Windows 10: Locked out

Discus and support Locked out in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Windows 10 updated and totally changed my desktop appearance, I wanted to change it back but I messed up and now I'm locked out of the laptop. When I... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Tabitha, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Tabitha Win User

Locked out

Windows 10 updated and totally changed my desktop appearance, I wanted to change it back but I messed up and now I'm locked out of the laptop. When I switch it on it doesn't prompt for password. Nothing seems to work. I've tried pressing F8 so I can sign in with safe mode but even this doesn't work. I only get the duplicate screen function.
    Anyone with an idea on how I can sign in without losing my files kindly assist. Or any advice on what should be done.

:)

Tabitha, Oct 8, 2016

2. Locked out

thank you for your response.

It is laptop Lenovo Ideapad 100. The OS is windows 10 i think it is home license. Currently i can not log in into my OS so i have no information for point 4.

JhonsonLee, Oct 8, 2016
  3. locked out

Yes, thx for the answer. I tried safe mode and still am locked out.

I get the same messsage that I spoke about in my previous post.

HELP....

KarenWebber, Oct 8, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

Locked out

Can you use a cellphone or digital camera to take a picture of the screen you do see and post it here? That will help us decide what to suggest next. Thanks!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 9, 2016
  5. Tabitha Win User
    The screens as they appear

Tabitha, Oct 9, 2016
  6. EdTittel Win User
    OK, this is good: you've a lock screen and it shows your network drivers are not loaded (the X on the network icon at lower right). This means Windows is still at least partially booting. When you reboot, can you get your PC to boot from an alternate device? If so, I can help you build a bootable repair USB Flash Drive from which you can repair your system. Do you have access to a second computer with Internet access, or can you borrow one? A working computer will be required to pull this off.
    Please advise, and thanks!
    Also I can see you've got a Dell laptop of some kind. Can you tell me what make and model it is, which CPU, how much memory, and disk drive(s) inside? Doesn't have to be exact, just your best guess or "I don't know" is OK for everything except Dell lappy info (I can find the rest from that anyway).

--Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 9, 2016
  7. Tabitha Win User
    Thank you! I can get another computer with internet access, would a desktop be okay for this? It's a Inspiron 15 3000 series 500gb I think 4 or 3 drives

Tabitha, Oct 10, 2016
  8. Locked out

Hi have you tried this before.
    where the arrow shows on your screen have you left clicked your touch pad, as that may bring up your log in screen.
    Also have you clicked on the red x for the internet, as that should bring up several networks, find yours and see if you can click to reconnect your network.
    Why I am asking is because my friend had the same trouble on his laptop, and that is what I did to get it up and working again for him.
    Let us know how you get on
    If none of that works then, do use another computer, the one you have written about will do.
    Also when you pressed F8 did you press FN at the same time, also F8 Safe mode on windows 10 does not believe work.

hTconeM9user, Oct 10, 2016
  9. faraz Win User
    I am not an expert but have you tried pressing shift and then restarting using the power button on screen? it opens some more options for reset and such. One of my friend had an issue like this and it reset windows from there.

faraz, Oct 10, 2016
  10. Tabitha Win User
    Hello, the touchpad makes no difference, I tried that and it doesn't work. When I click on the x it shows there are no network available. F8 and Fn also don't do it

Tabitha, Oct 10, 2016
  11. That is unusual as normally other peoples networks would show up also have you tried what Faraz suggested as that sometimes have been known to work, also it seems like you deleted something you should not have done,
    Your best bet now is to see if you can borrow another laptop etc and try the other idea put to you

hTconeM9user, Oct 10, 2016
  12. Tabitha Win User
    This did work after sometime and I did manage to troubleshoot and reset.
    I can log in now but it keeps hanging..It seems if you touch it a certain way it hangs, like if you were moving from point A to B and hold it on the bottom, it hangs and I have to remove the battery then switch on again after that

Tabitha, Oct 12, 2016
  13. Tabitha Win User

Locked out

I have managed to log in now. Could someone please diagnose why it keeps hanging now?

Tabitha, Oct 12, 2016
  14. EdTittel Win User
    Can you try starting up in safe mode to see if the system runs more normally? Your symptoms are now starting to sound like device driver trouble of some kind or another. Safe mode loads only minimal drivers and if it works for you, this will tell what to start troubleshooting. OTOH, if you have a backup to mine, or system restore turned on, we may end up rolling you back to a known good working configuration and try to start moving forward from there.

Here's a tutorial called Safe Mode -- Start Windows 10 in. Please give it a try and let us know what you find out.

Hang in there: we've got lots of things to try before there's cause for dire concern.

--Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 13, 2016
  15. faraz Win User
    well since you can get into windows now, does it still hang if u do nothing?Try other solutions like open cmd as admin and try sfc /scannow
    if it is hanging due to problems with your harddisk, some form of error would show up.

faraz, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Locked out

1. Locked out - Similar Threads - Locked

2. caps lock off - screen display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    caps lock off - screen display: Hello. I have been using my PC for at least 1 year now, but suddenly every time I press caps lock, there is a display on my screen that shows it too. It's been getting annoying, is there any way I can fix it?I have watched numerous videos on this, and they all require me to...
  3. caps lock off - screen display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    caps lock off - screen display: Hello. I have been using my PC for at least 1 year now, but suddenly every time I press caps lock, there is a display on my screen that shows it too. It's been getting annoying, is there any way I can fix it?I have watched numerous videos on this, and they all require me to...
  4. Annoying caps lock messgae

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Annoying caps lock messgae: Hi there, I got an HP envy laptop and when I was typing and used a caps lock it displayed an on caps lock notification. I tried every solution to remove it, but no success, so I need help...
  5. Annoying caps lock messgae

Annoying caps lock messgae: Hi there, I got an HP envy laptop and when I was typing and used a caps lock it displayed an on caps lock notification. I tried every solution to remove it, but no success, so I need help...
  6. How do i fix the caps lock on / off on my screen in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i fix the caps lock on / off on my screen in Windows 11: I dont know what i did, but now whenever i press Caps lock it displays this image / notification https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-fix-the-caps-lock-on-off-on-my-screen-in/1950abaa-5f58-4440-a7f8-1099871e13e1
  7. How do i fix the caps lock on / off on my screen in Windows 11

How do i fix the caps lock on / off on my screen in Windows 11: I dont know what i did, but now whenever i press Caps lock it displays this image / notification https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-fix-the-caps-lock-on-off-on-my-screen-in/1950abaa-5f58-4440-a7f8-1099871e13e1
  8. Every time I click my caps lock a notification pops up on my screen how do I turn this off?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Every time I click my caps lock a notification pops up on my screen how do I turn this off?: I must have triggered a key shortcut that has activated this notification that keeps on popping up https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/every-time-i-click-my-caps-lock-a-notification/2db80415-a18c-440a-a237-09f4cefe3bf9
  9. Every time I click my caps lock a notification pops up on my screen how do I turn this off?

Every time I click my caps lock a notification pops up on my screen how do I turn this off?: I must have triggered a key shortcut that has activated this notification that keeps on popping up https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/every-time-i-click-my-caps-lock-a-notification/2db80415-a18c-440a-a237-09f4cefe3bf9
  10. How to turn off visual caps lock indicator.

How to turn off visual caps lock indicator.: I have an HP Pavillion X360 which has been recently having weird problems. First it decided to remove all of my desktop icons, which is frustrating, but I gave up trying to fix it. Now, it's suddenly decided that it wants to flash the caps lock ON/OFF indicator every time I...