Windows 10: Laptop appears as Media device

Discus and support Laptop appears as Media device in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; We just bought a new Laptop. In networking it shows as a Media Device not a computer and I cannot connect to it. 134055 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by iamjim, Jun 4, 2019.

1. iamjim Win User

Laptop appears as Media device

We just bought a new Laptop. In networking it shows as a Media Device not a computer and I cannot connect to it.

:)

iamjim, Jun 4, 2019
  2. Bree Win User

Installation media boots to command prompt

I've just booted from known working install media to see exactly what it does when booting. The sequence of events is...

1. Windows logo on a black screen
    2. circling dots appear beneath the logo
    3. light blue 'Please wait' screen with circling dots
    4. a command prompt window (very briefly)
    5. the initial Setup page appears

Do you see steps 1-3? If so, it appears you have stopped at step 4, suggesting that something on the disc cannot be read.

Does the disc boot properly in another machine? If so, try cleaning the laptop's drive lens then try booting from the disc again.

If not, make new install media with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, either as a bootable USB, on an ISO that you can burn to another disc. At Step 8 in Option One of this tutorial you can choose between making a USB or an ISO.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

Bree, Jun 4, 2019
  3. Computer appears on network only as Media Device

I have two computers, a desktop and a laptop, whose files I want to share over a network. This was possible until the recent OS revisions. I have followed the current instructions for file sharing/networking--setting permissions, etc. On both computers
    only the desktop appears in File Explorer listed under Network/Computer(s). The laptop appears only under Media Devices and I am unable to access any but media (video, music and picture) files. Any assistance would be appreciated.

TerryPetersen1, Jun 4, 2019
  4. Laptop appears as Media device

Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front

Follow either of these steps to fix the issue with the Active window hiding behind.

Method 1:
    I suggest you to disable window by hovering over it with the mouse and check if it helps. To do so I suggest you to try the below given steps and check if it helps:

1. Press Windows key + X key and click on Control Panel.
    2. Select or click Ease of Access.
    3. Click or tap onEase of Access Centre.
    4. Click on Make the Mouse Easier to Use was uncheck Activate Window by hovering over it with the mouse.
    5. Check if issue is resolved.
    Method 2:
    I would suggest you to completely uninstall the touchpad driver and reinstall it. Kindly follow the below given steps.

1. Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Device Manager”.
    2. In the list of devices, you should see the touchpad drivers.
    3. Right click on the device and then select "Uninstall".
    4. In the uninstall dialog, make sure you select the option to delete the driver package from the system. This causes the driver package installed earlier to be deleted.
    5. In the Action menu of Device manager, select “Scan for Hardware changes” option. This will cause the device driver to be reinstalled. Once the driver is installed, close all windows and restart the computer.

ChojiTiger, Jun 4, 2019
Thema:

Laptop appears as Media device

1. Laptop appears as Media device - Similar Threads - Laptop appears Media

2. Ugreen storage device appears on the device list but doesn't appear on this pc

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Ugreen storage device appears on the device list but doesn't appear on this pc: i used a enclosure on the ssd of another laptop and connected it to my laptop but after putting the ssd on the enclosure and looking on file explorer i cannot find the ssd with all the files of the previous computer...
  3. No Bluetooth Devices Appearing.

No Bluetooth Devices Appearing.: Was trying to connect some headphones to my laptop, but they didn't show up in the "add a device" menu... Tried connecting a mouse, some different headphones, and no devices show up. Tried updating drivers, restarting Bluetooth services, everything I could find, and still not...
  4. Network drive attached to TPlink 2300 router appears as a media device

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network drive attached to TPlink 2300 router appears as a media device: I've spent ages trying to get a Samsung T5 drive attached by USB to my TPLink 2300 router to work as networked storage over my wireless network. My laptop PCs apparently see the drive as a media device (MiniDLNA) and although I can see all the folders only files such as jpg...
  5. Multi Media devices

Multi Media devices: My Devices are showing up as Multi Media Devices 17 they are all the same BRCM-DMS:2 can i delete the other 16 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multi-media-devices/497139bb-df66-49e7-8816-f8391493e83f
  6. Digital media device

Digital media device: I have just purchased a pair of KEF LS50W wireless speakers. I have successfully connected them to my home WiFi network, and can use the KEF Stream app to access and play music files on my desktop PC. But what I cannot do is connect to the speakers from my PC. They are...
  7. unknown devices appears in networks and devices

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    unknown devices appears in networks and devices: [IMG][ATTACH]Hello, when I type in the search bar (bottom left of the screen) Networks and Devices (View Computers and Networks and more below Control Panel) my router appears but there is also, and this often , another device, Sometimes it's a cell phone (named Shamu,...
  8. NAS device shows as Media device

NAS device shows as Media device: I have some NAS devices attached to my home network. When Win 10 boots up it correctly identifies them as NAS devices But when I return to my machine after a period away the NAS devices have been classed as Media devices and so cannot be accessed In this case I have to...
  9. Computer appears on network only as Media Device

Computer appears on network only as Media Device: I have two computers, a desktop and a laptop, whose files I want to share over a network. This was possible until the recent OS revisions. I have followed the current instructions for file sharing/networking--setting permissions, etc. On both computers only the desktop...
  10. Remove Media Devices

Remove Media Devices: Our desktop used to be our only PC. Everyone had an account and logged in to use it. We now all have our own notebooks. I removed all the accounts on the PC but the main admin. We have upgraded to Windows 10. I notice under windows explorer/network there are still old media...