Windows 10: Local Account Password changed

Discus and support Local Account Password changed in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi, I have linked my Windows 10 app store to a BT provided email address. After rebooting it has asked me to login. It has changed my local account... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by caltheowl, Feb 4, 2016.

1. caltheowl Win User

Local Account Password changed

Hi,

I have linked my Windows 10 app store to a BT provided email address. After rebooting it has asked me to login. It has changed my local account from my name to my BT email address and asking for a password. This is not my normal password and has seemed to link my BT account within the Microsoft environment and assigned it a password. I now cannot log in to my PC. Any Ideas anyone? I have spoken to Microsoft about 15 times and just keep getting passed around. I have tried resetting the password via Microsoft but it fails every time. Any way i can switch to log in locally via my old password?

Thanks

:)

caltheowl, Feb 4, 2016
  2. Ken_816 Win User

Local Account password changed to Online Account Password

P.S. There is no clear and obvious way to sign out of the Windows Store. I HATE THIS.

Ken_816, Feb 4, 2016
  3. syssjr Win User
    Local Account password changed to Online Account Password

Hello,

I migrated machine from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 a couple of days ago. I have a couple of

Local accounts that I use for various reasons (work, play, etc..). I logged into one of the accounts

yesterday and decided to install an app from the Microsoft Store. Of course to do this I needed to

provide credentials to get the app. Once done, the app installed and everything was fine.

2 things happened inadvertently.

1) When logging into one of the other local accounts, I went to RDP to another machine. The default

username for the connection showed the Online account I used to setup the app under the other user/profile.

I would think it should have been blank, or at least the local account I was logged into.

2) When I tried logging back into the local account that I set up the Microsoft Store app under, I could not

log in. It stated that the password was incorrect. I tried using my online account password and it let me in.

So now, when I login with that local account, I have to use the online password. Is there a way to change

this so I can use my local password again ?

Thanks,

Steve

syssjr, Feb 4, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello and welcome to Ten Forums *Smile

I'm guessing you do not have a recovery disk and backup of your system or any restore points set because that would be the easiest way to get back to where you were.

I suggest you boot into safe mode from where you can create a new local account. Next time you login you can choose that local account and then copy over the files that you need from your old account that has got messed up. Once you have everything back you can then delete the original account.

Some tutorials that will help you through the process:

Boot to advanced startup options (use option 2 from the power icon on the Login page)

Boot into safe mode

Add a new user account
    - make sure it is a local account

Re-start and you should be able to login to this new user account. Your personal files will still be associated with your previous account but you can copy them from the C:\users\other username

Once you have got your new account to your liking you can delete the old one which got semi-converted to a Microsoft account - see here

Hope this all works out for you.

philc43, Feb 4, 2016
Thema:

1. Local Account Password changed - Similar Threads - Local Account Password

2. Prompt local user account to change their default password?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Prompt local user account to change their default password?: Windows 10 settings, Accounts, Family & Other Users, Add someone else to this PC. I create a new account with "I don't have this person's email", so it's just a local account.Is there a way that I can force it to prompt the user to change their local password when they first...
  3. Stuck changing local account password - need help

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Stuck changing local account password - need help: I changed my local account password. I then logged into my microsoft account and changed it to be the same. Unfortunately, I failed to realize I needed both upper and lower case. I made a proper password for the microsoft account and then went back to change the local one...
  4. Local Accounts Forgotten Passwords

in Windows 10 Support
    Local Accounts Forgotten Passwords: I will describe my situation as best I can. I don't know what I did to get into this situation. Please be gentle with me. I'm not 25 anymore and in the intervening years since I was 25 I have killed a lot of braincells as decribed in the Baggar Vance movie. I am a one man...
  5. Forgotten Local account password

Forgotten Local account password: Hi , I forgot my local account password on my laptop ,, how can i change it ,, as no option for forgot password ,, can you help thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/forgotten-local-account-password/dc5c1f71-6ad9-499d-a51c-1735b2dbb1b6
  6. Unable to change password for local account

Unable to change password for local account: The Ctrl-Alt-Delete menu has no option for changing password. The User Accounts panel from what remains of the decent Control Panel redirects me to the Settings app. The Settings app Accounts -> Sign-in options has Change disabled for Password. Microsoft cloud login is not...
  7. Password reset for local account

Password reset for local account: I changed the password on a local account and can not log in. How can I reset it if I can not get past the sign on screen? If I try the reset password option, it tells me to insert a USB drive. I did not set up the computer in the beginning, and no reset disc was made. Can I...
  8. Local Admin account password changed to unknown

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Local Admin account password changed to unknown: My local administrator account password has evidently been changed to something unknown to me. I am sure I am typing the password correctly, I've carefully tried several times. I have 3 local accounts on my machine and my Microsoft account (for purposes of this post I am...
  9. Reset Local Account Password

Reset Local Account Password: After a power glitch, Windows did not recognize my local password anymore Although I have been able to login using my Microsoft account password, I would like to be able to login locally again. How to achieve that? I have only found ways to reset the Microsoft account...
  10. Lost password (local account)

Lost password (local account): Hello - I have been using a local (non-microsoft) account to sign in to my laptop. I set a four digit pin a few months ago because it's easier to remember and use - however - I have forgotten my actual password. *Sad A month or so ago, I attempted to use the 'netplwiz'...