Windows 10: Just replaced AMD 6870 with AMD R9 390 getting constant BSODs

Discus and support Just replaced AMD 6870 with AMD R9 390 getting constant BSODs in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; When I start some games, I get BSOD "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED" and have to manually restart. Usually happens within 2 minutes of starting the game, often... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by rspradley, Oct 14, 2015.

1. rspradley Win User

Just replaced AMD 6870 with AMD R9 390 getting constant BSODs

When I start some games, I get BSOD "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED" and have to manually restart. Usually happens within 2 minutes of starting the game, often sooner. I've got all the recent drivers, Windows 10 home, X58 Pro-E (MS-7522) motherboard, AMD R9 390.

It has freezing and then BSOD with Starcraft 2 and Wolfenstein New Order, but has no problem with Assassin's Creed Black Flag or Bioshock Infinite (all of these on ultra/max graphics settings).

Looking into the device event viewer for my GPU, it says it's working but I've got numerous events stating

"Device PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_67B1&SUBSYS_20151462&REV_80\4&3aa91971&0&0018 could not be migrated.

Last Device Instance Id: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6738&SUBSYS_200F1787&REV_00\4&3AA91971&0&0018
    Class Guid: {4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
    Location Path:
    Migration Rank: 0xF000FFFFE000F122
    Present: false

Event 441

See attached file

The only new things are the graphics card and its related drivers, my last one was AMD 6870 so it had CCC, I uninstalled the drivers in safe mode and reinstalled the latest one CCC which supposedly was a fix for Windows 10 issues, I guess I'm having trouble figuring out if it's a Windows 10 or AMD Driver issue, and whichever it is, what to do about it.

I also benchmarked it using userbenchmark.com and there was no crash and it was able to give it a grade (a good one). Also forced the fans on the GPU and it was 34 C during the crash I had that going, so doubt it's overheating.

:)

rspradley, Oct 14, 2015
  2. ThrashZone, Oct 14, 2015
  3. video_tdr_failure with AMD radeon r9 390

Thank you for your feedback so soon as it is greatly appreciated. I got a usb media tool for windows 10 but when I tried to connect my monitor to my graphics card then start my computer it couldn't get signal. I tried using a DVI cord as well but it didn't
    work. The monitor itself if working fine since I am using it when plugged into my mother board. The graphics card is assembled correctly in the mother board and is detected through device manager so I don't know how it can't be connecting. I also tried using
    the start up repair when connected to my mother board and it said that it couldn't repair my pc and said try other options. Is there any other way to repair my windows and be able to connect my monitor?

Thank you.

Augustin Miceli, Oct 14, 2015
  4. axe0 New Member

Hi rspradley,

Welcome to the 10forums.

The 0xEF(CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED) has some causes, like hard drive damage, memory problems, software interfering, CPU problems and some other things.
    Please follow the instructions below to start with.

Please try the following:
    • Open taskmanager
      • Go to the tab startup
      • disable everything
    • Search msconfig and open it
      • Go to the tab services
      • Check 'hide microsoft services'
      • Uncheck all other services
      • Click apply and click ok
    • Reboot if asked
    See if the problem persist, if the problem does not persist enable in the startup tab in taskmanager 1 item and in the services tab in msconfig also 1 service, reboot and see if the problem persist. Keep doing this until you find the culprit or there is nothing left.
    If the problem still persist, try booting in safe mode and see if the problem still persist.

Just replaced AMD 6870 with AMD R9 390 getting constant BSODs [​IMG]
    Diagnostics Test
    HDD & SSD TEST

Run SeaTools to check the integrity of your HDD. SeaTools for DOS and Windows - How to Use - Windows 7 Help Forums

Note Do not run SeaTools on an SSD as the results will be invalid.

Run chkdsk Disk Check - Windows 7 Help Forums

5. rspradley Win User
    Disabled all that stuff, still crashed on SC2 and Wolfenstein in normal mode. In Safe Mode, even with network, the games couldn't access the cloud so they wouldn't launch so I couldn't test in Safe.

Did disk check and it had no errors

Couldn't run the Seagate Tool, I suspect it's not Windows 10 / 64 bit compatible or at least I couldn't find the version that is (sorry it's 3:30AM here and I haven't slept so maybe it's there but I'm just unable to find it)

I also tried downloading the latest Direct X (June 2010) and when I went to put them in a folder found that they were already installed apparently - tried playing again, no luck.

Other thoughts / diagnostics? I don't understand why SC2 and Wolfenstein New Order freeze immediately but Bioshock Infinite and Black Flag don't.

rspradley, Oct 14, 2015
  6. axe0 New Member
    SeaTools is windows 10 compatible.
    Get some sleep and try SeaTools again in the morning

Please fill in your system specsPlease follow this tutorial and download the tool. The tool will give you detailed information about your system specs, please fill in your system specs more completely.How to fill in your system specs:

7. rspradley Win User
    Updated my system specs

I'll just leave SeaTools running, it just gets stuck on "USB: Scanning for supported drives. Please wait..." but I guess I'll just see how long it stays like that.

rspradley, Oct 14, 2015
  8. badrobot Win User

What AMD driver version are you using? I am still using 15.7.1 . There is also 15.8. Take note that 15.9 and 15.10 are both beta versions.

badrobot, Oct 14, 2015
  9. rspradley Win User
    I tried first with 15.10 beta and then with 15.7.1 (just double checked still currently have 17.5.1 - 15.200.1062.1004 compared to 15.10 - 15.201.1151.1005), with uninstall in safe mode.

rspradley, Oct 14, 2015
  10. axe0 New Member
  11. rspradley Win User
    Just finished uninstalling with DDU and reinstalling the AMD 15.7.1 drivers, still had BSOD first seconds after loading SC2 and Wolfenstein.

