Windows 10: Scan with Windows Defender Context Menu - Add in Windows 10

Discus and support Scan with Windows Defender Context Menu - Add in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add or Remove Scan with Windows Defender Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove "Scan with Windows Defender" Context Menu in Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by theoldfarter, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Scan with Windows Defender Context Menu - Add in Windows 10

How to: Add or Remove Scan with Windows Defender Context Menu in Windows 10

How to Add or Remove "Scan with Windows Defender" Context Menu in Windows 10

Windows Defender helps protect your PC against malware (malicious software) like viruses, spyware, and other potentially unwanted software. Malware can infect your PC without your knowledge: it might install itself from an email message, when you connect to the Internet, or when you install certain apps using a USB flash drive, CD, DVD, or other removable media. Some malware can also be programmed to run at unexpected times, not only when it's installed.

Windows Defender is included with Windows and helps keep malware from infecting your PC in two ways:
    • Providing real-time protection. Windows Defender notifies you when malware tries to install itself or run on your PC. It also notifies you when apps try to change important settings.
    • Providing anytime scanning options. Windows Defender automatically scans your PC for installed malware on a regular basis, but you can also start a scan whenever you want. Windows Defender automatically removes (or temporarily quarantines) anything that's detected during a scan.
    This tutorial will show you how to add a Scan with Windows Defender context menu for all users to be able to scan one or more files, folders, or drives on demand in Windows 10.

While you must be signed in as and administrator to be able to add or remove the "Scan with Windows Defender" context menu, all users will be able to use the context menu.

*note If you have a 3rd party AV program installed, the Scan with Windows Defender context menu will be disabled by default until the 3rd party AV program is uninstalled.

EXAMPLE: "Scan with Windows Defender" context menu

Scan with Windows Defender Context Menu - Add in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Here's How:

1. Do step 2 (add) or step 3 (remove) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Add "Scan with Windows Defender" to Context Menu
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Add_Scan_with_Windows_Defender-UI.reg

Download

3. To Remove "Scan with Windows Defender" from Context Menu
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Remove_Scan_with_Windows_Defender-UI.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

theoldfarter, Oct 6, 2015

2. Windows defender in Windows 10 64 bit

It was actually "taken away" in Windows 8/8.1; but “Scan with Windows Defender” was added to the Windows 10 context menu in November:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/windows-10-november-update-right-click-scan-windows-defender

In Windows 8/8.1 you can add a Windows Defender command line scan to the context menu with either a downloaded reg file, or a DIY batch file:

"scan with Windows Defender" missing in context menu

GreginMich, Oct 6, 2015
  3. Windows defender in Windows 10 64 bit

How to add "scan with windows defender" in the context menu of windows 10 64 bit ?

And also I am not able to scan individual files with windows defender, It is scanning only folder through custom scan mode...... How to scan files (for example ".exe" files) through custom scan mode ?

Ashish kumar-231, Oct 6, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Scan with Windows Defender Context Menu - Add in Windows 10

Brink, Oct 6, 2015
  5. Here are two snips.

Darn it, the snips did not attach ... working on it. lol

The first one is against the folder and the second is against the file, in the folder.

theoldfarter, Oct 6, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Interesting. I must admit that I'm not sure why it skipped scanning the file when you scanned the folder.

As long as it's clear when you scan the file, it's fine though.

Brink, Oct 7, 2015
  7. Look again at the second snip. That was against the .exe file...which it skipped. So, if it reports that it skipped scanning the .exe, then doesn't that mean that it did NOT scan the .exe?

theoldfarter, Oct 7, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Correct. Skipped means that it didn't scan the file for whatever reason when you scanned the folder.

The first screenshot where you did scan the file showed no threats though.

Brink, Oct 7, 2015
  9. I have tried scanning all sorts of files and get the 'skipped' message each time. By your comment, you think that because scanning the folder a file is in results in no threat found, that it has scanned the file inside. To be 100% sure, one would need to put a known 'nasty' .exe in a folder and 1) scan the folder and 2) scan the exe. If the folder scan was fine and the exe is skipped, then there is a problem. I don't have a 'nasty' exe to test it against. Perhaps you, or someone else, are able to the test?

