Windows 10: Local Account Syncing to wrong Microsoft Account

Discus and support Local Account Syncing to wrong Microsoft Account in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I have a situation where I log on to my Laptop using the local account for the laptop but once logged in the account is linked to my child's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MalcLand, Nov 16, 2018.

1. MalcLand Win User

Local Account Syncing to wrong Microsoft Account

Hi,

I have a situation where I log on to my Laptop using the local account for the laptop but once logged in the account is linked to my child's Microsoft account. If I go to settings the info has the local username and under it my childs Microsoft account. Surely there is way to stop syncing with this account altogether without setting up another admin account that has no sync. I can't find a way to do it and the online "Technical" support person knew less than me. At the moment the Microsoft account is asking me to Verify it but if I do that it will associate it with the child account. Under control panel I only see the local account and not the microsoft and my child's account does not have its own user unders windows users. any suggestions ?

:)

MalcLand, Nov 16, 2018
  2. silkstone Win User

Windows 8 with 2 Microsoft accounts?

I was thinking of doing that, but it will be a PITA setting everything up on the 2nd account again. I might go that way and just spend the time getting the account in order.

The problem is, I would need to switch at the start of every day. Extra reset and waiting for the settings to be applied etc. Also, I'm not sure whether one drive would be maintained after switching back to a local account. I wouldn't want to have to re-sync every time I logged in. I may have to do some testing to see if onedrive is maintained after switching back to a local account.

silkstone, Nov 16, 2018
  3. Mindweaver, Nov 16, 2018
  4. Kari Win User

Local Acct user and MS account user - sync them or merge them

If the local account is the one where you have most of your personal data, this is how I would do it:

• Sign in to your Microsoft account
    • Copy all documents, pictures and other personal data from Microsoft account's user folders to corresponding folders in user Public (contents of MS account Documents folder to Public Documents folder and so on)
    • Sign out from Microsoft account
    Notice that above steps are only required if Microsoft account user folders contain data you want to keep. If its user folders are empty or do not contain anything worth saving, you can skip the above steps. Continue from below.

• Sign in to the local account
    • Delete the Microsoft account (Option One in this tutorial)
    • Switch your local account to a Microsoft account (tutorial)
    • Copy the data backed up from old Microsoft account to Public folders to new Microsoft account in corresponding folders

That's it. Using the Public folders as temporary storage you will have none whatsoever file owner / permission issues later on.

Thema:

1. Local Account Syncing to wrong Microsoft Account - Similar Threads - Local Account Syncing

2. Local account and Microsoft account

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Local account and Microsoft account: Hi, I recently switched my windows 10 computer from the Microsoft account to a local account. Since I have no use for the "Microsoft account", that is the Microsoft account online to which my windows 10 is connected, can I delete the Microsoft account? I don't use any...
  3. Local Account / Microsoft Account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Local Account / Microsoft Account: I have a desktop & a laptop and on both the devices I have logged in with my Microsoft account, but unlike my desktop when I login to my laptop, it makes me sign with a password not a pin which I had setup myself in Settings>Sign-in options>Password. To remove this I simply...
  4. Local account to microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Local account to microsoft account?: So my microsft account is linked with a activated windows theres no problem with that. I built a pc and before installing windows with a local account i have some question. I know you can log in with your microsoft account after seting it up with a local account but will the...
  5. Microsoft account or local account ?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft account or local account ?: Because i am keep getting microsoft account problem every day, i am planning to start login with local account instead microsoft account. Before i change to local account i would like to ask some question here. 1. What windows feature will be lost if i am not using mc...
  6. Microsoft account or local account ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Microsoft account or local account ?: Because i am keep getting microsoft account problem every day, i am planning to start login with local account instead microsoft account. Before i change to local account i would like to ask some question here. 1. What windows feature will be lost if i am not using mc...
  7. Microsoft Account Syncing to Local Account on Different PC

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Account Syncing to Local Account on Different PC: Hello, how in the world is this happening? I have an account on a laptop that is local and I am the only administrator. On my desktop PC, I only have a single account which is a Microsoft account. Somehow, my desktop wallpaper has synced onto my laptop local account from...
  8. Microsoft Account and Syncing

Microsoft Account and Syncing: Hi Everyone I have just discovered the sync settings in Windows 10 and found out about how I can sync my settings and themes (which I am particularly interested in) I had the settings enabled with my computer and surface also with my existing Microsoft account signed in...
  9. local account/Microsoft account

local account/Microsoft account: I have been using Windows 10 for about a week. I set up two accounts - one administrator, the other regular user. When attempting to update Windows 10, I got a message saying because I did not login a Microsoft account, some updates couldn't be downloaded. So, I had to create...
  10. Microsoft Account and Syncing

in Windows 10 Support
    Microsoft Account and Syncing: I have often wondered what happens when you upgrade Windows with regards to syncing settings etc. For Windows 10 I don't want to find that I am syncing settings from older versions of Windows or from Windows 10 beta. So how do I ensure that for the first install of...