Windows 10: Is there a Simple way to Change User Account/Name?

Discus and support Is there a Simple way to Change User Account/Name? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I know there are many things that are suggested but I wonder if there is a simple way to do this. We just got our new Windows 10 Pro laptop yesterday... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by MPSAN, Sep 29, 2017.

1. MPSAN Win User

Is there a Simple way to Change User Account/Name?

I know there are many things that are suggested but I wonder if there is a simple way to do this.
    We just got our new Windows 10 Pro laptop yesterday and it was set up with an MS username and junk password. It then created a username in the USER directory and, all programs will want to use it. So, before I install Quicken, I want the data to go into the Proper User directory. I went to accounts and had Windows NOT use the MS sign in but added my wife's name and selected a password. Simple enough...BUT she is NOT in the user directory. Is there any way I can fix this? Someone suggested that I try to create a family member and say that there was no email account but this is starting to sound like a real mess!

Could I just remove her and then add her back from the control panel? Would that then create her name in the USERS directory? I do not want to keep trying stuff and messing up this new system.

:)

MPSAN, Sep 29, 2017
  2. Arun B J Win User

Is there a simple way to adjust (change) my web site rating when I get a pop up block?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

• Which web browser are you using?
    If you’re using Microsoft EDGE then, I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

To turn on pop-up blocker follow the steps below

• Open Microsoft Edge browser. Click on "More actions" link (...) at right side on address bar

• In "More actions" menu, Click on "Settings" to open Settings screen.

• In "Settings" screen, click "View advanced settings" button below "Advanced settings"

• In "Advanced settings" screen, turn ON toggle button below the "Block pop-ups" to block the pop-ups. Turn OFF toggle button to unblock the pop-ups

If you’re using Internet Explorer then, I suggest you to refer the link below and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...rity-privacy-settings#ie=ie-11&pop-up_blocker

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Sep 29, 2017
  3. Is there a simple way to adjust (change) my web site rating when I get a pop up block?

<Original title: site ratings>

Is there a simple way to adjust (change) my web site rating when I get a pop up block? I cannot find the steps to change it.

JohnWiseXR, Sep 29, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

- in what way? When you install it - the install path? Or in another way?

Not quite sure I understand your concern.
    Try installing a program you're interested in
    a. for the current user
    b. for all users

In case (b) try running that program when logged in as two different users and see if that meets your needs.

Are you concerned about the name of the user folder (under C:\Users), or the name of the user?

dalchina, Sep 29, 2017
  5. MPSAN Win User
    I am concerned that the name of the user...my wifes name...is NOT in the USERS folder. Could I just remove her with control panel,and then try to add her again? I do NOT want to keep adding software and have it go into appdata in anything other than her user folder.

MPSAN, Sep 29, 2017
  6. Kari Win User
    A profile folder for new users in C:\Users will only be created when the user signs in first time.

An example:

I've just created a new local user account JohnDoe, as can be seen in Settings > Accounts > Family & other people. However, as this user has never signed in, the user profile and profile folder have not been created yet, C:\Users only showing default Public profile and my own profile:

Is there a Simple way to Change User Account/Name? [​IMG]

The user account has been created and is shown in users lists like in Start, but its profile folder is not created yet. To create the profile folder for JohnDoe, he needs to sign in once. Click Start > user account picture > JohnDoe to switch user:

JohnDoe can now sign in:

This will take a minute or two because it's first now that Windows creates the user profile for him, creates profile folder C:\Users\JohnDoe and prepares default files and folders to be copied to his new profile folder:

Short: no panic, just sign in once with the new account you made for your wife. The profile will be created.

7. MPSAN Win User
    kari, will I need to remove the signin I created for my wife first? I think what happened was that MS had this messy login and I changed it to local and added my wifes name and password. However, I think all that did was change the name and password and did NOT create a new profile. I will try this...thank you!

MPSAN, Sep 29, 2017
  8. Kari Win User

NO!!! Please wait before proceeding! Let me read your posts once again, I'll post in few minutes.

9. Kari Win User
    I apologize my previous abrupt post. I panicked a bit realizing I might have misunderstood your first post.

Reading your first post, I thought you had created a new user account for your wife, but reading your follow-up posts I think what you mean is that you changed the original user account's name to that of your wife's, making it a local account.

If this is correct, I am sorry to tell you that Windows never changes the profile folder name when username has been changed. For instance if user Bruce has his profile folder C:\Users\Bruce, and he then changes username to Caitlyn, the profile folder would still be C:\Users\Bruce. Changing folder name manually would only cause issues.

In your case as you told that laptop was only bought yesterday, I think the best at least easiest solution would be to do a reset. See this tutorial for help: Reset Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

If you decide to reset Windows and set it up with your wife's name, be sure to select Just remove my files option as told in above mentioned tutorial:

Reset removes all traces of the original user accounts.

