Windows 10: Disable 'You have new apps that can open this type of file'

Discus and support Disable 'You have new apps that can open this type of file' in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Disable 'You have new apps that can open this type of file' [img] Information When users install a new Store or desktop app in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by SaggyMaggyPoo, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Disable 'You have new apps that can open this type of file'

How to: Disable 'You have new apps that can open this type of file'

Disable 'You have new apps that can open this type of file' [​IMG]
    Information When users install a new Store or desktop app in Windows 10 and open a file type or protocol association that the app is able to open it with by default, then the user will get a "You have new apps that can open this type of file" notification. If the user clicks/taps on this notification, it will open a "How do you want to open this type of file from now on?" dialog for the user to select to keep using the current default app or the new app.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the "You have new apps that can open this type of file" notification for all users in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do the steps in this tutorial.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable "New App Installed" Notification using a REG file
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable "New App Installed" Notification in Group Policy

EXAMPLE: "You have new apps that can open this type of file" notification
    NOTE:
    For example, after installing a new image viewer app, and open a .jpg file.

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable "New App Installed" Notification using a REG file

Note The .reg files below are to make changes to the registry key and value below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

NoNewAppAlert DWORD

0 = Enabled
    1 = Disabled

1. Do step 2 or step 3 below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable "New App Installed" Notification
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_New_App_Installed_Notification.reg

Download

3. To Disable "New App Installed" Notification
    A) Click on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_New_App_Installed_Notification.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. Either restart explorer, sign out and in, or restart the PC to apply.

8. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable "New App Installed" Notification in Group Policy

Note Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option One above.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. If prompted by UAC, then click/tap on Yes.

3. In the left pane, click/tap on to expand Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, and open File Explorer. (see screenshot below)

4. In the right pane of File Explorer, double click/tap on Do not show the 'new application installed' notification. (see screenshot above)

5. Do step 6 or step 7 below for what you would like to do.

6. To Enable "New App Installed" Notification
    A) Select (dot) Disabled or Not Configured, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below step 7)
    NOTE: Not Configured is the default setting.

7. To Disable "New App Installed" Notification
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

8. You can now close the Local Group Policy Editor window if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

SaggyMaggyPoo, Mar 9, 2015

2. "How do you want to open this type of file" box, but no filename listed!

In Task Scheduler, it would appear as "AssistanceLivebox"

- - -

Taskname: AssistanceLivebox

Display name: Assistance Livebox

Company name: Orange"

Command-Line: C:\program files (x86)\orange\assistance livebox\assistancelivebox.exe

- - -

Try this:

Press WinKey + R, and type:

cmd /k schtasks /query |clip

Press ENTER

Open Notepad, press CTRL + V to paste the command output, from clipboard. Use the Find option and search for "AssistanceLivebox" or "Orange".

And this guide may be helpful.

How to Find If the Unknown Program Window That Opened and Closed Immediately Was a Scheduled Task? :

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/find-unknown-program-open-and-close-immediately/

Ramesh Srinivasan, Mar 9, 2015
  3. ghmj07 Win User
    "How do you want to open this type of file" box, but no filename listed!

Niranjan,

Thanks for replying. To answer your question, I don't know what type of file is trying to be opened. If you are viewing this on a device with a large enough screen, I posted a screen capture of the box in the original post. I had never seen this before.
    Previously, if I tried to download/open something from a browser, it would list the filename, but in this case, none is listed. Also, it appears to be random in timing, although I've only noticed when I have a web browser open. The message I listed regarding
    "program.txt" was just the response I received when I tried selecting notepad to open the unknown file.

As you instructed, I ran sfc /scannow. Windows Resource Protection found no integrity violations.

Thanks.

ghmj07, Mar 9, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Disable 'You have new apps that can open this type of file'

Hello Maggi,

LOL, yeah it can be a tongue twister for the brain with how MS has it like that. However, I think it's best to leave it as is since that's how it's officially recognized and to not make any more confusing. *Smile

Time will tell if group policy will still be there for non Pro edition of W10 or not.

Brink, Mar 9, 2015
Thema:

Disable 'You have new apps that can open this type of file'

1. Disable 'You have new apps that can open this type of file' - Similar Threads - Disable 'You apps

2. When an application will not open and get you can not open this type of app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When an application will not open and get you can not open this type of app: When you get an error that the application can not be opened with a drop down of other ways to get it to open and Edge or Chrome is not there but adobe or other apps how do you fix that ?...
  3. When an application will not open and get you can not open this type of app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When an application will not open and get you can not open this type of app: When you get an error that the application can not be opened with a drop down of other ways to get it to open and Edge or Chrome is not there but adobe or other apps how do you fix that ?...
  4. When an application will not open and get you can not open this type of app

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Can you change icons of apps that don't have an option to "open file location?"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can you change icons of apps that don't have an option to "open file location?": [ATTACH] submitted by /u/gr_drummer [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gdnpw3/can_you_change_icons_of_apps_that_dont_have_an/
  6. You will need a new app to open this MS.WPC

in Windows 10 Customization
    You will need a new app to open this MS.WPC: Whenever I launch google chrome or iTunes this error comes up. Ive followed multiple threads and nothings worked. Ive tryed going into powershell in admin. It didn't work WINDOWS 10...
  7. How to I open this type of file? Is there an app I can download that will open it, because...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to I open this type of file? Is there an app I can download that will open it, because...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/rockkett [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fok3yo/how_to_i_open_this_type_of_file_is_there_an_app_i/
  8. change the default app to open a file type

in Windows 10 Customization
    change the default app to open a file type: How do I change the default app to open a .wpd document file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-the-default-app-to-open-a-file-type/6cb7b0b6-d967-4f4b-9d18-8ad6651abac0
  9. Can not reset how a file type is opened.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can not reset how a file type is opened.: I have been downloading some mods for minecraft when i had to run a .jar file. I looked on the internet to figure out how to do so and followed them, but when i went to run it and it asked how i was going to run it, i had forgot to deselect "Always use this app to open .jar...
  10. Disable "How do you want to open this file"?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable "How do you want to open this file"?: On every computer I've installed Windows 10 on (a dozen+) despite me setting all my default file types and applications, the first time a specific file type in opened, it still asks if I want to use this program. I've attached a picture of the first time I'm trying to open a...