I have not run my .exe as I did not download it from where I normally do. It is better to be safe than sorry *Smile

10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I tested the scanner using a .txt file I created using this below for a safe AV test file. It's meant to trigger a threat, but is safe since it's only a false positive. WD instantly detected it, and I had to be fast to run the context menu scanner on the folder before WD deleted the file. The context menu scanner found the file as a threat.

Intended use ° EICAR - European Expert Group for IT-Security

If you like, upload your .exe file in a .zip file, and I'll test to see if it does the same for me.

Brink, Oct 7, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I created a new folder with the same name, and move the file to the same location as in your screenshot. Afterwards, I scanned the folder without the file getting skipped.

As a test, move the folder to your desktop to see if you have the same issue there.

Brink, Oct 7, 2015
  12. Works as it should on the Desktop. Think I know the reason why the 'skipping' was happening. As my Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures & Videos folders come to 269GB in size and because, mistakenly perhaps, I thought that 'nasties' would not be in those folders, I had excluded them from being scanned by Windows Defender. I will now move items I do not want to be scanned into a folder of their own and only exclude that. Scanning 269GB takes some time!

13. Scan with Windows Defender Context Menu - Add in Windows 10

Do others on this forum scan their Music, Pictures and Video folders?

14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Ah, I see now. Yeah, if you excluded it, then that would be why it was skipped.

WD has real-time protection, but it never hurts to scan them every so often to be safe.

Brink, Oct 7, 2015
  15. remco8264 Win User
    It seems this function has been added in the Windows 10 November Update (build 10586). A clean install has the ''Scan with Windows Defender'' option in the context menu, which launches the program itself (not a command prompt).

remco8264, Nov 11, 2015
Thema:

1. Scan with Windows Defender Context Menu - Add in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Scan Defender Context

2. How to get the "Scan with Windows Defender” context menu?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to get the "Scan with Windows Defender” context menu?: How to get the "Scan with Windows Defender” context menu in Windows Explorer?Win 10 Home 64 bit, new high-specs PC; I am reluctant to make registry changes....
  3. laptop is missing "scan with windows defender" context menu entry

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    laptop is missing "scan with windows defender" context menu entry: So this is an old laptop. We're talking core2duo old. Its running the 20H2 build of windows 19041.153. (so are all my pc's at this point) for some reason it doesnt have the context menu entry for scan with windows defender. The other pc's do. All settings are 1:1 as far as...
  4. Can't scan with Windows Defender context menu

Can't scan with Windows Defender context menu: in 1803, i can't scan with context menu. it says admin limited access to some areas of the app. that's on the admin account. any idea how to fix? (ps.. using 3rd party av.. though why should that matter? worked in 1709) 109765
  5. Windows 10 context menu option to "Scan with Windows Defender"

Windows 10 context menu option to "Scan with Windows Defender": All Can someone tell me if the option above has vanished as a result of the Windows Update of 10 10 2017? I no longer see this option. How can I re-enable it? Thanks . 95206
  6. Update not working with Add "Scan with Windows Defender" to Context Me

Update not working with Add "Scan with Windows Defender" to Context Me: Hi I merged the reg file Add "Scan with Windows Defender" to Context Menu found here Scan with Windows Defender Context Menu - Add in Windows 10 and it works well but when I run Update and scan from the context menu I get the following error in the cmd box Signature...
  7. Add Restart Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Restart Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Add Restart Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add Restart Context Menu in Windows 10 Restart will close all apps, sign out all users, and full shutdown and restart (reboot) the PC. Starting with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update: Old behavior: - When...
  8. Add Windows Defender Firewall context menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Windows Defender Firewall context menu in Windows 10: How to: Add Windows Defender Firewall context menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Windows Defender Firewall context menu in Windows 10 [img] Information Starting with Windows 10 build 16193, Windows Firewall has been renamed to Windows Defender Firewall....
  9. Email - Add to Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Email - Add to Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Email - Add to Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add Email to Context Menu in Windows 10 [img] Information You can use Email from the Share tab in the ribbon of File Explorer by default when you have files and/or folders selected. It allows you to send the...
  10. Add Windows Defender Antivirus context menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Windows Defender Antivirus context menu in Windows 10: How to: Add Windows Defender Antivirus context menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Windows Defender Antivirus context menu in Windows 10 Windows Defender Antivirus helps protect your PC against malware (malicious software) like viruses, spyware, and other...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. add scan with windows defender context menu in s mode