Windows 10: Iso, esd or wim?

Discus and support Iso, esd or wim? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Wish to correct a Source files missing problem, so need to download an ISO. Installed is W10 1511 version 10586.164 Pro.....how can I tell whether it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dencal, Mar 14, 2016.

1. dencal Win User

Iso, esd or wim?

Wish to correct a Source files missing problem, so need to download an ISO.
    Installed is W10 1511 version 10586.164 Pro.....how can I tell whether it is ESD or WIM?
    I know that downloads are as following.....M$ Media is ESD and TechNet is WIM.

:)

dencal, Mar 14, 2016
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, Mar 14, 2016
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Mar 14, 2016
  4. OldMike65 Win User

Iso, esd or wim?

I'm a little confused because you answered the question that you asked??

OldMike65, Mar 14, 2016
  5. dencal Win User
    Does my installed version require an ESD or a WIM ISO?.....they are different.

dencal, Mar 14, 2016
  6. OldMike65 Win User
    Glad to help you, if I understood what you want too do *Smile

OldMike65, Mar 14, 2016
  7. OldMike65 Win User
    Ahhh ok you can use either one dencal, might be a tad easier with the Tech iso.....but either one will work

OldMike65, Mar 14, 2016
  8. OldMike65 Win User

Iso, esd or wim?

Then just copy the install.WIM from the ISO to a partition, like E: (or any other partition you have)
    then run this command:
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:E:\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

The install.wim is found in the sources folder in the ISO from Tech Bench.

OldMike65, Mar 14, 2016
  9. topgundcp Win User
    Does not matter, either will work.
    They are exactly the same. Different compression methods. ESD is smaller, faster to download.
    If you use 7-zip to unzip either install.esd or install.wim, the results are the same in file size.

Iso, esd or wim? [​IMG]

topgundcp, Mar 14, 2016
  10. dencal Win User
    Thanks to you both for replies....M$ support recommend using the TechNet WIM version.
    Apparently it is a known M$ problem, updating on some computers wipes out vital .dll,s and they are looking to fix it.

dencal, Mar 14, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Many people have reported that DISM will not use the .ESD file contained in the Media Creation Tool ISO file and had to download the ISO from Tech Bench containing the .WIM file, so I always suggest just going to Tech Bench first.

NavyLCDR, Mar 14, 2016
  12. OldMike65 Win User
    No problem dencal, if you need any more help, just let us know. Mike. *Smile

OldMike65, Mar 14, 2016
  13. dencal Win User

Iso, esd or wim?

Microsoft support also recommend deleting any existing CBS log files when repairing missing source files.

dencal, Mar 14, 2016
  14. OldMike65 Win User
    Yes because Windows will create a new one when you run your install.wim for repairs
    should be in C:\windows\logs folder

OldMike65, Mar 14, 2016
  15. Kyhi Win User
    And Image-Health does all of the suggested above..
    finds the source Install.*** > supports the use of .esd or .wim
    clears the log..
    runs the proper dism commands..

All you have to do > is select the option to run...

But, the techbench ISO with an Install.wim - is the preferred source................

Thema:

Iso, esd or wim?

1. Iso, esd or wim? - Similar Threads - Iso esd wim

2. .esd does work without .wim

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    .esd does work without .wim: Can use DISM for .ESD (windows is compressed) repair below without converting to .WIM: Run as admin & fix # of OS and letter of installation flash drive: ! Be sure to use the right Drive letter so likely replace the E. 1-insert OS flashdrive,2- copy 1st string to Word doc...
  3. ESD or ISO

ESD or ISO: Hey there! What is difference between esd and iso file? Should I update my windows 10 through esd file or iso file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/esd-or-iso/5068853b-102f-40f2-aa2e-48fd3cd633be
  4. Creating ISO file out of an ESD image -> too big to fit inside DVD, if converted to WIM;...

Creating ISO file out of an ESD image -> too big to fit inside DVD, if converted to WIM;...: Hello, I have downloaded the following file directly from Microsoft: 17763.379.190312-0539.rs5_release_svc_refresh_CLIENTBUSINESS_VOL_x64FRE_de-de.esd (3.3 GB in size) It contains almost all Windows 10 editions in ESD image format, Build 17763.379 stable. Then I...
  5. DISM, Export WIM>ESD (recovery) > Crashes (0x80070008)

DISM, Export WIM>ESD (recovery) > Crashes (0x80070008): Well, got interesting error with latest Windows 10 ADK, crashes while exporting image from WIM to ESD using /compress:recovery switch, same happens also with wimlib and solution seems the same (Figured perhaps this helps someone who might have same error). HW information:...
  6. Create a wim or esd file with no volume image

in Windows 10 Support
    Create a wim or esd file with no volume image: [img] Hi Using Windows ADK 10 v1511, it is possible to create a wim or esd file with no volume image so that I can add them later? Thanks Bye 42214
  7. Extract a .WIM from an .ESD?

Extract a .WIM from an .ESD?: Hi guys, I'm trying to make a 10 Pro 10586 image with MDT 2013 Update 1 and I cannot use the ISO I got from the Media Creation Tool. I realized this is because the ISO now uses a install.esd instead of install.wim; I read that it is possible to extract the .wim from a ESD...
  8. ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File: How to: ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File [img] Warning As Microsoft has changed the upgrade method from ESD based upgrade to a UUP based, the method told in this tutorial does not work anymore with 15xxx and later builds. Please see UUP to ISO...
  9. Convert ESD file to WIM using DISM in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Convert ESD file to WIM using DISM in Windows 10: How to: Convert ESD file to WIM using DISM in Windows 10 [img] Information Servicing an offline image, mounting an image, committing changes, it all sounds a bit complicated to an average Windows user. However, it's just geek speak meaning modifying default Windows...
  10. Win 10 .WIM ISO copy

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 .WIM ISO copy: Hello I was using Win 10 x 64 as .ESD but was advised to use .WIM. I burned a DVD from the .WIM file at Tech Bench. I then made a copy, however, the when you open the copy there is a folder called temporary burn folder. When you open it, it says what the original says....