Windows 10: Last update caused all custom file associations to reset to defaults

Discus and support Last update caused all custom file associations to reset to defaults in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My PC updated Windows 10 yesterday afternoon ("Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3135173)". After rebooting, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by pjfarr, Feb 9, 2016.

1. pjfarr Win User

Last update caused all custom file associations to reset to defaults

My PC updated Windows 10 yesterday afternoon ("Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3135173)". After rebooting, it completely screwed all my custom file associations (mostly for media files: photos, audio, and video).

A few minutes after the reboot, the Action Center started firing popups at me, one after the other, every few seconds:
    with a different file extension for each popup (avi, bmp, mp4, and so on) . Even .pdf files were changed from Adobe Reader to Microsoft Edge. As well, all my custom context menu items for these same file types were also deleted. I spent a lot of time setting these associations up and now they were all obliterated. I'd backed them all up in a .reg file but running it didn't do anything. So with a heavy (and angry) sigh I started manually changing the associations back to the way I had them. However, each time I finished making a change within seconds the Action Center would fire the same message as before at me for the file type I'd just changed and it would be reset back to the MS default again.

Finally in exasperation, I just used System Restore to go back before the updates and that solved the problem. Now, the Action Center keeps nagging me to set a time to reinstall this same update. I know I can't block it indefinitely, and there are probably important security patches in it I should have. So the question is: How can I stop it from f'ing up my file associations again?

A Google search indicated others were having this same issue, but so far no one's figured out how to stop it.

:)

pjfarr, Feb 9, 2016
  2. suat.cini Win User

What an effective reply I had given. After seven months of my reply, you had taken the burden to comment about it. My reply was, simply, to indicate that some systems might not be affected after the application of a patch as some other systems might. I believe
    this means something to those who are able to understand the implications.

Have a nice day.

suat.cini, Feb 9, 2016
  3. Last update caused all custom file associations to reset to defaults

Microsoft posted some information on this issue
    here

Charles [MSFT], Feb 9, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Feb 9, 2016
  5. pjfarr Win User
    Thanks dalchina for the link. It looks promising. I used the procedure to save my custom associations. One (possibly dumb) question: the tutorial specifies "This tutorial will show you how to export and import your custom default app associations in Windows 10 to be applied for each new user afterwards during their first sign in." Does this mean it can only be used with a newly set up user profile?

pjfarr, Feb 9, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, my reading of it is that its title states a specific intended application of storing the associations and restoring them to help create a working environment when creating a new user profile as a convenience tool.

That is, although I would expect it to back up your associations and restore them in the same account, that usage of the xml file is simply not described because it wasn't one Brink was thinking about.

dalchina, Feb 9, 2016
  7. pjfarr Win User
    Update:

Realizing that all the default apps that were hogging the media file types were Windows Metro apps (“Films & TV”, “Photos”, “Groove Music”, etc.) I found this tutorial on how to uninstall and remove all the apps that ambushed my custom file associations (I’d never used those apps anyway). I figured if the apps were gone it would free up those file types. After removing the apps, my custom file associations reappeared, without having to manually set them up again. So far everything seems fine now. Here are the specific apps I removed to recover control of photo, audio, and video file types and the commands to remove them:

In an elevated PowerShell window, cut & paste each line, pressing ENTER after each entry:
    Code: Get-AppxPackage *zunemusic* | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage *zunevideo* | Remove-AppxPackage Get-AppxPackage *photos* | Remove-AppxPackage[/quote]

pjfarr, Feb 10, 2016
  8. Last update caused all custom file associations to reset to defaults

Hmmm... uninstalling in PowerShell isn't working for me. I've tried it both as a logged in Administrator, and Run As from a limited account, and rebooted after - but the Apps are still there.

Greybeard2016, Feb 11, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Note that removed universal apps will most probably be reinstated by Windows
    a. if you do an in-place upgrade reinstall
    b. in the next major upgrade build (like 10586)

dalchina, Feb 11, 2016
  10. pjfarr Win User
    Greybeard2016 - How are you opening PowerShell? Just being logged in as an Administrator isn't enough. Find it on the Start Menu and right-click on the icon, then choose "Run as an administrator". Then copy & paste each command, one at a time, pressing the ENTER key after each pasting and waiting for the command to finish before pasting the next one.

Apologies if this is what you already did—just making sure in case you missed something.

pjfarr, Feb 11, 2016
  11. Thanks - that is indeed what I've done. I tried first from a limited account (with Run as Administrator as you say) then when that didn't work I logged in with admin rights, and did the same thing, Run as Administrator, and the Apps are still there.