Some additional info - when I was examining the temps (I used SpeedFan 4.51) my remote temp is 72C. I never checked this before I had problems so I don't know if it's always been like that or not.

Local temp -56C; Remote 72C; Temp 1 38C; Temp 2 56C; Temp 3 45C; HD0 36C; GPU 45C; Core 0 47C; Core 1 44C
    The Remote temp corresponds to Chip LM84 Intel SMBus, as does the Local temp

But it can handle an hour of Infinite but not even 30 seconds sometimes of SC2... without the GPU temp going up for either, so I'm not really convinced it's overheating, at least not the GPU, but I don't know how to interpret that Remote temp value. Re-installing some other games to see if any of them have problems too. (Metro Last Light, Arkham Asylum both fine) Uninstalling then reinstalling both Wolfenstein and SC2 and seeing if tweaking any of their settings will fix it, though being a BSOD it seems like it would be more than just the games causing it..

rspradley, Oct 14, 2015
  12. rspradley Win User
    I don't know if this changes anything, but

- Disabled V-sync lets the games hold out longer
    - Haven't been able to test SC2 because they're updating it but Wolfenstein now gives me the error "there is insufficient storage to save your progress, please clear 9kb" my hard drive has 250 GB remaining on it, immediately along with that message freezing, the screens becomes a BSOD with "Critical_Process_Died" once again. It seems to be able to play most games fine but these two both it cannot seem to handle.

- Again, driver or other issue? Any fixes?

rspradley, Oct 14, 2015
  13. axe0 New Member

Any progress with SeaTools?

14. rspradley Win User
    It still just gets stuck at "USB: Scanning for supported drives. Please wait..."

oh wait, it finally figured out what it was doing, okay scan time.

rspradley, Oct 15, 2015
  15. axe0 New Member
    Please perform the short and long generic tests.

Thema:

1. Just replaced AMD 6870 with AMD R9 390 getting constant BSODs - Similar Threads - replaced AMD 6870

2. R9 390 WINDOWS 11 PROBLEM !!!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    R9 390 WINDOWS 11 PROBLEM !!!!!: I have an "AMD R9 390" video card and my computer has Windows 11 operating system, but I am having a driver problem. No matter which game I enter, I get the error "your video card driver is outdated". When I look at the AMD application, my video card seems to be up to date. I...
  3. R9 390 WINDOWS 11 PROBLEM !!!!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    R9 390 WINDOWS 11 PROBLEM !!!!!: I have an "AMD R9 390" video card and my computer has Windows 11 operating system, but I am having a driver problem. No matter which game I enter, I get the error "your video card driver is outdated". When I look at the AMD application, my video card seems to be up to date. I...
  4. AMD R9 285 issue

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    AMD R9 285 issue: I put a computer together recently and bought a used Radeon R9 285. It was working fine for the first few days but all of a sudden it stopped working. The PSU is brand new. It works if I uninstall the drivers but as soon as I do install the drivers I get a black screen right...
  5. AMD R9 285 issue

AMD R9 285 issue: I put a computer together recently and bought a used Radeon R9 285. It was working fine for the first few days but all of a sudden it stopped working. The PSU is brand new. It works if I uninstall the drivers but as soon as I do install the drivers I get a black screen right...
  6. AMD R9 M375 driver installation problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    AMD R9 M375 driver installation problem: Hello everyone Recently, my laptop suddenly freezed during a gameplay, so i restarted, but the screen is black and the windows won't boot normally, so i booted the windows in safe mode, i found that the graphics driver causes the windows to freeze, so i disabled the...
  7. MSI R9 390 Driver Issues

MSI R9 390 Driver Issues: So about a couple weeks ago, my graphics card has been running into issues with games crashing once I join in them. It says: "A fatal error occurred in the graphics driver. Code:38 Result:'Device removed, Reason: DXGI_Error_Device_Hung:Graphics device stopped responding....
  8. What Is The Best R9 390 AMD Card To Date For Crossfire ?

What Is The Best R9 390 AMD Card To Date For Crossfire ?: So far after lots of searching I found this one: Sapphire 11247-03-40G Sapphire NITRO R9 FURY graphics card Shop UK : Ballicom.co.uk : Buy Suggestion which match this or greater would be appreciated *Smile 72337
  9. AMD Radeon R9 380X

AMD Radeon R9 380X: (For those thinking of getting an upgrade for 1080p gaming this Christmas... *Smile ) AMD Radeon R9 380X review feat. Sapphire: The best graphics card for 1080p gaming, priced to fight AMD's Radeon R9 380X fills a gaping hole in the world of graphics cards, and it's...
  10. Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 380 Nitro

Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 380 Nitro: A couple of hours ago I installed a new driver they told me about. I decided to play FC2 and was going along when 'black screen' and sound locked. So I had to crash pc out of it, task manager said it wasn't there. I rebooted and some text came up - starting 'watch dog' and...