Windows 10: Is there a way to turn off throttling when on battery power?

Discus and support Is there a way to turn off throttling when on battery power? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a Ryzen gaming laptop (2019) and when it is plugged in, it works just fine. But when unplugged, its just almost unusable. There are just so many... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/DaBaDaDee, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Is there a way to turn off throttling when on battery power?

I have a Ryzen gaming laptop (2019) and when it is plugged in, it works just fine. But when unplugged, its just almost unusable. There are just so many stutters here and there even while scrolling. There are delays in opening apps. Also, dealing with text (selecting, deleting etc.) takes a bit of a second to complete. It gets really annoying.

It gives me good battery life, I admit, but I still want to use this laptop to the fullest even when on battery power. Is there a way to turn these limitations off? Thanks

submitted by /u/DaBaDaDee
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/DaBaDaDee, Nov 9, 2019
  2. mbass Win User

Prevent Cpu throttle on Battery

Hello,

I recently upgraded my Laptop by adding an SSD with windows 10 pro.

Now I noticed the computer throttles the cpu frequency whenever I'm on battery even on high performance profile.
    (In task manager I can see cpu frequency instantly dropping from 2.3-2.5 to 1.2 GHz as soone as I unplug the AC adapter).

The issue is not bios related and It does not happen on Ubuntu nor window 7( I mesured and the cpu frequency does not change when I unplug).

I tried the following:
    - High performance profile.
    - increased "minimum processor state" in power plan settings to 60% (https://i2.wp.com/www.techconsumergu...ng?w=452&ssl=1)
    - Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Power Throttling Settings and I Enabled the "turn off power throttling"

Still windows 10 throttles whenever I'm on battery.

Can someone suggest a solution for this?

Thanks in advance

mbass, Nov 9, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    Introducing Power Throttling in Windows 10

Source: Introducing Power Throttling - Windows Experience Blog

See also:

Brink, Nov 9, 2019
  4. Is there a way to turn off throttling when on battery power?

Is the Windows Update responsible for CPU throttling?

Yes Windows 10 update absolutely is responsible!...And I haven't been able to fix it either specifically when encoding video through Handbrake. Windows introduced a concept called "Power Throttling" at both a system level and on an app by app basis. Basically, so as to help improve battery life, this lets Windows automatically determine which apps are running in the foreground and which should be placed in the background. Performance limits are imposed on apps in the background to limit their drain on the battery when not in immediate use. However, this is ruining my nightly video encodes, as it is taking more than 3 times as long, since it is limiting Handbrake to functioning at approximately 1/3 capacity. As long as I am using Handbrake actively, encodes occur at full pace, but as soon as I leave the computer alone for a few minutes, Handbrake is throttled. It resumes full capacity if I change the Windows power plan to another and back, but only while I am actively using Handbrake.

I have tried all avenues to deactivate this for either the system at large or for the Handbrake program specifically. I include what steps I have taken in case it helps someone else, but I have not been able to stop Windows interfering with the throttling feature.

- System Level

• Click on battery icon in system tray and drag new slider to "Best performance". This is supposed to turn all "Power Throttling" off.
    • One can also, supposedly, deactivate "Power Throttling" through Group Policy
      • Click [Win] and then type "Edit group policy"
      • Navigate to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Power Management -> Power Throttling Settings
      • Open Turn off Power Throttling and select Enabled to turn it off for all apps.

- App Level

• Go to Settings [Win]+ -> System -> Battery -> Battery Usage by App

[*]Locate "Handbrake" in the list and deselect "Let Windows decide..."

VideoEncoder, Nov 9, 2019
Thema:

Is there a way to turn off throttling when on battery power?

1. Is there a way to turn off throttling when on battery power? - Similar Threads - turn off throttling

2. Enabling Power Throttling

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Enabling Power Throttling: Due to having tweaking the regedit my power throttling was deleted. I don't know how to restore it back. Any glues?I have Ideapad gaming 3 16iah7. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enabling-power-throttling/a7d94f65-d569-41e5-a2e9-343021990618
  3. Battery drains when turned off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Battery drains when turned off: I bought a HP 820 G3 that runs on Windows 10. I discovered that the battery drains when turned off completely. What do I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-drains-when-turned-off/5ae56c7b-f9c7-4ec0-8ec6-8e1195c553a3
  4. Battery drains when turned off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Battery drains when turned off: I bought a HP 820 G3 that runs on Windows 10. I discovered that the battery drains when turned off completely. What do I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-drains-when-turned-off/5ae56c7b-f9c7-4ec0-8ec6-8e1195c553a3
  5. Battery drains when turned off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Is there a way to turn this off

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to turn this off: [ATTACH] This is in the setting and it's kinda annoying because I never use this stuff beside Windows Update and I also use Edge but that Web browsing thing and Reward keeps appearing. Is there a way to turn it off?...
  7. Is there a way to turn off power to a specific usb port when screensaver activates?win10

Is there a way to turn off power to a specific usb port when screensaver activates?win10: So i got these coolio amazon basic usb speakers and well..they have very annoying bright led lights.....the instructions say to unplug them to disabled the lights *roll eyes*.....is there a way i can disable power to the specific usb port whenever my screensaver activates so...
  8. Is there a way to turn off notifications when my PC is off?

Is there a way to turn off notifications when my PC is off?: So I have Twitter notifications set on my PC, that way when I'm using it, I can quickly jump to the Twitter page to see what happened. Anyway, each day when I turn on my PC, the notifications will get spammed with everything that happened overnight. Is there a way I can...
  9. "Allow slideshow on battery power" turns itself off.

in Windows 10 Customization
    "Allow slideshow on battery power" turns itself off.: So I have my background set to change to another picture in a slideshow once a day, but I often use the laptop unplugged, and the slideshow doesn't change. The first few days I was confused, but then I realized that the option "Allow slideshow when on battery power" was...
  10. Can't turn off battery/power saving mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't turn off battery/power saving mode: Any time I restart my laptop and I go to performance settings power saving mode is turned on. If i set to high performance, then it doesn't recognizing it and turns power saving back again after restart. If i change advanced settings under power saving mode and set everything...