Windows 10: Keep Win 7 until no longer supported then install free Windows 10?

Discus and support Keep Win 7 until no longer supported then install free Windows 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Window 10 forum question July 23, 2016 Hello. Running Win7 x64. With July 29 fast approaching when $M starts charging for Win10 OS upgrade, need... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JamesEJ, Jul 22, 2016.

1. JamesEJ Win User

Keep Win 7 until no longer supported then install free Windows 10?

Window 10 forum question July 23, 2016

Hello. Running Win7 x64. With July 29 fast approaching when $M starts charging for Win10 OS upgrade, need to know this.

Can I now download a win10 ISO to a DVD so that I can keep running Win 7 until its is no longer supported and at that time install the Win10 OS from the ISO without having to pay $M a fee for the Win10 upgrade? *Rolleyes

Thanks Much James

:)

JamesEJ, Jul 22, 2016

2. I am using win7 pro now can I install win 10 with a dual boot

I currently use windows 7 Pro (64 bit). I would like to keep my win 7 pro. until I learn how to use win 10 comfortably,

will I be able to create a dual boot with the new free win 10 and my existing win 7 pro 64 bit install.

Thank you Frank Watson

Frank Watson75, Jul 22, 2016
  3. mlg63 Win User
    Trying unsuccessfully to do a 2nd Win10 install

You cannot enter the win 7 license when you are installing win 10. Win 7 must be activated
    beforeyou begin the win 10 install. Start all over again and activate win 7 first if windows 7 is not activated on either drive. Windows 10 must be installed over your main activated operating system not on a separate drive
    or partition with the same win 7. After the upgrade you will not be able to use or transfer win 7. You lose all rights to windows 7 after the upgrade. If you want to keep windows 7 in a dual boot you will have to buy a windows 10 license and do a clean install.

edit-- you have a problem installing win 10 because of the the other installation. You cannot install it twice. Use the Recovery options on the win 7 on the main boot drive that was upgraded to select rollback to windows 7. Then you can start the upgrade
    again--or not if you decide to keep win 7 instead of upgrading. Rollback is only available for 30 days after the upgrade, so keep that in mind. The free upgrade will still be available until 7/7/16.

mlg63, Jul 22, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

The W10 OS will not activate without a legitimate keycode. So, you'll need to buy a key later on, if you don't upgrade now.

simrick, Jul 22, 2016
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello James, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

I'm afraid not.

To be able to lock in your free upgrade offer to Windows 10, you would need to upgrade to Windows 10 now before the July 29th deadline to get a digital license for Windows 10.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...tallation.html

Afterwards, you could go back to Windows 7 if you wanted, and be able to upgrade or clean install Windows 10 on the PC anytime.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...s-windows.html

Brink, Jul 22, 2016
  6. JamesEJ Win User
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jul 22, 2016
  8. f14tomcat Win User

What a number of people have done is to make a full system image of your windows 7, upgrade it to 10. That will register the digital license with MS for that machine. Then restore your windows 7. Once you have it registered (before 7/29), you can then download an ISO later and install from it. I'm sure there are bits and pieces I have left out, but that's the general idea. TC

f14tomcat, Jul 22, 2016
  9. One solution here in order to keep both 7s until 2020 was buying 10 OEM dvd sets during last Black Friday and setting up two completely different desktops with 10/7 dual boots. On the latest download of iso and direct upgrade on another machine I built for a family member to run 7 originally that saw the 7 wallpaper and all apps intact upon arriving at the 10 desktop. That saw the Digital Entitlement form of activation to grab the free upgrade.

Another guide if you are looking for simply seeing a full fresh install of 10 and still take advantage of the free offer until 7/29 7.59pm Redding time that is can be looked over as well. The guide explains how to preserve the 7 Genuine Ticket activation to see transferred over to 10. Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First - Windows 10 Forums

Night Hawk, Jul 22, 2016
  10. ICIT2LOL Win User
    hmm well I got one OEM from one of my usual suppliers at $222 inc shipping and have another offer ate $135 which if they have got it right in the ad I shall get as a spare ($135) at these sorts of prices that re being offered at the moment frankly I find the grief of trying to get it free rather tiresome.

After all in reality there is no such thing as free lunch and I am guessing 10 will be no exception.

ICIT2LOL, Jul 23, 2016
  11. cereberus Win User
    Who is $M - no such company as far as I know?

cereberus, Jul 23, 2016
  12. f14tomcat Win User
    Same as M$, he just switched it around.

f14tomcat, Jul 23, 2016
  13. NovHak Win User

Of course there are reasons why it's free for 7 and 8 users, it's because they want people to leave the old Windows branches as soon as possible, so that only the (supposedly) definitive one remains. Less people on 7 and 8 likely means reduced budget on support and maybe even a sooner extended support termination.

