Windows 10: Keep updated copy full backup with Macrium on Cloud for emgcy?

Discus and support Keep updated copy full backup with Macrium on Cloud for emgcy? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I do regular backups of my desktop to usb drives using Macrium Workstation Edition. I am concerned about data protection in fire or flood since my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by mlg, Sep 18, 2017.

1. MLG
    mlg Win User

Keep updated copy full backup with Macrium on Cloud for emgcy?

I do regular backups of my desktop to usb drives using Macrium Workstation Edition. I am concerned about data protection in fire or flood since my backups are on premises and I've nowhere else to store them. Once a backup is completed by Macrium the file can only be read by a Macrium program. One full system backup is about 5gb.

I'm looking for a way to upload the entire Macrium Backup File to a cloud WITHOUT any encryption during upload or download. I spoke with Macrium and they said their backup file would fail to restore if it has been encrypted/decrypted. Every cloud backup service I've found seems to encrypt at least at one point (or more) along the path from the local machine to the cloud and back again. I'm looking for a cloud backup space that doesn't do this. Although my Macrium files would not be extremely secure, I don't need the extra security. I need the off site protection from things like fire and flood.

Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated. Is this a viable idea - at least in concept?

Thanks

:)

2. Rohn007 Win User

What is the best way to do BACKUP in Windows 10 on an HP x360 laptop?

Yes I recommend the 2 separate backups approach. A full Image copy backup, either using the Win 7 backup or Macrium. This is to primarily capture your OS, but it can also capture your personal data files. Personally I prefer Macrium so that I can create
    a bootable USB/DVD disk to run the restore from, just in case of a "worst case" problem. Yes, File History is only intended for your "personal" data files. It requires an external drive, like a SD card or USB drive. File history is 'automatic' and constant,
    while Win7/Macrium is a long interval manual process. Unfortunately for me File History is not working. For some reason is it not recognizing the option for it to automatically delete files when space is needed, so it keeps whining about no space on my backup
    drive. There is a 3rd option. That is to use OneDrive. It will automatically backup your defined folders to the cloud. That is if you don't mind sharing your personal files with the cloud.

Rohn007, Sep 18, 2017
  3. How to create a system image in Windows 10 ?

Built-in File History, Windows Backup and Image Backup are having a lot of problems. I'd use a better, more flexible app like free Macrium which just works.

File backup:
    http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/B...

Image backup:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7363/macrium-re...

In addition I'd have a secondary cloud backup that keeps your files safest from fire and theft:

You can drag 5gb for free into OneDrive app to store in the cloud where they are safe from fire and theft.

If you install Google Drive, you can use their new Backup to choose User folders (Documents, Pictures, etc.) to sync up to 15g for free to their cloud.

Or you can also drag or copy them to a USB external or flash drive.

Here's how to drag, copy or move large groups of files:
    https://www.pcworld.com/article/2086566/the-man...

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Sep 18, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Given the relative slow speed of internet transfer, you would be looking at hours - pushing into days - of upload and download time. Hard drives are much more durable that USB flash drives. I would look at an external hard drive stored in a fire safe.

NavyLCDR, Sep 18, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    This rather depends on speed of internet and size of image. On my internet, I can upload around 4GB per hour. My image backup drive is around 20GB.

OP states his backup image is only 5GB, so with a modest upload would only take five hours or so - easily done overnight.

Actually, I do not follow OP's point about encryption - it does not matter if uploader encrypts on way to cloud, as download reverses encryption ie downloaded file would be identical to original.

If image is only 5GB, that cannot be OS drive but data drive I assume?

Backing up OS drive is less critical of course. Backing up data is critical.

In fact, I am not sure Macrium is best solution for data backup.

I would simply create onedrive folders junction linked to actual data folders, then as data is changed, it is automatically synced to onedrive. See recent tutorial how to do this.

Even if OP spends a few nights uploading initial data, once done, it should not be a major overhead handling changes only.

cereberus, Sep 18, 2017
  6. That is interesting, since the encryption does not alter files in any way. *Shock
    Considering, that all version support an inbuilt decryption, that is odd.
    Macrium Reflect 7 Home Edition | DiskImageWorks.com

Well, one more reason not to recommend Macrium.

