad s340 (owned for <6mo). Tonight I took a screenshot via a command in a virtual lab I am working in; this function has worked fine...
  7. Taking a screen shot in information in Setting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Taking a screen shot in information in Setting: I'm trying to take a screen shot in Settings-About. I'm not doing something right. Help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taking-a-screen-shot-in-information-in-setting/502d120c-15aa-407c-b056-dbee373e17b0
  8. How do you take a screen shot?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do you take a screen shot?: Hello, How do I screen shot and then add it to a document as an attachment? I haven't done it for years and for the life of me I can't remember how to! Thank you in advance, any help will be greatly appreciated....
  9. Screen shot takes too long to open

Screen shot takes too long to open: I had contacted your support through chat,and the agent Wasim,was trying to figure out the problems,when he put my laptop on re-start mode,and we lost each other mid way.Neither was any attempt made from him to either call or email me.Now, this is a new laptop,and am very...
  10. Help with Taking a Screen Shot

in Windows 10 Support
    Help with Taking a Screen Shot: I've been trying for months now to take a screen shot on my laptop (Toshiba), but cannot figure out how to do it. I want to take the screenshot and then add it to my pictures. How do I do this. My old laptop was easy; just click on the screenshot button, bring up the app to...