Windows 10: laptop is missing "scan with windows defender" context menu entry

Discus and support laptop is missing "scan with windows defender" context menu entry in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; So this is an old laptop. We're talking core2duo old. Its running the 20H2 build of windows 19041.153. (so are all my pc's at this point) for some... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by klepp0906, Mar 24, 2020.

1. klepp0906 Win User

laptop is missing "scan with windows defender" context menu entry

So this is an old laptop. We're talking core2duo old. Its running the 20H2 build of windows 19041.153.

(so are all my pc's at this point)

for some reason it doesnt have the context menu entry for scan with windows defender. The other pc's do.

All settings are 1:1 as far as how windows defender is set up. Only things disabled are realtime & tamper. It still runs if i scan manually. still runs during maintenance etc.

I'm trying to simply get the context menu entry back.

Now i DO potentially recall visiting this in the past. WAY in the past and im old, so i could be purely imagining things. At that time, i vaguely remember something like it not being supported on my laptop/configuration for some particular reason hence its absence?

Either way, I cant find a trace of information like that now. It would have to be some kinda hardware limitation anyhow i imagine since again - same windows versions.

Either way, how can I get this sorted? What are the reg keys I want to look at perhaps? Anyone seen anything like this?

:)

klepp0906, Mar 24, 2020

2. "scan with Windows Defender" missing in context menu

With the upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 my MS Security Essentials (MSE) was replaced by Windows Defender. MSE once was a competitive antivirus, but Microsoft has been neglecting it the past years. Definition updates kept arriving, but bugs were not fixed and
    AFAIK nothing new to program itself was added. Windows Defender seems to me as an active step backwards. In MSE I could right-click on a file or folder and choose "Scan with Microsoft Security Essentials". This is missing in my Windows 10 Pro. The "custom
    scan" opens on the My Computer level and makes you navigate all the way down to the folder to scan.

Does anyone know a registry hack to get it back in the context menu?

Willem Weetjewel, Mar 25, 2020
  3. Custom context menu entries

So, just throwing this out there, in case somone knows.

I have added a custom context menu entry for the program rightload, since by default the menu is broken in vistax64.

It works pefect with single files, but when I select mutiple files and try to open, I get mutiple instances of the program (which makes sense), here is my entry:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Rightload\Rightload.exe --server=1 --autostart %1

So the %1 passes the filename to the program, and when I select multiple files it is just opening multiple instances of rightload each with a different file.

What I'd like to do is be able to pass a list of the files selected to the program. Since I know it is capable of uploading multiple files from the context menu, all in one instance.

So, is there something I can pass besides %1 that will do this? I have looked around and can't seem to find an answer anywhere... *Frown laptop is missing "scan with windows defender" context menu entry :(

ArmoredCavalry, Mar 25, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

Brink, Mar 25, 2020
Thema:

1. laptop is missing "scan with windows defender" context menu entry - Similar Threads - laptop missing scan

2. All the entries in the "New menu" in Windows context menu are missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All the entries in the "New menu" in Windows context menu are missing: Suddenly, all the entries from my "New" context menu disappeared, I don't know why. I've tried restoring the defaults, enabling, disabling new entries, nothing helped, no entries in the menu. How to restore it?...
  3. All the entries in the "New menu" in Windows context menu are missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All the entries in the "New menu" in Windows context menu are missing: Suddenly, all the entries from my "New" context menu disappeared, I don't know why. I've tried restoring the defaults, enabling, disabling new entries, nothing helped, no entries in the menu. How to restore it?...
  4. All the entries in the "New menu" in Windows context menu are missing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. How to get the "Scan with Windows Defender” context menu?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to get the "Scan with Windows Defender” context menu?: How to get the "Scan with Windows Defender” context menu in Windows Explorer?Win 10 Home 64 bit, new high-specs PC; I am reluctant to make registry changes....
  6. Can't scan with Windows Defender context menu

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't scan with Windows Defender context menu: in 1803, i can't scan with context menu. it says admin limited access to some areas of the app. that's on the admin account. any idea how to fix? (ps.. using 3rd party av.. though why should that matter? worked in 1709) 109765
  7. Windows 10 context menu option to "Scan with Windows Defender"

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 context menu option to "Scan with Windows Defender": All Can someone tell me if the option above has vanished as a result of the Windows Update of 10 10 2017? I no longer see this option. How can I re-enable it? Thanks . 95206
  8. delete context menu entry

in Windows 10 Customization
    delete context menu entry: Hello every one,cannot delete specific entry [img] have uninstalled,cleaned registry entries with RevoUninstaller and CCleaner,manually looked for all entries in Registry Editor,used Shellex and Shellview,nothing seems to handle it.Any hints? 13024
  9. Creating a new entry in the context menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Creating a new entry in the context menu: Hello from Germany. Is it possible to create a new entry in the context menu in "new"? I often need an empty paint-pic. For example: [img] Thank you. 39917
  10. Scan with Windows Defender Context Menu - Add in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Scan with Windows Defender Context Menu - Add in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Scan with Windows Defender Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove "Scan with Windows Defender" Context Menu in Windows 10 Windows Defender helps protect your PC against malware (malicious software) like viruses, spyware, and other...