Windows 10: Laptop doesn't finish to shutdown

Discus and support Laptop doesn't finish to shutdown in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, after doing a windows update some weeks ago, my laptop startet to not shutdown properly: simply it remains on the screen "windows is shutting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by flastica, Jul 27, 2017.

1. flastica Win User

Laptop doesn't finish to shutdown

Hello,
    after doing a windows update some weeks ago, my laptop startet to not shutdown properly: simply it remains on the screen "windows is shutting down" forever (I left it there a whole night but nothing changed)
    I tried already some solutions found on the web like disabling super user, updating intel management service ecc but nothing works for now.
    Can you give me some advice? Thanks in advance.

:)

flastica, Jul 27, 2017

2. Laptop doesn't shutdown

After requesting to shut down my laptop, it goes through the step as if shutting down, but then it goes back to my desktop and I can continue working if I wanted to.

I also get:

"Runtime Error!"

C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe

OrlandoOchoa, Jul 27, 2017
  3. shut down and sleep simultaneously

Hi,

When someone pressed the shutdown button and also closes the lid of the laptop, it will be put to sleep. Provided that the process for shutting down the laptop isn't finished before the lid closes.

Regards.

Eugene deV, Jul 27, 2017
  4. Laptop doesn't finish to shutdown

Hi flastica. Welcome to the TenForums @flastica

As a test, the next time you shutdown could you please first hold down the shift key and then click shutdown.

Did this change behaviour?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 27, 2017
  5. flastica Win User
    Thanks for the welcome!
    I tried but it's the same as always

flastica, Jul 27, 2017
  6. Interesting. At command prompt(admin) could you run

SFC /scannow

just as a quick check.

There is a process known as an in place repair / upgrade. It fixes a lot of issues and while you don't get to diagnose root cause my goal is get it working.

I always recommend backing up data off machine and making an Image with a tool like Macrium Reflect (tutorial in library).

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Read warning if you decide to use this approach.

Let's see what sfc finds.

Does Reliability History (type this into Cortana Search) give any insights as to what it is waiting on. When you click shutdown there is also a screen that shows you apps that haven't closed. Are any reporting.

Another thought you be to do a Clean boot and then a shutdown to see if it is a third party software issue. If the problem persists it is Windows, if problem clears it is third party software. Then follow the instruction to determine exact app.

Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 27, 2017
  7. flastica Win User
    - SFC / scannow shows nothing wrong.
    - Reliability History shows an APP CRASH today of Wondershare Appservice ( a video editing app that should have been uninstalled but I guess i left something. I completed the task)
    - I tried to do a clean boot BUT I couldn't complete it since the laptop won't restart (waited 10 minutes before forcing it).

flastica, Jul 28, 2017
  8. Laptop doesn't finish to shutdown

Have you been able to do Clean Boot?

Caledon Ken, Jul 28, 2017
  9. flastica Win User
    As a said I couldn't since the pc needs to restart to apply all the changes, but mine doesn't work for now with shutdown/restart...

flastica, Jul 28, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Do you have any useful system restore points? Given your symptoms, you might first check what restore points you have (if any), then rather than invoking system restore when your PC is booted normally, instead, boot from a Win 10 install disk, and via 'Repair your computer', navigate to System Restore and try from there.

It may or may not work.. no guarantees. System restore sometimes doesn't work when you need it anyway.

Would I be correct in assuming you haven't yet started to use disk imaging routinely, as we strongly and frequently recommend?
    Having disk images means you can rescue your PC and restore it to a previous working state even if the disk fails- without technical help.

Also run some checks on your disk.
    Download and run Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and post a screenshot of its GUI.

If ok, then
    From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    or
    How to read Event Viewer log for Chkdsk in Windows 10 [Tip] | Reviews, news, tips, and tricks | dotTechdotTech
    or
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

dalchina, Jul 28, 2017
  11. Okay.

Have you backed your personal data up off machine?

So if you make the changes to do a Clean Boot and then force the power down, on the next boot it does not do a Clean Boot?

Before you shut down could you go to task manager and see if you have any apps running or any Background processes running related to Wondershare.

Any chance this issue started when you removed Wondershare?

I might just skip the Clean Boot and head right to the the in place repair upgrade. Have your Data backed up. Do not skip this step, please.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 28, 2017
  12. flastica Win User
    @dalchina
    Yes you're correct, I haven't ever used disk imaging.
    For harddisk sentinel: I have a Samsung SSD 850 EVo 250GB
    -performance 100%
    - health 98%
    and it says that it doesn't need any particular action.

