Windows 10: Laptop doesn't shut down properly

Discus and support Laptop doesn't shut down properly in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Over the past week, I realized whenever I would turn my laptop on, it would state that it was charging, which was weird since it stayed plugged in to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by djdelarosa25, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Laptop doesn't shut down properly

Over the past week, I realized whenever I would turn my laptop on, it would state that it was charging, which was weird since it stayed plugged in to an outlet all of the time. I tried to find what was causing this and it turns out, my laptop does not shut down properly. After shutting down via the OS, my laptop's screen would turn black but I could still feel heat being blown out of the exhaust. I searched the web for solutions and already did what was suggested: disabling Fast Startup in Power Options in the Control Panel. I have also reset the BIOS to its default settings. The problem still persists. Please help!

:)

djdelarosa25, Feb 8, 2018

2. Laptop fails to shut down/restart/sleep after upgrading to Windows 10

Hey all,

After upgrading to the Windows 10 OS, my laptop does not shut down or go into sleep mode properly. When I go to shut down the computer, the screen just goes black and the power light stays on, then when I think it has shut down, my laptop is actually dead,
    due to the fact that it doesn't shut down properly.

If anybody knows what to do or has any tips, that would be greatly appreciated.

Alex

Durdella21, Feb 8, 2018
  3. Laptop doesn't shut down/start up properly

Hi mark,

We would like to know more information regarding the shutdown/startup performance issue that you are currently experiencing. For better assistance, please answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes to your computer other than reinstalling Windows 10?
    • What is the version of your Windows 10?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Do you have a third party antivirus software installed?

Regards.

Dennis Mop, Feb 8, 2018
  4. cereberus Win User

Laptop doesn't shut down properly

Try using alt+f4, shutdown.

cereberus, Feb 8, 2018
  5. Kari Win User
    After every clean and upgrade install, I have the same issue. The solution in my case, on two different Intel based laptops, has been to disable (unselect) Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power in Device Manager > System Devices > Intel Management Engine Interface:

Laptop doesn't shut down properly [​IMG]

If that option is enabled, laptop does not shut down properly. As soon as I disable it, shut down works.

Kari, Feb 8, 2018
  6. My laptop does not have the 'Power Management' tab. What do I do?

7. dalchina New Member
    Could you post a screenshot to confirm what you're seeing please?
    To post a screenshot, please use the icon above your post to the left of the video icon.

- sounds as if something is using more power than it should be... my laptop fan very rarely runs in normal use.

dalchina, Feb 8, 2018
  8. Laptop doesn't shut down properly

Laptop doesn't shut down properly [​IMG]

Well, I set my laptop's cooling policy to Active when it is plugged in via Power Options in Control Panel. Maybe that's why the fans are almost always running.

9. EdTittel Win User
    Many things to observe about this phenomenon:
    1. You must be logged in with Administrative privileges: if you log in with a standard user account, the Power Management tab does not appear in Device Manager. Alternatively, you can try booting into the machine in Safe Mode to see if that makes a difference (tutorial link).
    2. You might have to reboot your machine and check the BIOS or UEFI to make sure power management is enabled therein. You can do this by going to Settings --> Recovery --> Advanced startup --> Restart now, then selecting "Change your PC's firmware settings" (though you'll only be inspecting them, and changing them if you must).
    3. Check Rob Brown's post to this answers.microsoft.com thread on this issue for his excellent additional advice.
    4. Check to see if there's an update available for the version of the Intel Management Engine for your PC. This will require some careful fitting to your chipset. Please update your "My computer" system specs to make sure we know what make and model of Dell laptop is causing the issue. Or, you could download and run the Dell SupportAssist program and have it look for drivers on your behalf. My Dell boxes are currently running version 2.0.6875.668. You can download this program from SupportAssist for PCs at Home | Dell United States
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 8, 2018
  10. zbook New Member
    zbook, Feb 9, 2018
  11. 1. I am in an Administrator account. The problem persists.
    2. USB Wake Support is enabled in my BIOS. The problem persists.
    3. Same as above.
    4. Driver is the latest version. I even checked on the manufacturer's website. The problem persists.

djdelarosa25, Feb 10, 2018
  12. zbook New Member
    For the test / steps please post images into the thread.
    If there are problems posting images please use one drive, drop box, or google share links.

1) Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    2) sfc /scannow
    3) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    4) chkdsk /scan
    5) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread

6) Run HD Tune:
    HD Tune website
    Post images for these 3 tests:
    a) Health (SMART)
    b) Benchmark
    c) Full error scan

7) Run memtest86+ version 5.01 for at least 8 passes. Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool
    This may take hours so plan to run it overnight.
    a) Please make sure you use the Memtest86+ version 5.01 with the link below.
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool
    The testing is done not by time but by passes.
    The more passes the better.
    There are a significant number of false negatives if fewer than 8 passes are made.
    A false negative is a test pass when there is malfunctioning RAM.
    There is 8 GB of RAM on the computer.
    Memtest86+ version 5.01 testing takes approximately 1 - 2 hours /GB RAM
    Just 1 error is a fail and you can abort testing.
    Then test 1 RAM module at a time in the same DIMM each for 8 or more passes.
    b) When Memtest86+ has completed 8 or more passes use a camera or smart phone camera to take a picture and post an image into the thread.
    Memory problems. - Microsoft Community
    MemTest86+ - Test RAM BSOD Tutorials

8) Turn off Windows fast startup:
    Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

9) In the left lower corner search type: system > open system control panel > on the left pane click advanced system settings > under startup and recovery click settings > un-check the box for automatically restart

10) Download and install Whocrashed:
    Resplendence Software - WhoCrashed, automatic crash dump analyzer
    11) Above analyze > click on tools > click crash dump test > type: ACCEPT
    12) Click analyze > post an image into the thread
    13) After the above steps run this version of the log collector and post a zip into this thread:
    log collector v2-beta08.zip

14) Choose one of the temperature monitoring software applications: Speecy, HW monitor, Speed fan:Speccy - Free Download - Piriform: Speccy - System Information - Free
    Speccy - System Information - Free Download
    HWMONITOR | Softwares | CPUID: HWMONITOR | Softwares | CPUID
    HWMONITOR | Softwares | CPUID
    SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer: SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer
    SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer

15) Open the website for the computer manufacturer > enter the product or serial number > select the operating system > view drivers and BIOS > post a URL or hyperlink into the thread

16) The BIOS: Version/Date Dell Inc. A07, 11/9/2015 SMBIOS Version 2.8
    Please check to see that the BIOS is up to date.

17) Please create a brand new restore point.

18) Open Ccleaner > click windows tab > scroll down to system and advanced > post an image into the thread
    19) In the left lower corner search type: clean > open disk cleanup > scroll up and down > post images into the thread.

20) Open the Dell website:
    Resolve Hardware Issues With Built-in and Online Diagnostics (ePSA or PSA Error Codes) | Dell US
    Perform the full Dell diagnostics for the computer and post a report /image into the thread.

Code: Event[1038]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger Date: 2018-01-15T20:12:57.871 Event ID: 19 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: S-1-5-19 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE Computer: DEEJAY Description: A corrected hardware error has occurred.Reported by component: Processor CoreError Source: Corrected Machine CheckError Type: Internal parity errorProcessor APIC ID: 0The details view of this entry contains further information.[/quote] Code: Event[7358]: Log Name: System Source: ACPI Date: 2018-02-10T20:32:45.699 Event ID: 13 Task: N/A Level: Error Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: DEEJAY Description: : The embedded controller (EC) did not respond within the specified timeout period. This may indicate that there is an error in the EC hardware or firmware or that the BIOS is accessing the EC incorrectly. You should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS. In some situations, this error may cause the computer to function incorrectly.[/quote] Code: Event[3701]: Log Name: System Source: Disk Date: 2018-02-01T13:27:13.986 Event ID: 51 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: DEEJAY Description: An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 during a paging operation.[/quote] Code: Event[1985]: Log Name: System Source: Disk Date: 2018-01-21T15:42:38.703 Event ID: 51 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: DEEJAY Description: An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR2 during a paging operation.[/quote]

zbook, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Laptop doesn't shut down properly

1. Laptop doesn't shut down properly - Similar Threads - Laptop doesn't shut

2. Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly: Hi,I wonder if someone can help.Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly. I go thru the normal procedure of clicking 'shut down', blue screen, whirling time icon etc. Screen goes dark but power light and internet light stay on and the machine stays warm until I press power...
  3. Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly: Hi,I wonder if someone can help.Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly. I go thru the normal procedure of clicking 'shut down', blue screen, whirling time icon etc. Screen goes dark but power light and internet light stay on and the machine stays warm until I press power...
  4. Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
  5. Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly

6. Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. laptop doesn't shut down

laptop doesn't shut down: Hello guys, after the recent update i'm not able to shut down my laptop. When i click on shutdown it goes to lock screen and when i try to shut down from lock screen it again gets stuck on lock screen. kindly help...
  8. Laptop not shutting down properly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop not shutting down properly: For like 3 4 years at this point my laptop wont shut down properly, it worked fine when it was on win7 but at some point i upgraded to win8.1 and on 10 since its release. When i turn it off/hibernate, instead of shutting down properly everything "shuts down" but for some...
  9. My laptop doesn't shut down properly

in Windows 10 Support
    My laptop doesn't shut down properly: Hello, so i have a Dell Inspiron 13 7000 (P57g001), i bought it back in April and in the last few weeks it started to freeze whenever i try to shut it down or put it to sleep or hibernate. It is clear that the OS (win 10) is closing all the programs but when it turns the...
  10. Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 doesn't shut down properly: I have a laptop ASUS Zenbook UX303LN. I made a clean install to Windows 10 and now it doesn't shut down properly. When I shut it down, the screen goes black, but the power light remains on and I have to shut it down manually. Also, I sometimes cannot restart it when it...