THIS ^^^

I have transferred 200GB via TeamViewer in 3 days, a few hours a day, it depends on OP's upload speed.
    That is questionable. I prefer USB, because you can throw it around, even put in water and it will last. HDD on the other hand are very sensitive, even if you use 2.5" without an external adapter and you can not tell, if it is getting damaged until backups are corrupted. USB either works or not, mine work for 10 years already.

TairikuOkami, Sep 18, 2017
  7. MLG
    mlg Win User
    I have Verizon Fios Gigabit and actually am getting about 900 up. Therefore, I thought it wouldn't take an overwhelming amount of time to upload the whole image. This is only in case of some disaster - if the image I had available was several days old I think I'd still be very happy
    OP states his backup image is only 5GB, so with a modest upload would only take five hours or so - easily done overnight
    Really sorry - I left off a few digits. Full image backup is 500 GB. In addition to my day job I do photography and keep copies of all my original RAW shots. The OS is part of that but is on the same disk as the photo editing software. Adobe insists and makes your life miserable if it's any other way *Smile
    Actually, I do not follow OP's point about encryption - it does not matter if uploader encrypts on way to cloud, as download reverses encryption ie downloaded file would be identical to original.b
    I originally called Macrium asking if they provided such a service for the safekeeping of their backups. I described my "disaster plan". The tech told me the image wouldn't be viable even after it was de-crypted, but it doesn't make sense and might be worth a try.If image is only 5GB, that cannot be OS drive but data drive I assume?
    see my answer above - mistake - it's 500GBBacking up OS drive is less critical of course. Backing up data is critical.
    In fact, I am not sure Macrium is best solution for data backup.Ws
    What makes you hesitate about using Macrium for data backup? For the past several years (previous computer), I used usb hard drives (alternated two or three). I did full backup, 6 or 7 differentials, and then a new full backup etc. On several occasions I was able to get back a file I'd deleted or changed. And on at least two occasions I was able to replace my drive C with a larger drive and cloned the new one from a Macrium backup

During most of those years I also used Crash Plan as a continuous cloud backup. But I was unhappy with its insistence on using the C drive for installation and encryption - took too many resources as well as putting a lot of wear on an SSD. So now that I have a new computer I'm looking for an alternate solution.
    I would simply create onedrive folders junction linked to actual data folders, then as data is changed, it is automatically synced to onedrive. See recent tutorial how to do this.
    ​Afraid I'm completely at a loss. What is onedrive? I have a vague idea of junctions. Is the tutorial amongst Brink's tutorials or elsewhere?'

Thanks so much for your thoughts and suggestions. Even if OP spends a few nights uploading initial data, once done, it should not be a major overhead handling changes only.[/QUOTE]
    BTW - I tried to follow the quote and answer format but kept being told my answer was only three words long so please forgive me if this isn't properly formatted.

8. RolandJS Win User

"...create onedrive folders junction linked to actual data folders, then as data is changed, it is automatically synced to onedrive..." To some purists, that is a replication process, not a backup process.

RolandJS, Sep 19, 2017
  9. SoFine409 Win User
    You could get a small stand alone drive, make a full back up and the store the whole drive at a neighbors or relatives house.

SoFine409, Sep 19, 2017
  10. cereberus Win User
    OP- your backup strategy is very basic and this leads to a very inefficient backup strategy.

You only need to image the system drive containing OS and progs - typically around 50GB unless lots of programs.

Vast majority of your info is data.

If you keep that data on a separate drive or partition, it keeps the system image lean and mean.

Then all you need to do is continually sync the separate data directly to cloud (onedrive is great for this and with yoyr fast upload speed quite feasible) and it will always be quick once initial syncing is done.

You obviously have been given duff advice due to misunderstanding with Macrium. An image backup file is just a file like any other. Backing it up to cloud and retrieving it will not affect file in any way.

cereberus, Sep 19, 2017
  11. MLG
    mlg Win User
    Thanks for your suggestions.
    Although I'm aware that the ideal is to keep the OS on drive C, data elsewhere and, since I have a desktop with several SSDs, even most programs on another drive.
    The reality of my work life is such that the major programs I use demand to be run from Drive C and to keep at least some of their data there as well. This includes a patient notes and billing program (I'm in the health field and have to do electronic billing), as well as Adobe LightRoom and PhotoShop, a sync program I use to sync Outlook to my Android....and a few others. Even Macrium put out their last update to look for the program and drive C and refuse to install it it wasn't there!

