Windows 10: Linking my new Microsoft account with the old account as the primary one

Discus and support Linking my new Microsoft account with the old account as the primary one in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hi microsoft community, I would like to know that if I have two microsoft accounts and I want to link them to one account i.e. making one primary... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by VatsalChoudhary, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Linking my new Microsoft account with the old account as the primary one

Hi microsoft community, I would like to know that if I have two microsoft accounts and I want to link them to one account i.e. making one primary account, how can this be done? I know the process of adding another email to your outlook mail, but I'm not looking for that answer. Just a simple process to link two microsoft accounts to one.

:)

VatsalChoudhary, Jul 2, 2019

2. Unable to change primary alias - Microsoft Account

Hi John,

As per the description, you are experiencing issue with you are unable to change the primary alias for your Microsoft account on the system.

I certainly understand your concern and appreciate all your efforts in trying to fix this issue.

I would like to provide you with the information that
    an account alias is an email address or phone number that you use to sign in to your Microsoft account. You can have multiple aliases, and use any of them with Microsoft services such as Outlook.com, Skype, OneDrive,
    Office, Xbox, Windows and more.

Your primary alias appears on devices such as your Xbox, Surface, and Windows Phone, and is the email OneDrive sends from when you share. You can choose a different alias to be the primary one at any time.

An alias is also the best way to change your email, but keep all your mail.
    Add an alias, then make the new alias primary. Then you can
    keep or remove the original alias.

I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if that helps.

Note: The email alias at the top of the list without a Make primary link is your current primary alias.

• Uncheck the Send me promotional offers from Microsoft box if you like, and click/tap on Yes to confirm.
    You may also try the following steps given below and check if that helps.

• Navigate to Start>Settings>Account>Your Account.
    • In the right pane, click on Sign in with a local account instead.
    • Provide your current Microsoft Account Password.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions.
    • You can leave the Enter Password option empty, however, it is highly recommended to keep a password on your system to keep it safe.

For reference:

I would suggest you to refer to the article given below and check if that helps.

Microsoft account help

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/products/microsoft-account

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant Gupta, Jul 2, 2019
  3. How to replace old Microsoft Account with a new Microsoft Account

Hi Hitendra,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. I understand your concern and I am glad to assist you.

I would suggest you to switch your Microsoft account to a Local account first and then switch back with a new Microsoft account. Please refer to the following steps:

Step 1:

• Type Manage your accounts
      in the search bar and click on it
    • Click on "sign in with a local account instead"
    • Press next and complete the process.
    • If you do not have a local account, leave the credentials blank and proceed.

Step 2: Now, on the newly converted Local account, follow these steps to add a new MSA.

1. In the Start search, type "Manage your accounts" and press Enter.

2. Choose 'Accounts'.

3. Click on "sign in with a local account instead"

4. Enter the Microsoft account ID and Password and click Next.

Hope this post helps. Get back to us for further queries. We are happy to help!

Joy Kemprai, Jul 2, 2019
  4. Addie Win User

Linking my new Microsoft account with the old account as the primary one

Cannot link/add my Microsoft Account to Local Account

Hello Ken,

Im using Win10 Build 1607 with all latest update.

I also run all related troubleshooters:
    • Windows Update
    • Store Apps (says i have to login in my microsoft account but thats the problem, i can't)
    • Microsoft Accounts

No Problem found. Also the suggestions from Microsoft didnt helped.

Addie, Jul 2, 2019
Thema:

Linking my new Microsoft account with the old account as the primary one

1. Linking my new Microsoft account with the old account as the primary one - Similar Threads - Linking Microsoft account

2. Changing my primary Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing my primary Microsoft account: I am currently trying to change the Microsoft account I use for this computer e.g. signing in, making purchases in the Microsoft Store, etc.. It was set up with an email I never use when it was first purchased, and I am planning to delete this one and link my primary email to...
  3. Changing my primary Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing my primary Microsoft account: I am currently trying to change the Microsoft account I use for this computer e.g. signing in, making purchases in the Microsoft Store, etc.. It was set up with an email I never use when it was first purchased, and I am planning to delete this one and link my primary email to...
  4. New Laptop, Old Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New Laptop, Old Microsoft Account: Hi All, I am buying a new laptop and would like to log into my current Microsoft account on it, so I can get my games back for free. I also have a lot of things on my current PC and I do not want that on my new one. If I log into to my Microsoft account will all of...
  5. Accidentally linked my new PC to an old Microsoft Account.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Accidentally linked my new PC to an old Microsoft Account.: I just built a new PC and when i went to register my Windows i accidentally linked it to a very old account which appears to be an xbox account from 15 years ago. Is there a way to unlink it from that account and relink it to my current Microsoft account which has all my...
  6. Linking my new account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Linking my new account: Hi microsoft community, I would like to know that if I have two microsoft accounts and I want to link them to one account i.e. making one primary account, how can this be done? I know the process of adding another email to your outlook mail, but I'm not looking for that...
  7. Linking two microsoft accounts to one

in Windows 10 Customization
    Linking two microsoft accounts to one: Hi microsoft community, I would like to know that if I have two microsoft accounts and I want to link them to one account i.e. making one primary account, how can this be done? I know the process of adding another email to your outlook mail, but I'm not looking for that...
  8. My UserName Microsoft Account linked to an old deleted one - can't change it.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    My UserName Microsoft Account linked to an old deleted one - can't change it.: As per 'Subject'. I somehow ended up with two Microsoft Accounts. I settled on just one and have deleted the unwanted one. However Windows still indicates me as being the old MS account. After logging on (with Local Logon which is my preference) I usually get a...
  9. Transfer files from old Microsoft account to the new one?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Transfer files from old Microsoft account to the new one?: I created a new Microsoft account on the laptop that I’ve bought recently. I’d like to know if I can transfer the files from my old Microsoft account that I used before....
  10. Old microsoft account vs new microsoft account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Old microsoft account vs new microsoft account: I keep getting asked to log into an account that I no longer have for Microsoft. I thought when a support staff person help me switch to the new account that the old one was going to either be deleted or would be merged with me new account. But Microsoft continues to ask me...