Windows 10: Is there a way to disable "how do you want to open this file?" msg?

Discus and support Is there a way to disable "how do you want to open this file?" msg? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi there, whenever I install a new program, Windows now asks me, whether I want to use the current program I already have or the new program to open... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by SoWhy, Aug 10, 2015.

1. SoWhy Win User

Is there a way to disable "how do you want to open this file?" msg?

Hi there,

whenever I install a new program, Windows now asks me, whether I want to use the current program I already have or the new program to open a supported filetype.

Is there a way to disable "how do you want to open this file?" msg? [​IMG]

Since I'm quite certain that I know if and when I want to change the program I use, I find the "how do you want to open this file?" prompt just plain annoying. Is there any way to disable it completely?

Strangely enough I couldn't google the answer...

TIA

:)

SoWhy, Aug 10, 2015

2. How to disable this stupid "how do you want to open this file"??? INSANE.

they want to push through our throats the windows 10 apps. Really NO NEED for this.

No other windows asked us such a stupid thing.

Yuri Rocha, Aug 10, 2015
  3. How to disable this stupid "how do you want to open this file"??? INSANE.

That's a NO for you my friend. It displays this thing for JPGs and MP3 files!!!

It is there just for pushing those useless apps from microsoft.

Please report this to the engineers to erase this from Windows.

Yuri Rocha, Aug 10, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Aug 10, 2015
  5. SoWhy Win User
    Thanks for the quick reply. I found the Registry method when googling but the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer no longer exists. The Group Policy option was new to me though.

Apparently the text of the prompt has been changed from "How do you want to open this type of file from now on?" to "how do you want to open this file?" at some point, which was the reason I couldn't find the thread. For everyone else as confused as me: The group policy edit works!

SoWhy, Aug 10, 2015
  6. jfreemont Win User
    I have a thread about this, too.

So does that tutorial cover this situation, too? I ask because the tutorial says that it gets rid of the dialog box that appears if you click on the actual notification itself, not opening a file that has a default program. So will following the tutorial cover this situation, too?

jfreemont, Aug 11, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Great news.

Yep, the registry keys are not there by default. You would need to add them either using the .reg downloads or Group Policy. *Smile

Brink, Aug 11, 2015
  8. alex95070 Win User

Same here. The registry edit did not work, but the Group Policy fix seems to have done the job. Thanks for the tip!!

UPDATE: apparently, I was a little hasty in saying that the Group Policy change worked. I'm still getting the notification in many cases.

alex95070, Aug 11, 2015
  9. jfreemont Win User
    Alex, just curious...did you try creating the keys when you attempted it? Or did you just see that they didn't exist and not mess with it?

jfreemont, Aug 11, 2015
  10. alex95070 Win User
    I downloaded the "Disable_New_App_Installed_Notification.reg" file and ran it. I assume that made the necessary registry change as I do have that value in the registry.

alex95070, Aug 11, 2015
  11. jfreemont Win User
    So to be clear, neither the Group Policy nor the registry fix worked for you to solve this problem?

I have not tested this yet (and won't for a few days), but I am trying to see what other people are experiencing right now because this is a huge issue in a work environment where we don't want users getting this dialog box.

jfreemont, Aug 11, 2015
  12. jfreemont Win User
    Confirmed: the tutorial doesn't work.

Any other ideas?

jfreemont, Aug 13, 2015
  13. alex95070 Win User

That is correct. Neither 'fix' worked in my case, and I did double-check both to make sure that the changes 'stuck'.

Whoops. See now that you confirmed it yourself.

alex95070, Aug 13, 2015
  14. ygnhzeus Win User
    Anyone gets this solved in win10? I have the same issue *Sad

ygnhzeus, Aug 18, 2015
  15. mcleaver Win User
    Some programs do not seem to get informed when I choose a default to open certain file types. So PIE Studio and Telegram do not remember that I use MPC-HC for mov files and ask every time, whether I tick "Always use this app" or not. I haven't found a solution and don't know whether it's the program's fault or Win10.

mcleaver, Aug 23, 2015
Thema:

1. Is there a way to disable "how do you want to open this file?" msg? - Similar Threads - disable open file

2. how do you want to open this file?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how do you want to open this file?: every day at 8:00 PM i get a pop up how do you want to open this file? its very annoying how do i get it to stop showing up every day submitted by /u/JamesLPYT [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/v5q11h/how_do_you_want_to_open_this_file/
  3. How do you want to open this file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do you want to open this file: Hello all, Earlier I installed WPS and then I uninstalled it later. But some of it's files are still in the PC which is very annoying. For better reference to the problem I am attaching the screenshot. [ATTACH]...
  4. How do you want to open this file?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you want to open this file?: Hi guys, I'm getting rather annoyed at this but hopefully somebody will be able to explain how to solve it.... When I try and open an "image file" (jpeg, png etc) i get the classic pop up "how do you want to open this file" I Cannot go past this point. I have selected...
  5. How do you want to open this file?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do you want to open this file?: Hi guys, I'm getting rather annoyed at this but hopefully somebody will be able to explain how to solve it.... When I try and open an "image file" (jpeg, png etc) i get the classic pop up "how do you want to open this file" I Cannot go past this point. I have selected...
  6. How do you want to open this file?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do you want to open this file?: Every time after booting my desktop, this "How do you want to open this file?" message appears. I have no clue, what kind of file this message talking about. Help me out.[IMG]...
  7. How do you want to open this file

How do you want to open this file: when i try to open .cfg file it asks me every time "How do you want to open this file", i set notepad and it don't save this app as the application in which it must to open. And whey i again try to open this .cfg file windows again asks me "How do you want to open this...
  8. "How do you want to open this file?"

"How do you want to open this file?": This pops up on my computer randomly, but generally every 5 to 10 minutes. It disappears on mouse click, but is annoying. Especially if in the middle of some work. See the attached screen shot. I have read through many posts regarding a variation of this popup that includes...
  9. How do you want to open this file ?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    How do you want to open this file ?: When ever I try to download a program and I was an exe. file I never just get a run button so I can simply install the program but a box pops up saying "how do you want to open this file? " with the options of: Internet Explorer Notepad Office XML Handler Paint Windows...
  10. Disable "How do you want to open this file"?

Disable "How do you want to open this file"?: On every computer I've installed Windows 10 on (a dozen+) despite me setting all my default file types and applications, the first time a specific file type in opened, it still asks if I want to use this program. I've attached a picture of the first time I'm trying to open a...