10. MPSAN Win User
    ...OK, but can I just remove my wife's sign in and then create a new local user family as you suggested. IF I remove my wifes account, I believe it is only the login and the original default from the initial setup would still be there won't it? In that case I can leave the original alone and try to just add her as a user and will then have it create her name in users, won't it?

MPSAN, Sep 30, 2017
  11. MPSAN Win User
    OK, here is what I did do, although I wish I did not have to.
    When I set up Windows 10 pro, it asked for an MS account. I do not have one and do not want one...Anyway, lets say I used L: abcdefg@gmail.com and when it insisted on a password I gave it a dumb one but did write it down. All was good and I did some minor setup and then added Macrium Reflect v7.1 and did a full image. All was good...I thought.

Anyway, when I looked in file manager under Users, it had abcde as the user! I guess it set everything up with the first 5 characters of my darn gmail ID!
    OK, no problem...I went to where I could change the username and password and changed it. It did work, however it did not add the user name to the USER directory.

So, my wifes name is Ellen and that is how I logged in, but still no user other than abcde (in my above example) and I am afraid that if I remove the account, it will kill my access to Windows.

So, what I did and it WORKED was to just add a user with no MS account. I still have Ellen, but they made me change it as her name was already taken so I added our last name initial to her first name. I also made the account an Admin account. So, when I rebooted and logged in it DID create her USER name. I did not want to do this, but for now it is OK and the stuff in abcde is just fine. I just do not want to do a clean install and start over. HP did not give me media anyway, but there is a recovery partition. I think my best bet is to leave well enough alone!

Does all of this make more sense now?

MPSAN, Sep 30, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    A new user folder is only created when you create a new user.

Here's a tutorial covering changing an account name, for reference/interest
    Change User Name of Account in Windows 10 Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

The question about changing the name of the user profile folder has been asked many times here. Whilst it's possible it's also technically very involved, requiring registry edits. Simply renaming the folder would be entirely inadequate and lead to problems.
    Change Name of User Profile Folder in Windows 10 Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

There are more related tutorials (see in links in those above), and you're always welcome to search and browse the tutorial section
    Windows 10 Tutorial Index Windows 10 Tutorials

dalchina, Sep 30, 2017
  13. MPSAN Win User

Thank you, I had seen most of what you said, and I am not afraid of regedit. However, since I just started this, I may call HP to be sure I can bring my system back to the original state and when it tries to run the initial setup again, I can look very hard at setting it up WITHOUT an MS ID. I have done this with 2 other systems I built and never had to create an MS ID. That is what started this in the first place.

MPSAN, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Is there a Simple way to Change User Account/Name? - Similar Threads - Simple Change User

2. Change user account name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change user account name: A long time ago, I named my user andre and signed-in with my microsoft account. there was a typo and it was suppose to be andrew. now my user folder is named andre on every new PC I buy as I have to sign in with a MSFT account. Anyway to fix this?...
  3. Change user account name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change user account name: A long time ago, I named my user andre and signed-in with my microsoft account. there was a typo and it was suppose to be andrew. now my user folder is named andre on every new PC I buy as I have to sign in with a MSFT account. Anyway to fix this?...
  4. Changing names of user accounts

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Changing names of user accounts: Is it OK to change the name of a user in the ‘users’ section of File Explorer inside This PC/Windows? I have one listed as ‘new user’ and would rather give it a more meaningful name....
  5. Change name and add another simple users without microsoft account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Change name and add another simple users without microsoft account: Hi. How i can change completely the name and the mail it has add it at windows 10? I want to add 2 users. One is going to be the admin with the mail it has(If i can do it without using any mail or account at all it would be fantastic) Two is going to be simple user NOT...
  6. Change name and add another simple users without microsoft account

in Windows 10 Support
    Change name and add another simple users without microsoft account: Hi. How i can change completely the name and the mail it has add it at windows 10? I want to add 2 users. One is going to be the admin with the mail it has(If i can do it without using any mail or account at all it would be fantastic) Two is going to be simple user NOT...
  7. Change name of user account

Change name of user account: I have an admin user account named "Admin". After I created it, I linked it with my Microsoft account which bears the name of "Shmuel". However, the system still calls the account "Admin". For instance, the path is C:\Users\Admin I want to change the name to "Shmuel", because...
  8. User Account Name Change

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    User Account Name Change: I just got this computer last week, and the last letter of my name is missing. I dont have an option to change it in the Control Panel, nor can I rename the folder through my drive. Is there another option?...
  9. User Account Name Change

User Account Name Change: Final result of this whole process: JUST CREATE A NEW USERNAME AND START ALL OVER. Weird/odd things keep popping up. The sound issue, random program errors, and random instability with Windows (I clicked the wifi button in notifications to turn it off the other day to move...
  10. Change user account name?

Change user account name?: Having created a Msoft admin account in form, say, def7936@...., I then created a local account with admin powers, which I called Forename. However I see that all my local account documents are in C:\users\def79, an abbreviation of the Msoft version, not Forename, as desired....