Right now I'm away from home and I cannot backup my data (I'll be able in 2 days tho). When I made the changes and forced the shutdown, they weren't applied..
    I don't think wondershare was the problem since I uninstalled it 3 months ago or so, but I saw an app related to wondershare in the background processes. Now it's not there anymore but the problem persist.

This was just for answering you for now.. I'll try the advice from Dalchina tomorrow

flastica, Jul 28, 2017
  13. flastica Win User

I tried the chkdsk but it tells me:
    The file system type is NTFS.
    Impossible to block the current unit.

Impossible to run Chkdsk. The volume is being used by another process. Program the check of this volume at the next restart of the system? (S/N)

(These are not the exact words since I'm translating from italian but I should have got the important things).
    I'm currently doing a backup.

flastica, Jul 30, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    Simply follow the prompt chkdsk offers - and restart.
    That's why I carefully stated this (twice):
    Of course chkdsk can't correct a file system which is in use - C:, Windows.
    That's why it has to run when Windows isn't running (to correct errors).

As you will see from my instructions, there is information as to how to get the results after the PC has rebooted.

So do exactly what it tells you. What you're worried about is simply information and logically correct.

You can scan your file system with chkdsk while logged in (different option). But you can't make corrections to it.

dalchina, Jul 30, 2017
  15. flastica Win User
    Ah sorry I misunderstood. Anyway, I tried again but as stated before my laptop won't shutdown/restart. It remains forever on the screen "restart on going".

flastica, Jul 30, 2017
Thema:

1. Laptop doesn't finish to shutdown - Similar Threads - Laptop doesn't finish

2. Laptop doesn't charge in shutdown mode.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop doesn't charge in shutdown mode.: My laptop doesn't charge in the shutdown mode or when the lid is closed. What is the proper way to fix this issue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-doesnt-charge-in-shutdown-mode/c7148f7b-b1fb-443c-bc40-224d7f7371ab
  3. Laptop doesn't charge in shutdown mode.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop doesn't charge in shutdown mode.: My laptop doesn't charge in the shutdown mode or when the lid is closed. What is the proper way to fix this issue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-doesnt-charge-in-shutdown-mode/c7148f7b-b1fb-443c-bc40-224d7f7371ab
  4. Maintenance in Progress - doesn't finish

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Maintenance in Progress - doesn't finish: For the last week the Auto daily maintenance program does not finish but is continuously running https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/maintenance-in-progress-doesnt-finish/107f3bba-5395-447e-a8d7-4a982e8804c6
  5. Maintenance in Progress - doesn't finish

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Maintenance in Progress - doesn't finish: For the last week the Auto daily maintenance program does not finish but is continuously running https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/maintenance-in-progress-doesnt-finish/107f3bba-5395-447e-a8d7-4a982e8804c6
  6. PHOTOS App doesn't finish exporting

in Windows 10 Customization
    PHOTOS App doesn't finish exporting: Morning I've tried repeated times to create a video on the Photos App but it only ever gets half way exported then seems to freeze. I read a few bits online and think I reinstalled the app but no joy. Have seen something about needing to upgrade drivers but I don't know...
  7. automatic shutdown after a download is finished

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    automatic shutdown after a download is finished: I want my pc to automatically shut down after the ongoing download is finished. How can I do that? Please help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/automatic-shutdown-after-a-download-is-finished/7cd1483a-68bd-48a0-9bd0-b844dda700e7
  8. Shutdown doesn't work

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shutdown doesn't work: When I press shutdown, it just restarts back to the lock screen and says for some reason my pin is unavailable and makes me enter my password, if I try to shutdown again after this, the screen remains off but my keyboard RGB and the power button stays on. This has been...
  9. Windows 10 doesn't finish the update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 doesn't finish the update: Hello, I have Windows 10.0.18356.1 and try to update to Windows 10.0.18362.1. The system is going through "configuring update", then through "getting things ready" and then suddenly restarts and logs to my account, without finishing the update. It says that update failed...
  10. Laptop doesn't start once put to sleep or shutdown.

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop doesn't start once put to sleep or shutdown.: Hello guys! I believe that you will be well aware of the problem that occurs in laptop that it doesn't starts if shutdown or sleep then you would have to remove the battery and press the power button for 10-20 seconds, this is the problem with me only thing is that i have to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows doesnt finish shutdown