NovHak, Jul 23, 2016
  14. JamesEJ Win User
    Right! the $ stands for money as in a us dollar & M stands for Microsoft. meaning simply Money Microsoft which originally is all that it was after from all of us. Shareholder demands & that.*Smile

Thanks very much guys for all the well meaning help. I am really Gratified for your info & efforts. Really am!!

OK, so without a $M key-code (right now, that is) an ISO download is currently ineffective to be able to install a win10 OS. So If I take my chances, and download anyway in the hope His Highness Gates Just over the hill here in Seattle, Washington, becomes kind & considerate to us lower income beings several years from now, how much space will this ISO take-up in my wee little HD.

I'd rather save it to a dvd for safe keeping, and that.

Your thoughts are very well appreciated guys. tid bits are also very welcome. Thanks much, Jim

JamesEJ, Jul 24, 2016
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    Microsoft gave you an entire year to upgrade your Windows 7 for free to Windows 10. If you didn't like Windows 10, then you just go back to Windows 7. And heck, then 5 years from now if you were finally tired of your Windows 7, since you upgraded once to Windows 10 you could go back to Windows 10 still for free on that same computer. I mean just how generous do you want Microsoft to be? It's not their fault you are too stubborn to just back up your Windows 7 and do an upgrade to Windows 10 now while it is free and then go back to Windows 7 if you don't like it. Maybe you don't understand that once you upgrade to Windows 10 you can go back and forth between Windows 7 and Windows 10 on that same computer as many times as you want - and it's free as long as you do the first upgrade before July 29th.

The ISO file will take about 4 GB for you to store.

NavyLCDR, Jul 24, 2016
Thema:

1. Keep Win 7 until no longer supported then install free Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Keep until longer

2. Installing Win 10 over Win 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing Win 10 over Win 7: Hi.My Laptop Dell Latitude has Windows 7 Ultimate with software i have installed such as games and music production software.I can upgrade to Win 10 from Microsoft. The lap top can run Win 10 because i have two of them. One has 10 installed but the drive has dislodged and...
  3. Is it possible to upgrade Windows 7 to Win 10 for Free if Windows 7 version is OEM or is a...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is it possible to upgrade Windows 7 to Win 10 for Free if Windows 7 version is OEM or is a...: I may just do a full fresh Win 10 install instead of upgrading from 7 since the online upgrade has repeatedly failed. I have noticed though that many people have posted that Product ID 00359-OEM-8992687-00249 the ID on his computer is an unauthorized version of Windows...
  4. Using Windows 10 free upgrade for Win. 7

Using Windows 10 free upgrade for Win. 7: Hi, first, let me say I am not the smartest guy when it comes to computers. I am trying to use the free upgrade to Win. 10 on my Win. 7 pc that is here under the tutorial forum. Last night, I started the download for Win.10 installation media,and it went along without a...
  5. No longer supported in windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    No longer supported in windows 10: Folder views. You used to be able to select large, medium and small icon/picture view and details. You could sort by date even. This is no longer supported or obvious. WHY? 114620
  6. Free Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 - still waiting

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Free Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 - still waiting: My wife finally cracked and asked me to get her Laptop upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 for free - it was July 27. Clicked on the white windows upgrade icon in the system tray and was advised that the upgrade had been reserved/confirmed. I'm not usually impatient and I guess...
  7. Installed Win 7 on Mac. Can I get free Win 10 for an upgraded computer

in Windows 10 Support
    Installed Win 7 on Mac. Can I get free Win 10 for an upgraded computer: Hello, I installed Windows 7 Professional 64bit on the Windows partition of a Macbook Pro via Bootcamp. I am selling that computer and going to erase that Windows partition. I know that Win 7 can be upgraded to Win10 for free. Can I use this opportunity to get Win 10 for...
  8. Still no end to free upgrade to win 10 from Win 7!

Still no end to free upgrade to win 10 from Win 7!: Just bought a pre-loved laptop for Mrs (Sheelba, as I like to think of her) for our 34th Wedding anniversary. She already has a pre-hated android tablet which she won't use 'cos it hates her back too! I saw the Dell Latitude E6400 on Tuesday, and bought it the next day,...
  9. Win 10 to SSD No free install

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 to SSD No free install: Hello, I am running an unauthorized version of Win 7 64 in my PC. I have two sata hard drives using Casper to clone. I am buying a Samsung 2.5-Inch 500 GB 850 EVO Solid State Drive. I want to buy Windows Ten and install it, and most of my Apps on the SSD, keeping everything...
  10. The Free Windows 10 Will Support Unlimited Clean Installs

in Windows 10 News
    The Free Windows 10 Will Support Unlimited Clean Installs: Windows 10 will be offered free of charge to those who upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, but since a genuine product key is automatically upgraded to Windows 10 once you complete the transition, many wondered whether a clean install is possible or not. Microsoft has...