Windows 10: Join Windows 10 PC to Azure AD

Discus and support Join Windows 10 PC to Azure AD in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Join Windows 10 PC to Azure AD [img] Information First, a bit longer quote to explain Azure AD: Azure Active Directory (Azure AD)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Join Windows 10 PC to Azure AD

How to: Join Windows 10 PC to Azure AD

Join Windows 10 PC to Azure AD [​IMG]
    Information First, a bit longer quote to explain Azure AD:

Quote from Azure Active Directory

In Windows 10, an Azure AD user account is called a Work or school account. It is a so called organizational account provided to you by your employer, school or organisation as part of their Office 365 or Microsoft 365 Business, Enterprise, Education or Government subscription.

Joining a Windows 10 PC to Azure AD means you must sign in to Windows using your Azure AD credentials and is mainly intended to be used on devices which are solely used for work or study purposes and often owned by the employer or school.

Registering a Windows 10 PC on Azure AD means you will continue signing in to Windows with your personal local or Microsoft account, but in addition can access employer / school resources with single sign-on Azure AD credentials. Registering instead of joining is mostly intended to be used when employees / students are allowed to use their own devices for work or studies like in BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) companies and schools, or just to allow employees / students do work / school stuff from home.

To join to or register on Azure AD requires Windows 10 PRO, Education or Enterprise edition.

This tutorial will show how to either join your Windows 10 PC to Azure AD, or how to register it on Azure AD.

Contents [/i] Click links to jump to any part

[table][tr][td]Part One:[/td] [td]Join Azure AD from Windows Setup (new PC / clean install)[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Part Two:[/td] [td]Join Azure AD from existing installation[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Part Three:[/td] [td]Register on Azure AD from Settings[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Part Four:[/td] [td]Register on Azure AD from an app[/td] [/tr] [/table]

Part One [/i] Join Azure AD from Windows Setup (new PC / clean install)
    1.1) On Windows 10 PRO edition when creating initial user account on new PC or after a clean install, select Set up for an organisation:

This selection is not shown in Education and Enterprise editions.

1.2) Sign in with your Azure AD account credentials:

1.3) Depending on your employer / school security settings, you might be requested to create a PIN. Notice that minimum length for an Azure AD PIN is 6 digits.

1.4) Finish Windows Setup as usual. When on desktop, you will see that your device is joined to Azure AD, and your user account is an Azure AD account:

Part Two [/i] Join Azure AD from existing installation

2.1) If you have already set up Windows 10 using a local or or Microsoft account and need to join Azure AD, open Settings > Accounts > Access work or school and click Connect:

2.2) Select Join this device to Azure Active Directory:

2.3) Sign in with your Azure AD credentials:

2.4) Click Join after checking that information is correct:

2.5) Depending on your employer / school security settings, you might be requested to create a PIN. Notice that minimum length for an Azure AD PIN is 6 digits.

2.6) All done, your device is joined to Azure AD:

Part Three [/i] Register on Azure AD from Settings
    3.1) If you have already set up Windows 10 using a local or or Microsoft account and need to register on Azure AD instead of joining it, open Settings > Accounts > Access work or school and click Connect:

3.2) Enter your Azure AD email address and click Next:

3.3) Enter your password, and PIN if required. Notice that minimum length for an Azure AD PIN is 6 digits. Depending on your organisation's security settings, you might also be required to enter a verification code sent by text message or email:

3.4) To finish the registration process, you will be asked to enter the password for your current local or Microsoft account:

3.5) Your Windows user account (local or Microsoft) is now connected to / registered on Azure AD:

Part Four [/i] Register on Azure AD from an app
    4.1) Most Microsoft UWP apps allow to sign in using an Azure Ad account. When signing in, you can choose if you want to register your PC on Azure AD or just sign in to app in question instead.

For instance, you can sign in to Windows Store with Azure AD credentials:

4.2) Enter your Azure AD email address, click Next and in following prompt enter your password:

4.3) In next prompt, if you select Skip for now (#1 in screenshot below), you will be signed in to just app in question, Store in this example and your device will not be registered on Azure AD.

However, if you choose to click Yes (#2), your device will be registered on Azure AD exactly as if you had followed instructions in Part Three above:

That's it geeks! Do not hesitate to post your questions in this thread.

Kari

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Oct 4, 2015
  2. Mr Davo Win User

Image W10 workstations for Azure AD join?

Hi All,

I want to image Windows 10; but more importantly I need to join Azure AD 'Out of the Box'!

I don't have a 'master' Azure AD account. I am not even sure that such a thing exits, e.g.: the Administrator account on a standard Active Directory Domain.

Where should I be looking for configuration, where it comes to Azure AD automatic joining?

My thoughts are PowerShell DST! But that is just a rumour.

Any suggestions would be amazing.

Regards,

Davo

Mr Davo, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Dino-M Win User
    Disconnecting on prem AD and then joining Azure AD creates new Windows profile?

Hello everyone,

I have a question about joining computers in my firm from on prem AD to Azure AD. When someone new arrives at our firm (new employee), there is a fresh installation of Windows 10. It is easy to join Azure AD
    because it is a fresh start, but now we have to migrate all Windows 10 users that are on prem AD to Azure AD. When I disconnect those users from our local on prem AD and join them to Azure AD, whole new Windows 10 profile is created, without any of settings,
    data or anything else on that profile (clean profile with few applications that are installed computer-wide). So my question is, is there any solution to keep their profile settings from before they joined Azure AD? Or I will have to simply tell them to backup
    everything (essential data).

