Windows 10: Items in Start Menu all die after upgrade of W10

Discus and support Items in Start Menu all die after upgrade of W10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I upgraded Windows as requested and my computer went crazy....all Start window items would not load....USB camera, Xbox, etc. My profile was in a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DeborahCox_933, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Items in Start Menu all die after upgrade of W10

I upgraded Windows as requested and my computer went crazy....all Start window items would not load....USB camera, Xbox, etc.

My profile was in a temp setting and I did not have the ability to roam.

Had to restore to original settings and lost data as system was encrypted. Now I am afraid to upgrade without hands-on assistance. Help!!!!

:)

DeborahCox_933, Nov 16, 2019

2. how to keep W7 start menu pinned items when upgrading to W10

Hi,
    Sorry for the late reply.

Answer for your question, “Windows 7 ability to pin recent opened items in jump lists is the fastest way to access your most used stuff, is this feature discontinued in W10?” “YES”

You have an option to pin the recent opened items in the jump lists. Windows 10 allows you to display the recent items starting from number 0 to 60. You can choose any number as per your preference and then you will be able to see that number of recent
    items on your Jump Lists. To quickly open any program, you can also use Quick Access on Windows 10.

It shows you the list of lately and repeatedly opened, mostly visited, tasks or pinned items of any pinned program or currently active program on the Taskbar. When you make a right click on any pinned item on the Taskbar or on any running program, you can
    see a list of certain items. Those items are different for files, folders, and websites. The pinned and recent items are visible in case of folders. You are also provided with the facility to pin the recent items. And the Jump Lists of file show you the recently
    used file along with an option to pin them to the taskbar. But the websites have different sections like most visited, recently closed, and tasks.

Note: The number of Jump Lists on windows 10 is 10 by default.

If you are facing issue with jump list/ or you want to have more than 10 jump list to be view on windows 10 after upgrading, I suggest you to follow the steps below to change the settings.
    How to Show Jump Lists on Start and Taskbar in Windows 10

1. Enter into the Settings app from the polished Start Menu.

2. Upon the emergence of the Settings app, click Personalization symbol.

3. Go to the last option on the left column and click Start.

4. The Start on the right pane showcases four option. Read the last one, Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or Taskbar.

5. To Show Jump Lists on Start and Taskbar in Windows 10, toggle it to On.

6. Now, right click on any opened program on Taskbar and you can see the Jump Lists.

7. On Start Menu, click on the arrow next to the program and its displays you the Jump Lists.

8. If you prefer not to see the Jump Lists, toggle it to off in the Start of Personalization category of Settings app.

9. Execute a right click on a program on Taskbar and you can no more see the Jump Lists items.

10. And have the option of changing the Jump lists ON or OFF.

Hope this information is more helpful. Please do let us know if

you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Vidyashree_C, Nov 16, 2019
  3. Tarman72 Win User
    how to keep W7 start menu pinned items when upgrading to W10

Hi, I've a lot of important items pinned in my W7 start menu, I work as system admin so many RDP shorcuts, putty, powershell, etc.

Now I need to upgrade to W10 and I'm fearing that my shortcuts dissapear, is there a way to preserve them?

Thanks

Tarman72, Nov 16, 2019
  4. Items in Start Menu all die after upgrade of W10

Add or Remove Items for All Apps in Start menu in Windows 10  

Hi, @Brink:

My caffeine titer is low, so I must be missing some blatant, basic step to add a shortcut to my account's All Apps list in the Start menu (Option1).
    The new process both for creating shortcuts and for adding/removing items to the Win10 start menu has me flummoxed.
    Your tutorials are always "topnotch", so this must be a cockpit error on my part.

>I would like to follow the suggestion on page 1 of the wushowhide.diagcab tutorial to add a shortcut in All Apps for my account.

I have d/l the wushowhide.diagcab and saved it to my downloads folder.
    I have done Step 1 on Page 1 of THIS tutorial to navigate to the Start Menu Programs folder.
    But HOW do I actually complete Step 3 to create a shortcut and then add it to the Start Menu "All Apps"??

I think I need to first somehow create a shortcut for the .cab file and then add it to All Apps in the start menu???

Please advise.

Thanks!
    MM

P.S. I have been postponing the probably inevitable installation of Class Shell.
    I would rather not have to install a 3rd-party program to be able to perform basic Windows tasks.
    But this new workflow in Win10 for a basic functionality might force me to do it.
    Sigh.

MoxieMomma, Nov 16, 2019
Thema:

Items in Start Menu all die after upgrade of W10

1. Items in Start Menu all die after upgrade of W10 - Similar Threads - Items Start Menu

2. Unnamed Start Menu Item

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unnamed Start Menu Item: Hi, Under the "Other" section of my start menu is an item with no logo, "ms-resourceAppListName" which is a bit unsightly. If I click on it, it launches the People app. I can't find a way to restore the title and icon and it seems I can't uninstall the app even though I...
  3. Broken item in Start Menu

Broken item in Start Menu: Hi Please could someone assist me with removing the following item in my Start Menu: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/broken-item-in-start-menu/7aa56942-3cde-49d1-a75a-38afb23a89f1
  4. add items in menu Start

add items in menu Start: Hi to whom it may concern. I know how to insert one icon in Start Menu or in application bar but I don't know to insert VLC media reader icon in the list of Apps at left of Start Menu. Could you tell me how to do it? Thank you and Best Regards, Dario...
  5. Start menu "recent items"

Start menu "recent items": Hi, I have "Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar" set to Off (in the Personalization -> Start section of PC seetings), but recently opened items still appear. If I turn the setting "On, and then "Off" again, it clears the lists. But ultimately,...
  6. Start menu items...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu items...: When I started up, then rechecked the standard News and weather apps. were not working in the START menu. They were working fine yesterday. 110222
  7. Pin all desktop items to Start Menu at once?

Pin all desktop items to Start Menu at once?: Hey guys, I have a decent amount of items on my Desktop that I want to pin to the Start Menu. Pinning them one by one would be a pain, so is there a way to pin all of them at once? Thanks *Smile 11799
  8. Item still in start menu after uninstall

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Item still in start menu after uninstall: Well I uninstalled a few programs and most of them have no traces left... one however is still listed under the letter sorted part of the start menu. No clue how to remove it as it's not installed and none of the files from it are left... Edit: You know those blonde...
  9. Blank start menu items

in Windows 10 Support
    Blank start menu items: See picture. For some reason many icons have no picture and are left blank. Any idea how to fix this? [img] 23700
  10. Organizing Start Menu items

in Windows 10 Support
    Organizing Start Menu items: Hi. New to this forum, I was a previous member of the Seven Forums for years. I have just installed 10 and like what I see so far. Does anyone know how to: - Organize your Start Menu (i.e. delete folders and create your own folders). I am unable to right click to get...