I don't have an email account with Microsoft because I'm trying to keep them out of my business and my computer. However, I could be "bribed". I'm assuming if I look on the Microsoft Win 10 site I will find the necessary information as to how to create onedrive folders junction linked to actual data folders which would be automatically synced to onedrive.when the data changes. If there's a particularly good/thorough descriptions of setting this up, please send the link.

Is it possible to turn the sync system on and off? Once the initial upload is complete I would rather turn on sync when I go to bed and let it run rather than having it running on the machine all the time. My FIOS gigabit connection allows for very fast uploads.

Thanks for all your help and I'm almost there.....

12. cereberus Win User
    cereberus, Sep 22, 2017
  13. MLG
    mlg Win User

Thanks for the links. I'll read the tutorials and see where I go from there.

I'm running Office 2010 Prof with Access and Outlook etc., which I purchased for my previous computer which was running Win 7. I'll see the price of extra space because I feel no need for a newer version of Office except for the extra storage space I might get.

Thanks and I'll post again as I go along.

14. Clintlgm Win User
    Even better now they are coming on the market with 2TB and larger SSD in the 2.5 format and even smaller format Samsung T5 format I would think these would be water proof and data safe for a very long time with no moving parts my guess also would be that they would survive a fire in a fire safe.

Clintlgm, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Keep updated copy full backup with Macrium on Cloud for emgcy? - Similar Threads - Keep updated copy

2. Modified Macrium backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Modified Macrium backup: Dell Inspiron 15 5565, Win 10 Home I want to create a Mactium backup, but it's going to be huge unless I can properly modify it. I tried to use a USB with 28gb free space as the destination, but it wasn't enough [img] My first question is can I just image the first 4...
  3. Macrium backup question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium backup question: [img] Can someone tell me if that one box marked in red is something to ignore in the backup process. Thanks. 126596
  4. macrium backup failed

macrium backup failed: hello all after months of doing a image backup , today my marcium backup failed , i have tried several times to do a backup, and a [img] [img] reboot ( before i do the 1809 ) update any suggestions welcomed 123956
  5. Question on Macrium backups

Question on Macrium backups: Thanks for thinking about answering my question! I currently have the following backup plan for my laptop - full backup on Sunday, then Differential every other day of the week. So in the case of a failure, I just have to restore the Sunday Full and the latest Differential...
  6. Macrium Backup error

Macrium Backup error: I was getting system hanging problem in my windows 10 for quite a days (my system is dual boot with two hard disk, one XP and other Windows 10). I already have macrium backup image but I tried to take a new backup of my windows 10 system drives with the free version from...
  7. Macrium installation & backup

Macrium installation & backup: Hello Forum, An hour ago I installed Macrium, after instl. it made (burned) a rescue dvd. I am trying to make my first backup to the system, but first I want to consult with my 'teachers', After installation please see screenshot "macrium - 01.jpg", there are 2 disks, C:...
  8. Backup & Restore with Macrium

Backup & Restore with Macrium: Hello, Thanks for the answers. Searching I found this long explanation which made me more confused http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/201...-way-with.html and I have lot of questions since, 1. Have one full instl. file "reflect_setup_free_x86(6.1.1081).exe size 39.502...
  9. Macrium backup

Macrium backup: I have made a backup of my hard drive from my old computer with macruim reflect. It is a backup of a few installed applications and software packages but more importantly it is a copy of windows 10 professional with digital entitlement. I plan to buy a new laptop and am...
  10. Doigt only Full Backups under Macrium Reflect Free

Doigt only Full Backups under Macrium Reflect Free: I have just installed Macrium Reflect Free 6.3 and cannot seem to find a way to create only Full backups. I did this on both Acronis and Paragon. How can I set up Reflect to do this? Thank you. 80044