12. pjfarr Win User
    Maybe try this freeware app that runs the commands for you:
    10AppsManager: Uninstall, reinstall Windows 10 Store apps

Also, here's a tutorial with an alternative PowerShell procedure:
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/uninst...sic-windows-10
    It focuses mainly on the music app, but if you scroll down there's a technique for using it on other apps.

I haven't tried either of these because I didn't need to, but I found them while searching for the solution and pinned them for later reference.

pjfarr, Feb 11, 2016
  13. Last update caused all custom file associations to reset to defaults

Thanks, pjfarr. I've now tried that alternative Powershell procedure.

Get-AppxPackage –AllUsers returns a list that includes the Photo app, but when I use the full name to remove it, the app is not found.

If I use Get-AppxPackage without the qualifier (which I guess lists the packages for the current user) Photo isn't listed. Yet if I click on a .gif, it opens in Photo

I'll need leave it for now as I've other things to do - for the present, I'll manage without using the file associations, use right-click OpenWith, or open the App I want to use and browse to the file. Thanks for your help - I'll post here if I find out any more.

14. dalchina New Member
    Not sure if it's relevant in your case, as typically the symptom reported is that associations are reset to default on restart. Yours sounds possibly different. In the typical case, it seems some old version programs can be responsible. You might like to check my Sumo idea (below).

Winzip (old version) is one program that has been reported as having this effect. (I've just seen what seems to be a second).
    It might be reasonable to think other programs could equally have such an effect.

Elsewhere I've suggested using the free SUMO update checker to scan installed programs and update them where reasonable.

(Use the version labelled Lite or 'nork' to avoid adware - 'Related Knowledge' - otherwise it's the most comprehensive update scanner around)

dalchina, Feb 12, 2016
  15. I ran Malwarebytes last night, for the first time in several weeks. It found some kind of Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP). I didn't recognize it, so I instructed Malwarebytes to move it to the virus chest.

After doing so, I received a bunch of those notifications saying that a program caused an error with file associations, so .jpeg, .pdf, etc.. were reset to default.

I don't remember ever changing any of the default associations since installing Win-10 in September 2015. Not a big thing, but it's curious how these "association resets" occurred after removed the PUP. Probably not a coincidence.

AllenChicago, Feb 20, 2016
Thema:

1. Last update caused all custom file associations to reset to defaults - Similar Threads - Last update caused

2. How to reset a file association

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to reset a file association: This one might be complicated. But I accidentally hit open with notepad on an .iwi file. Of which I think doing so has broken my call of duty. I looked at various instances of people removing file associations but I'm just too slow to follow. I've tried though the settings,...
  3. Fix for “An App Default was Reset” Windows 10 Resets File Associations

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fix for “An App Default was Reset” Windows 10 Resets File Associations: I installed Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC (Build 1809). When I download an image file or video file I get this popup that this extension has been reset back to its defaults. Upon checking the default in PC Settings that application is still there so I'm wondering what's this...
  4. Fix for “An App Default was Reset” Windows 10 Resets File Associations

in Windows 10 Support
    Fix for “An App Default was Reset” Windows 10 Resets File Associations: I installed Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC (Build 1809). When I download an image file or video file I get this popup that this extension has been reset back to its defaults. Upon checking the default in PC Settings that application is still there so I'm wondering what's this...
  5. default file association

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    default file association: I just wanted to know what does the following cmd code do assoc .srt=* or is it a valid command https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-file-association/0094eb83-785f-4a7d-aadf-7c5a92f709b2
  6. default file type association

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    default file type association: hi, I am using windows 10 home version 2004 on HP laptop. so, unfortunately I set the .srt file to open with ''notepad'' as default. but I want to revert this and to set it to unknown file type as it was before. so, how can I do this? restore previous version is greyed out....
  7. Default file type association

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default file type association: Hi! On Win 10 I want to change default file extension association to an exe file, but the system doesn't allow it. It happens with other extensions and programs too, but now specifically I wanted to associate the standalone version of flash player to .swf extension. It...
  8. Windows 10 resets file associations to default

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 resets file associations to default: Why does Windows 10 change my file associations every day to force me to use Edge to open Adobe PDF files? Edge is an unacceptable substitute for Adobe Acrobat Professional. Windows also changes my photo-editing preference to Photos no matter how much I want my own choice....
  9. CUSTOM file extensions and CUSTOM icon association?

CUSTOM file extensions and CUSTOM icon association?: Windows 10 keeps changing icons associated with custom file extensions. It seems arbitrary because some new file types do work, others work for a while then randomly change. How to correctly create CUSTOM file extensions and have a CUSTOM icon associated to the extension?...
  10. resetting default appilcation associations

resetting default appilcation associations: At work we have a software program that several times a day will erase my default program associations for : Http, https, PDF, jpeg, mailto. So several times a day I need to manually re associate firefox, paint, adobe, outlook. It is annoying. I think the program that does it...