Windows 10: Change User Name of Account in Windows 10

Discus and support Change User Name of Account in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change User Name of Account in Windows 10 How to Change User Name of an Account in Windows 10 The user name of an account is used to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Steve C, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Steve C Win User

Change User Name of Account in Windows 10

How to: Change User Name of Account in Windows 10

How to Change User Name of an Account in Windows 10

The user name of an account is used to identify the account in Windows. For example, on the sign-in screen.

This tutorial will show you how to change the name of any local account or your Microsoft account in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to change the name of a local account.

*note Changing the name of an account will not change the name of it's profile folder (ex: "C:\Users\Brink2").

*note User names can't contain the following characters: / \ [ ] " : ; | < > + = , ? * % @

Change User Name of Account in Windows 10 [​IMG]

CONTENTS:

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change Name of your Microsoft Account Online at Microsoft
    *note This will affect the name of your Microsoft account on any device that you sign in with the same Microsoft account.
    1. Go to the "Your info" page on the Microsoft account website, and sign in to your Microsoft account if not already.

2. Click/tap on the Edit name link under your current name. (see screenshot below)

3. Type a new First name and Last name you want as the display name for your Microsoft account, enter the characters you see to verify, and click/tap on Save. (see screenshot below)

4. Your Microsoft account's name will now be changed. (see screenshot below)

5. While connected to the Internet, sign in to your Microsoft account on your Windows 10 PC to apply.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Change Name of a Local Account in Control Panel
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the User Accounts icon.

2. Click/tap on the Manage another account link. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on a local account (ex: "Brink2") you want to change the name of. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on the Change the account name link. (see screenshot below)

5. Type a new account name you want, and click/tap on Change Name. (see screenshot below)

6. The name of the local account will now be changed. You can now close the Control Panel if you like. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] To Change Name of a Local Account in Local Users and Groups
    *note Local Users and Groups is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open the Run dialog, type lusrmgr.msc into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Local Users and Groups.

2. Click/tap on Users in the left pane, and double click/tap on the current Name (ex: "Brink2") of the local account you want to change the name of. (see screenshot below)

3. In the General tab, type the new Full name (ex: "Brink3") you want for the local account, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

4. The name of the local account will now be changed. You can now close Local Users and Groups if you like. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Change Name of a Local Account in netplwiz
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open the Run dialog, type netplwiz into Run, and click/tap on OK to open netplwiz.

2. Check the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer box, select the local account you want to change the name of, and click/tap on the Properties button. (see screenshot below)

3. In the General tab, type the new User name (ex: "Brink3") you want for the local account, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

4. If you wanted to have Windows automatically sign in to an account at startup, then you will need to set this up again now.

5. When finished, click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

6. If you are currently signed in to this local account, click/tap on Yes to sign out and apply your changes.

OPTION FIVE [/i] To Change Name of a Local Account in Command Prompt
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Type the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. Make note of the current Name (ex: "Brink2") of the local account you want to change the name of. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow wmic useraccount get fullname, name

3. Type the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow wmic useraccount where name="Current Name" rename "New Name"

*note Substitute Current Name in the command above with the actual current name (ex: "Brink2") of the local account from step 2 above.

Substitute New Name in the command above with the actual new name (ex: "Brink3") you want for the local account.

For example: wmic useraccount where name="Brink2" rename "Brink3"

4. You can now close the elevated command prompt if you like.

OPTION SIX [/i] To Change Name of a Local Account in PowerShell
    *note For more Rename-LocalUser command options and details, see: Rename-LocalUser - Microsoft Developer Network
    1. Open an elevated PowerShell.

2. Type the command below into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter. Make note of the current Name (ex: "Brink2") of the local account you want to change the name of. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Get-LocalUser

3. Type the command below into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Rename-LocalUser -Name "Current Name" -NewName "New Name"

*note Substitute Current Name in the command above with the actual current name (ex: "Brink2") of the local account from step 2 above.

Substitute New Name in the command above with the actual new name (ex: "Brink3") you want for the local account.

For example: Rename-LocalUser -Name "Brink2" -NewName "Brink3"

4. You can now close the elevated PowerShell if you like.

OPTION SEVEN [/i] To Change Name of Built-in Administrator account in Local Security Policy

*note This option is only available in the Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise editions.
    1. Open Local Security Policy (secpol.msc).

2. Expand open Local Policies in the left pane, and click/tap on Security Options. (see screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of Security Options, double click/tap on Accounts: Rename administrator account. (see screenshot above)

4. Type a new name you want for the built-in Administrator account, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

5. You can now close Local Security Policy if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Steve C, Nov 13, 2017

2. Change User Account name in windows 10

If you’re the admin, you should see this... hmmm

I wonder if we’re in the same spot.

Click start and type “control panel” - search for user accounts - then once that’s open, look for “manage another account”

Let me know this helps!

- C

Charlie Klausen, Nov 13, 2017
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Nov 13, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Steve,

I'm not aware of a way to have a separate user name on each PC for the same Microsoft account.

Brink, Nov 13, 2017
Thema:

1. Change User Name of Account in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change User Name

2. Change user account name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change user account name: A long time ago, I named my user andre and signed-in with my microsoft account. there was a typo and it was suppose to be andrew. now my user folder is named andre on every new PC I buy as I have to sign in with a MSFT account. Anyway to fix this?...
  3. Change user account name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change user account name: A long time ago, I named my user andre and signed-in with my microsoft account. there was a typo and it was suppose to be andrew. now my user folder is named andre on every new PC I buy as I have to sign in with a MSFT account. Anyway to fix this?...
  4. Changing names of user accounts

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Changing names of user accounts: Is it OK to change the name of a user in the ‘users’ section of File Explorer inside This PC/Windows? I have one listed as ‘new user’ and would rather give it a more meaningful name....
  5. Change name of user account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Change name of user account: I have an admin user account named "Admin". After I created it, I linked it with my Microsoft account which bears the name of "Shmuel". However, the system still calls the account "Admin". For instance, the path is C:\Users\Admin I want to change the name to "Shmuel", because...
  6. Windows Users Account Name Change

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Users Account Name Change: I recently added my microsoft to my pc and it has changed the Users folder to the beginning 5 letters of my email. It is really making me mad I have looked all over on how to fix and its just so ugly with 5 letters from the start of a dumb email address. How can I change it...
  7. User Account Name Change

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    User Account Name Change: I just got this computer last week, and the last letter of my name is missing. I dont have an option to change it in the Control Panel, nor can I rename the folder through my drive. Is there another option?...
  8. User Account Name Change

User Account Name Change: Final result of this whole process: JUST CREATE A NEW USERNAME AND START ALL OVER. Weird/odd things keep popping up. The sound issue, random program errors, and random instability with Windows (I clicked the wifi button in notifications to turn it off the other day to move...
  9. How to change Account Name and User Name?

How to change Account Name and User Name?: I am the sole user of my pc. Under Settings/Accounts my name is:- John Smith my email address Administrator Q1 How do I change this to just:- Pete Administator? Under This PC I have drives C, F and G In C the user is called John In F user called Pete In G...
  10. Change user account name?

Change user account name?: Having created a Msoft admin account in form, say, def7936@...., I then created a local account with admin powers, which I called Forename. However I see that all my local account documents are in C:\users\def79, an abbreviation of the Msoft version, not Forename, as desired....