What I tried so far:

• Tried tools for migration like ForensiT (User Profile Wizard, User Profile Manager and Transwiz, just to see if it is going to work) - not successful
    • Tried changing profile path from registry - not successful
    • Tried log in with the old credentials example: CONTOSO\user (because after I joined that computer to Azure AD user should log in as *** Email address is removed for privacy ***) - not successful
    Is there anything else I can try? Thanks for your answers.

Dino-M, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Ethan.ASI Win User

Joining a Windows 10 Pro machine to Azure AD without linking/registering an employees email address to that computer

I have been researching for a few weeks now trying to figure out how to join Azure AD for new purchased machines when setting up the machine.

I have two different scenarios that would be joining azure AD.

1. Shipping a machine that has not been setup yet directly to an employee's location. I have to walk through step by step on how to configure settings, join the azure domain, and how to download a program or two. Is their a Microsoft process that I can put
    information into that knows that computer needs to join our azure domain? I do not wish to sign in with my credentials to join the azure domain each time we order a new computer.

2. If my company has a windows 10 Home edition machine that we would want to add to our Azure AD, We purchase a windows 10 pro license and activate it under the settings. our next step is going into the settings to join an azure AD domain through a Microsoft
    account, however I do not wish to register my account on every computer in our environment. Is their a way to have this computer join azure AD with some sort of a token or activation process? The second issue to this scenario is after joining the azure AD
    with my credentials the local admin account is still active and I need to then go through the process of logging in and removing this account.

What would be the best process of joining my environments machines to our Azure AD network without having to register my account with each computer?

Ethan.ASI, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Windows 10 login with Azure AD join failing

I have two Surface 3 (i.e. not Pro) tablets that I have upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. I also have a fully working Office 365 tenancy. I logged in with a Microsoft (Live) account to create an initial administrator account.

Then I was excited to perform an Azure AD Join on the first one and logged into Windows 10 using the "Other user" option that then appeared on the login screen. I logged in using the O365 account that I used for the Join and another O365 account. However,
    the second Surface will join the Azure AD (O365) tenancy no problems but every time I try to log in it tries for a while and then says that "The username or password is incorrect. Try again."

Does anyone have a way to diagnose what is going wrong or have a suggestion on how to resolve this please?

Thanks.

SteveR_Ark, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Joining Windows 10 to Office365/azure

Hi Lan,

Based on your description, we understand that you want to join Azure AD from a local admin. You may refer to this article

AzureAD Domain Join – Add user to local adminstrator group.

In addition, we suggest you post the question in
    Azure forum
    for dedicated assistance. This is the specific channel that handles Azure related questions and issue.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Tina

Tina Chen MSFT, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Join Windows 10 PC to Azure AD - Similar Threads - Join Azure

2. Windows 10 Azure AD Joined not giving option to clients to save key in Azure AD without...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Azure AD Joined not giving option to clients to save key in Azure AD without...: Windows 10 Azure AD Joined not giving option to clients to save key in Azure AD without admin privilege.With Admin privilege clients can save the key in Azure AD. We had group policy to write the key to AD when the clients were only joined on-prem ad but now as Azure joined...
  3. Windows 10 Azure AD Joined not giving option to clients to save key in Azure AD without...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Azure AD Joined not giving option to clients to save key in Azure AD without...: Windows 10 Azure AD Joined not giving option to clients to save key in Azure AD without admin privilege.With Admin privilege clients can save the key in Azure AD. We had group policy to write the key to AD when the clients were only joined on-prem ad but now as Azure joined...
  4. Windows 10 Azure AD Joined not giving option to clients to save key in Azure AD without...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. With Micsotsoft F3 license we are not able to login any Azure joined device.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    With Micsotsoft F3 license we are not able to login any Azure joined device.: With Micsotsoft F3 license used we are not able to login any Azure joined device. Whenever we tried login the windows device, getting incorrect username or password.And, with the same account, we are able to access the other company site which includes Office 365 websites....
  6. With Micsotsoft F3 license we are not able to login any Azure joined device.

With Micsotsoft F3 license we are not able to login any Azure joined device.: With Micsotsoft F3 license used we are not able to login any Azure joined device. Whenever we tried login the windows device, getting incorrect username or password.And, with the same account, we are able to access the other company site which includes Office 365 websites....
  7. With Micsotsoft F3 license we are not able to login any Azure joined device.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Unable to download webwhatsapp from Mircosoft store . Windows 11 23H2 joined azure AD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to download webwhatsapp from Mircosoft store . Windows 11 23H2 joined azure AD: I can load into the store buy the download button is grey . tried below method and doesn't wrork:Here's the steps you can try. -Press Windows key + X -Go to Settings -Click Update and Security -Click Troubleshooter then Additional troubleshooter. -Look for Windows Store Apps...
  9. Unable to download webwhatsapp from Mircosoft store . Windows 11 23H2 joined azure AD

Unable to download webwhatsapp from Mircosoft store . Windows 11 23H2 joined azure AD: I can load into the store buy the download button is grey . tried below method and doesn't wrork:Here's the steps you can try. -Press Windows key + X -Go to Settings -Click Update and Security -Click Troubleshooter then Additional troubleshooter. -Look for Windows Store Apps...
  10. Unable to join client machine to domain. Active Directory environment created in Azure.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to join client machine to domain. Active Directory environment created in Azure.: Context: I'm running an active directory environment using Microsoft Azure. I have 3 VMs, 2 of which are domain controllers running 2019 Windows Server datacenter with the 3rd VMclient machine running Windows 10 Pro.All of the VMs have static IPs and when created, were added...